IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS250 w/ mods Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 08:07 AM
Filthywill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question IS250 w/ mods Buying Advice

Hey all - I'm looking into buying a 3IS, and have scheduled to test drive and check one out this weekend by a private seller. It's a 2014 IS250 RWD with about 60K on it, and has had several mods done by the owner. The car comes with all the stock parts if I need to swap anything back which is key, and I'm not necessarily interested in it for the mods but rather the asking price for the mileage seems pretty fair.

There are two things that I want to make sure I am thorough on - the biggest being that it is running a 3P Airlift suspension system and I want to make sure there aren't any red flags. I actually like the idea of the air suspension assuming it's installed properly, and figure even if it isn't I can always bring it to a shop and have them check it out and correct anything that would be off. What should I be looking for and asking about here? I've been researching these systems and watching install videos for my 1IS, so I'm not totally clueless about hte system but it's not like I'm a technician or mechanic by any means.

My other concern is that the owner had the entire car repainted for some reason (Honestly I think they just wanted the color changed, will be discussing this with them in person more as well). There is some chipping on the front bumper I can see in photos that I have no problem getting fixed, it just seems odd there would be any chipping at all - so I wonder if it was just a ****ty quality paint job and if there is anything I should be looking for here as well.

They did upgrade the brakes to IS350 brakes, although I'm guessing that one is probably a pretty straight forward swap... Gonna research that more later to see if there's anything I should be worried about?

Anyways - I've owned an 02 IS300 for 13 years now, ready to build into something real nice and I want a newer one as a daily so I'm just trying to learn everything I can about the 3IS aftermarket stuff since at this point I'm very familiar with all the stock models and packages. If anyone has any tips/concerns or things I should be looking, listening, or feeling for I would greatly appreciate. I will 100% be taking the car for an independent inspection, but want to identify if I there are any deal breakers before wasting any time and money.
Old 05-13-20, 05:07 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

can't really speak on the air suspension as most ppl on the forum go for lowering springs so you might want to go to an air suspension forum for that, i would ask for warranty and the shop that did the install for that. just test it out if it airs out all the way and check for any leaks in the bags.

as for the paint, what color is the car now? you would want to k now if it's a completely different color than that means he was trying to change it to his own personal preference.. if the color is a stock IS color, that means he is hiding damage (whats the point of repainting the whole car a stock color?).

paint chipping on front bumper - i drive my car pretty aggressively so i see rock chips in my white car. it depends if the actual paint is chipping or rock chips, if the paint is coming off, that does mean it's a poor paint job

honestly, i don't think you should buy this car. the whole car is repainted? they just got rid of all the factory lexus paint for no reason.. seems like this car might've been beat on.. F the air suspension and get springs OR get a CLEAN IS and mod it yourself man
Old 05-13-20, 08:22 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I would be wary of buying that car. It doesn’t make sense to have the car priced low for the mileage after a full paint job and air suspension. Airlift suspension for our cars run $3k without installation alone. I know people dont expect to get the money they spent on mods back when selling but this one specifically sounds off to me.
Old 05-13-20, 08:23 PM
beeftits
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Best advice you’ll ever receive on this topic:

DO NOT buy the 250. Underpowered, grandma sedan. Get the 350. Especially, do not buy some overly modified f’d up ****wagon.

Only idiots do those sort of mods. Spend more and get clean, stock one.

If that’s the top range of what you can afford, then you should not be looking at this type of car.

You can thank me later.
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20, 12:54 AM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't think the 250 is problems merging onto the highway slow or anything...But yeah it's not what you would expect out of a "sports" sedan in this day in age.... Actually pretty similar to the OP current 02 is300, at least stock..The extra weight of the air suspension is not going to help though... Kind of think your onto something with the mods... If it's flaking then the paint job was probably cheap job at the least and might be hiding more damage... But OPs in MA...Any AWD 300s in your price range? You could always tune those to 350 power.

Last edited by Rhydg1; 05-15-20 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 08:07 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

As you can see the 250 usually doesn't get much love...but I think a key point here is that the 250 and 350 were built to do what they do independently...it's not a competition as to which is better.
Some people don't need the extra HP or less fuel mileage or higher insurance of the 350, so they get a 250...nothing wrong with that...the rest of the vehicle is virtually identical anyways.

To the specific 250 you're looking at here's a couple thoughts:
  1. If they kept all the stock parts, I think that says something positive about the owner that they had a vested interest in the car
  2. The 350 brake conversion is a pretty straight forward bolt-on (usually people just do the front)...the one thing to check is the front backing plates...did they just trim and bend the 250 ones to fit the 350 brakes, or did they actually install the 350 backing plates
  3. Don't know much about air suspension, so no comment on that
  4. Paint...I'm a little concerned they painted it, but if it was a color change I kind sort of understand...but they question is, what is the quality like. Did they paint inside the doors when you open them? I'm assuming they didn't paint inside the engine compartment or trunk. Are all the moldings around the windshields and windows fit back properly, or have any overspray? Have then air up the vehicle and check inside the wheel wells for overspray. A repaint doesn't mean a bad paint job.
  5. Chips...stone chips are going to happen, but is it just a chip, or is the paint now flaking off in chumps around the chip? That will give you some indication as to the quality of the paint job.
Old 05-14-20, 08:10 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Whats the asking price? Did I miss that?
Old 05-14-20, 01:16 PM
Filthywill
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses, appreciate it. Some of this stuff I'm sure I'll get straight forward answers to in person. Like the paint job, I think it was their style preference because it was a color change (from silver to white) and they did the roof in gloss black - so that's why I was more concerned about it just being a cheap paint job than actually trying to cover anything up. They seemed to really have invested a lot into the cars appearance between the airlifts, full carbon fiber lip kit, tint job, trunk spoiler, F Sport front bumper conversion, and stock F Sport wheels. Not to mention they are also running Work wheels, although I'm not interested in those.

