POLL. New IS or New 2014 Mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 04:43 PM
AOB87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL. New IS or New 2014 Mazda 6

Hello everyone,

Since Lexus has introduced the new IS, I have been thinking seriously of buying this car because I used to have 2007 IS and it was really a good car and great experience. However, the all-new 2014 Mazda 6 was released last month and I started to change my mind.

The new Mazda 6 has been completely redesigned and now it is longer, wider, and even more powerful and spacious than it used to be in the past. It has a 2.5 four cylinder engine that can produce 184 HP. Thank to Skyactive technology, new technology Mazda uses in their engines nowadays, Mazda 6 can accelerate to 60 mph in about the same time the IS 250 does even though it has a six cylinder engine and of course Mazda 6 has a better fuel consumption than the IS. I have already test driven the new Mazda 6 and I can say that it really does drive like a six cylinder car.

In addition, the new Mazda 6 is loaded with safety and entertainment technologies and features you can think of (six airbags, blind spot mentor, rear view camera, front and back parking sensors, radar, screen with DVD, Navigation, and Bluetooth capability, heated seat, 19 inch wheels...etc.). So it really offers anything you might need in a car. You can visit Mazda website if you would like to know more about the new Mazda 6

Another point to be considered, there is a great offer for the new Mazda 6 (in Saudi Arabia) as Mazda is trying to attract as many buyers as they can. Unfortunately this offer is only available for this month and the price then will go up (around 3 thousand dollars more than now)

With all that being said, I am really confused and I cannot so far take a final decision with many questions need to be answered.

Is Mazda more reliable than Lexus?
Does it drive better or worse than Lexus?
Is it more or less fun to drive?

I have watched so many reviews on Youtube and I can say that they were all positive.

I really would like to hear from you. What is your opinion? What do you suggest?

Thank you very much.
Old 05-15-13, 04:54 PM
tripsea
Driver School Candidate

If the question were Lexus ES vs Mazda6, then it would be Mazda6 all the way. The ES is more luxurious and faster, but the 6 gets way better mileage and costs 10k less. Comparing to the IS is totally different. IS is a RWD-based honest sport sedan, Mazda6 is a nice, somewhat sporty FWD-based family sedan.

I'm a Mazda guy, but no sale in this contest.
Old 05-15-13, 05:42 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are thinking about IS250 then its a tough one really.
Old 05-15-13, 06:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

OP these are different cars in different categories catered to different demographics. If you're confused on either then wait a month when you can test drive both
Old 05-15-13, 11:20 PM
AOB87
Driver School Candidate

tripsea and Hoovey.
I totally understand and agree with both of you. I'm stuck between two different cars in two different categories and this is exactly what I am trying to say

Thank you all for your reply.
Old 05-15-13, 11:55 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by AOB87
tripsea and Hoovey.
I totally understand and agree with both of you. I'm stuck between two different cars in two different categories and this is exactly what I am trying to say

Thank you all for your reply.
well a test drive can't hurt. I'd probably do both around the same time though so you don't develop emotions for the Mazda6 sooner before you get to experience the 3IS.

BTW, the 3IS will have 10 airbags vs the Mazda6's 6, bigger navi, and better tech from what I've experienced. That said the Mazda6 will be bigger and more fuel efficient. For what it's worth the Mazda6 I'm waiting to look at is the diesel version coming Stateside which has 310lbft
Old 05-17-13, 01:29 AM
AOB87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
well a test drive can't hurt. I'd probably do both around the same time though so you don't develop emotions for the Mazda6 sooner before you get to experience the 3IS.

BTW, the 3IS will have 10 airbags vs the Mazda6's 6, bigger navi, and better tech from what I've experienced. That said the Mazda6 will be bigger and more fuel efficient. For what it's worth the Mazda6 I'm waiting to look at is the diesel version coming Stateside which has 310lbft
I forgot to mention that in Saudi Arabia the Mazda 6 comes equipped with a 7 inch screen vs 5.8 inch for the US version. Also, it comes standard with fully automatic up&down four windows, and automatic folding and heated mirrors.

A diesel version seems to be a good choice but unfortunately we usually don't get diesel engines in Saudi Arabia.

Thank you
Old 05-17-13, 08:55 AM
Hoovey689

I forgot to mention that in Saudi Arabia the Mazda 6 comes equipped with a 7 inch screen vs 5.8 inch for the US version. Also, it comes standard with fully automatic up&down four windows, and automatic folding and heated mirrors.

A diesel version seems to be a good choice but unfortunately we usually don't get diesel engines in Saudi Arabia.

Thank you
sorry, your avatar said NY which is why I was using USDM specs. 7 Inch touch screen.... wow... once again US gets screwed
Old 05-17-13, 08:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

mazda 6 is nice shiny car for less money... but it is not luxury class vehicle... still, pricing difference should be big.
Old 05-17-13, 10:05 AM
mayuj
Driver School Candidate

If you plan to keep this car for a while, the Lexus is the better choice. They are the #1 most reliable car manufaturer in the world. Not my words but JD Power - see below link.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

If you dont plan to keep the car for too long and are keen on saving some money today while still getting similar features, then opt for the 6.

