IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A quick review on IS300h

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 06:20 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayaans
But then that will reduce the efficiency which goes against the point of hybrids in the first place. I guess ill wait for an IS300h F Sport to arrive at the dealer and then test drive it thoroughly. It may be ok for what my wife needs it for and 220hp and torque from the engine + electric motors will be enough I think. My previous RX only had 201hp and took longer to hit 60mph than the IS300h but it was perfectly adequate.
Then you will have the both. Sport mode with engine always on for sporty driving and normal/eco mode with engine auto shutdown for saving fuel.

If the car is for your wife, than it should be more than enough. I still suggest that you go for the executive trim level which suits the car much better. It looks better too.
Old 06-07-13, 06:31 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
I guess we have to wait for the 2.0T to get a more sporty and more fun to drive car in Europe. IS 250 may be more fun than the IS 300h, but still , that engine is a crusier in every way. I really can´t see them use another than the 8 speed auto or som kind of "DSG" gearbox with 2.0T. And above all, a turbo is very easy to modify
I'm for it. And the performance should match the BMW 328i.
Old 06-07-13, 06:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Then you will have the both. Sport mode with engine always on for sporty driving and normal/eco mode with engine auto shutdown for saving fuel.

If the car is for your wife, than it should be more than enough. I still suggest that you go for the executive trim level which suits the car much better. It looks better too.
why would it suite the car better? I dont get it... you didnt even drive the F-Sport.

To me F-Sport looks a lot better and with AVS it still goes well over the bumps, so there is no reason not to get F-Sport.

It is like M Sport and S-Line "full" packages that everyone gets for their BMW and Audi's. I say full, because there you can only get parts of the package as well... so you get 120hp diesel with big wheels and outside spoiler, and all crap stock on the inside, if you want.
Old 06-07-13, 06:48 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
why would it suite the car better? I dont get it... you didnt even drive the F-Sport.

To me F-Sport looks a lot better and with AVS it still goes well over the bumps, so there is no reason not to get F-Sport.

It is like M Sport and S-Line "full" packages that everyone gets for their BMW and Audi's. I say full, because there you can only get parts of the package as well... so you get 120hp diesel with big wheels and outside spoiler, and all crap stock on the inside, if you want.
Cool it warrior. That's my unbiased thoughts after the test drive. You seems frustrated, had a bad day?
Old 06-07-13, 08:16 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well my wife prefers the F Sport wheels and the red leather so you know
Old 06-07-13, 08:18 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
I guess we have to wait for the 2.0T to get a more sporty and more fun to drive car in Europe. IS 250 may be more fun than the IS 300h, but still , that engine is a crusier in every way. I really can´t see them use another than the 8 speed auto or som kind of "DSG" gearbox with 2.0T. And above all, a turbo is very easy to modify
Id rather have a big engine than a turbo. Turbos suck
Old 06-07-13, 08:25 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Well my wife prefers the F Sport wheels and the red leather so you know
That's it then. If she like F-sport than she should get the F-sport.
Old 06-07-13, 05:13 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Made a deal with her. Said id buy it closer to december. Definitely an F Sport with red leather and id let her choose between stargazer black, matador red, ultra blue and ultra white.

Down side is, need to do more shifts so no holiday hahaha!
Old 06-07-13, 07:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Id rather have a big engine than a turbo. Turbos suck
Me too.
How about they sell the IS in 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 in the US and other markets where gasoline is relatively cheap.
Meanwhile, Europe can have IS's with small capacity turbos...
Old 06-08-13, 04:24 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

I live in Europe and I demand the IS350! I dont see why they cant atleast have it as an option. The people who buy Lexus in europe dont care about the price of fuel. The 2nd gen RX did 20mpg but still sold pretty well over here.
Old 06-08-13, 10:39 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Reason I'm asking is that second generation IS doesn't have a Sport mode. It has a S-mode that doesn nothing other than allows you to use the paddles which you can do anyway from D-mode on 2009 and up models.
Incorrect. Sport mode in the 2is is activated by the ECT power toggle button on the dash.
Old 06-08-13, 12:01 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Incorrect. Sport mode in the 2is is activated by the ECT power toggle button on the dash.
To add one more detail. The ECT/Sport mode only works when the car is in D mode. It means if you are in "S" mode and has the ECT/Sport enabled, the car won't make the shifting points more aggressive. So for myself, I seldom use it as I stick with "S" mode 100% of driving time. This is the case for my 06' IS and it was written in some Lexus technical publication for IS.