The asking price is $20K and includes all of the stock parts that have been removed. A lot of the same year models with similar mileage I see cost more completely stock, but it's also dealership listings. So all things considered I don't think it's suspiciously cheap? The front bumper needs a little touching up, which they said is factored in the price - and a tiny dent on the passenger door.

Honestly I would never consider something like this without the stock parts being included - but the airlift thing at worse seems like something I could just disconnect if it really has issues, and throw some coilovers on (and then have the whole kit pretty much ready to throw on my 02 IS if I just get the struts for that). So in that sense I'm a pretty unique buyer, assuming the car actually is in good shape but we'll see.

I'm in no rush so will probably test a 350 while I'm at it, I really like the idea of going that route. The lack of power doesn't bother me since I'll be building my other IS into a monster, but it's hard to argue they are the best models.

Old 05-14-20, 01:30 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Ouch. That paint is chipping and can't imagine it took much to get started considering where it is. Not a good sign that early on. Looks nice though.

I don't usually do this (but just did yesterday lol) but I have a 14 350 woth 105k miles and RSR springs (oem boxed up too) and someother tasteful mods...$17.5k. Service records, the whole 9.
Old 05-14-20, 02:31 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

From the pic it looks like the engine bay is white...but if they did a color change from silver to white, then either I'm blind, the car was white, or they painted the engine bay white, after removing everything...otherwise it should be silver (same comment about the underside of the hood).
Might though on the front bumper is that it was just poor prep before it got painted, hence it coming off in patches. A proper repaint will correct that.
I like the wheels, too bad they're not the right size for the car...but you don't want them anyways, so no issues there.
Old 05-14-20, 05:57 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I would pass on that. Cheap cars are typically cheap for a reason and that one looks, and by your description sounds, rode hard and put away wet.
The following users liked this post:
Rhydg1 (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 05:12 AM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

20K for a RWD 250, that has a questionable paint job???Hard pass I've seen a Amazingly clean 19K miles super clean AWD 250 go for less than that...AWD factory F-sports 300s all over that price(19K+): and AWD/RWD real factory F-sport 350s going for ~10% more... In the NY area, all at dealers no less, lower mileage cars, so more expensive pricing than most of the country. IMO Keep looking as that's a hard pass. Not to mention it would have been a much better idea wrapping the car to change the color, rather than a cheap flaking paint job...So I don't think covering up something is out of the question...And even if it is not, who want's to deal with a crappy paint job? I mean some marks in the clear coat that could be paint corrected is one thing...But that thing is flaking. You don't want to be the guy to find out just how bad of a job the rest of it is, and end up spending thousands painting/warping the car to cover/undue the cheap paint job.
Old 05-15-20, 05:59 AM
Filthywill
Driver School Candidate

Honestly the RWD models are far more appealing to me than AWD, it seems like I'm pretty unique in that regard - but in my experience it just feels better to drive. They seem a bit more scarce though.

Thanks for the feedback - the more I think about it the more I want to try to get in a 350, they are just a little harder to come by at a decent price per mileage. I really wish this one had lower mileage - it's a very ideal package, pretty much everything I want except 106K on the clock, but it's been sitting there for a little while so maybe I can get some decent negotiations in...
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=549383076
Old 05-15-20, 07:03 AM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Well your in the NE...AWD is going to be most of the IS(s) in the area...If you were to look around FL,TX,CA they are all almost RWD cars...I was recomending the AWD 300 because they can be found around that price,used the same engine/trans combo from the 350, and can be easily tuned to get the extra power the 350 has back. I share your sentiment about RWD generally being better for drivability(and letting the tires lose sometimes). The rear bias AWD IS is not exactly a boat through the corners though, so it might be worth considering even with the personal RWD Bias...IMO Maybe try looking out of state for a RWD one if that is what you have your hear set on. Probably cheaper than NE pricing down south or in the mid west and more RWD ones to choose from.

Last edited by Rhydg1; 05-15-20 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 09:44 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Just found the price, $20k. Imo I'm not sure why there's so much discussion on it. Can get a super clean 40k mile for that price. Would be an easy pass for me. Likely seller trying to make their money back for their mods.

Another point (and there are of course exceptions. Me being one of them) people who mod their cars are far more likely to drive it hard. I don't see any evidence on this one thats not the case.

I would pass, easy.

Quick Reply: IS250 w/ mods Buying Advice