FYI, I sat in the 6 during the car show this past February and quite frankly thought it felt a little too, inexpensive. Not cheap but, not entry level luxury as would be the case with the IS.

FYI, I have the 2007 IS 250 and can speak to the quality of materials in the "higher end" Japanese cars vs the mid-level. There really is no comparison. Then there is the RWD vs FWD issue... for me the difference is too important to pick any FWD'er anymore. There is just something to say when you are pushed out of a turn (RWD) as opposed to being pulled out of one (FWD). Worlds apart to me...

Good luck with your decision and happy car shopping!

Last edited by mayuj; 05-17-13 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Link to JD Power
Old 05-18-13, 10:04 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello everyone,

Since Lexus has introduced the new IS, I have been thinking seriously of buying this car because I used to have 2007 IS and it was really a good car and great experience. However, the all-new 2014 Mazda 6 was released last month and I started to change my mind.

The new Mazda 6 has been completely redesigned and now it is longer, wider, and even more powerful and spacious than it used to be in the past. It has a 2.5 four cylinder engine that can produce 184 HP. Thank to Skyactive technology, new technology Mazda uses in their engines nowadays, Mazda 6 can accelerate to 60 mph in about the same time the IS 250 does even though it has a six cylinder engine and of course Mazda 6 has a better fuel consumption than the IS. I have already test driven the new Mazda 6 and I can say that it really does drive like a six cylinder car.

In addition, the new Mazda 6 is loaded with safety and entertainment technologies and features you can think of (six airbags, blind spot mentor, rear view camera, front and back parking sensors, radar, screen with DVD, Navigation, and Bluetooth capability, heated seat, 19 inch wheels...etc.). So it really offers anything you might need in a car. You can visit Mazda website if you would like to know more about the new Mazda 6

Another point to be considered, there is a great offer for the new Mazda 6 (in Saudi Arabia) as Mazda is trying to attract as many buyers as they can. Unfortunately this offer is only available for this month and the price then will go up (around 3 thousand dollars more than now)

With all that being said, I am really confused and I cannot so far take a final decision with many questions need to be answered.

Is Mazda more reliable than Lexus?
Does it drive better or worse than Lexus?
Is it more or less fun to drive?

I have watched so many reviews on Youtube and I can say that they were all positive.

I really would like to hear from you. What is your opinion? What do you suggest?

Thank you very much.
I had a 2003 Mazda6 and owned it for 7 years. I can say it was the best car I owned.
However, given the market perception in the USA, the Lexus carries more premium snob value, and I ended up with the Lexus. If both makes had the same market perception, I would go with the Mazda6. They build amazingly reliable cars. My 2003 was trouble free, more than my 2001 RX300. Fantastic build quality and amazing handling even though it was a FWD.
In fact, in back to back driving a BMW 2008 330i and my 2003 Mazda6 (with 18" wheels), the steering wheel (not the final handling) was very similar in daily driving conditions. That is a lot to say.
Old 05-18-13, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by chikoo
I had a 2003 Mazda6 and owned it for 7 years. I can say it was the best car I owned.
However, given the market perception in the USA, the Lexus carries more premium snob value, and I ended up with the Lexus. If both makes had the same market perception, I would go with the Mazda6. They build amazingly reliable cars. My 2003 was trouble free, more than my 2001 RX300. Fantastic build quality and amazing handling even though it was a FWD.
In fact, in back to back driving a BMW 2008 330i and my 2003 Mazda6 (with 18" wheels), the steering wheel (not the final handling) was very similar in daily driving conditions. That is a lot to say.
Mazda has always been considered the "BMW" of its segment(s)
Old 05-19-13, 09:09 AM
AOB87
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for you reply

Surpassingly I had the chance to test drive the new IS today and I could say finally I am able to make a decision.

It was IS 350 (non F sport) with Luxury package. I really have to say this car looks way better in real than in pictures especially the front and the interior. Even though I am not sure if it was the final production or not, everything looked and felt great and nothing cheap at all. What got me the most is the interior as I spent most of the time enjoying the beauty of it. The size of the front seats, leg and head room for rear passengers, clarity of the screen, instrument gages, and everything else was awesome. Unfortunately, I was able to drive it only for few miles because the car is not available yet for public test drive, so I can't make a conclusion about how it exactly drives.

So after having this experience, I could say that everything (Design of exterior as well as interior, luxury, Materials being used, technology) in the new IS looked and felt way better than in the new Mazda 6, with all respect.

Good job Lexus and I will say good job Mazda.

So I guess I will stick with my first choice, new IS, and I really can't wait.

Thank you again.
Old 05-21-13, 07:49 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

250 vs mazada6 would be kind of hard. The 350 would be a no brainer, lexus all the way