Not sure if it is still the case for 07'-13' IS, though.

Now, for the 2014' IS or any newer Lexus models that has the push/dial button, the Sport mode becomes much more useful. I tried the Sport mode in 13' ES loaner car and I can find the steering wheel more stiff and the car seems to shift more aggressively. So I like the new implementation by Lexus.
Old 06-08-13, 03:47 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

I live in Europe and I demand the IS350! I dont see why they cant atleast have it as an option. The people who buy Lexus in europe dont care about the price of fuel. The 2nd gen RX did 20mpg but still sold pretty well over here.
A lot has changed since then. Nobody would by a car like a RX 300/350 in Europe today. Especially when BMW, MB, Posche, Land Rover and others has their larger 6 cyl diesels that completely destroys the Lexus engines in every way. There is probably a good reason why like 9 of 10 countries has the 450h as the only option.

An IS 200 T would be a perfect replacement for the IS 250. Just testdrive a BMW 328i or Audi A4 2.0T and you will realize that it beats the 250 engine everywhere exept the noise. But I do agree that we should have the IS 350 too. A 4 cyl turbo can not compete with BMW 335, Mercedes C 350 or Audis 3.0T.
Old 06-08-13, 04:24 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Its not that. Lexus buyers in the UK seriously do NOT care about the efficiency if the engine OR the running costs. The only Lexus customers who care about efficiency go for the CT200h.

Why do I say this? Simply because, the Lexus IS250 is the best seller for Lexus after the CT200h in the UK even though it has a £280 a year road tax, which is the same as a BMW 335i and does 32MPG which is pretty low.

When a Lexus buyer in the UK pays £54,000 for an RX450h F Sport compared to a £46,000 Audi Q7 S LINE or a £48,000 BMW X5 M SPORT, you can be pretty sure that he doesnt care about the running costs.

Also, Lexus has a trick in the UK that the BMW's, Audi's and Mercs dont. EXCLUSIVITY. The Germans are everywhere, Lexus is one of the rarer brands in the UK. Ive previously had a Q7 before the facelift and an RX300 gen 2. MY RX F sport is the one that gets the most looks on the street and random people compliment on the new styling. The German brands dont get that kind of attention because theyre mainstream. Lexus over here is Indie.

Last edited by rayaans; 06-08-13 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 04:10 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AndyL
To add one more detail. The ECT/Sport mode only works when the car is in D mode. It means if you are in "S" mode and has the ECT/Sport enabled, the car won't make the shifting points more aggressive. So for myself, I seldom use it as I stick with "S" mode 100% of driving time. This is the case for my 06' IS and it was written in some Lexus technical publication for IS.

Not sure if it is still the case for 07'-13' IS, though.

Now, for the 2014' IS or any newer Lexus models that has the push/dial button, the Sport mode becomes much more useful. I tried the Sport mode in 13' ES loaner car and I can find the steering wheel more stiff and the car seems to shift more aggressively. So I like the new implementation by Lexus.
In the 07-13 IS, S mode is just a top gear limiter. I only used it to go downhill.

I like the implementation of S mode on my Volvo. Moving the shifter to the side activates S mode with a more aggressive shift pattern. Popping it up or down goes in to manual mode and allows direct control of the gear. But when you stop, it drops back to 1st gear. Steering wheel force is controlled separately via car config menu.

Quick Reply: A quick review on IS300h