IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS F Sport Packaging (US Spec) -> Opinions and Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 03:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Hi and welcome, nice choice on the 300h and sounds like they are much more respective and quick to move than here.

Its funny b/c for years we have boasted how Lexus offers Leather and now here we are getting a pleather option only on F-sport. I guess we all got to go back and edit our posts.
i was thinking all day about the leatherette from bmw and mb throughout the years
Old 03-26-13, 03:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by magne
I can see that lexus treats their custumers from different parts of the world completly different.
Have you tried to send an email to someone in lexus outside the US? Japan for instance.
I'm sure that this is not how Lexus want fangroups or loyal custumers to see them. The japanse group of lexus cares a lot about what custumers and people think of them.

When that is said, Lexus europe has a completly different attitude towards custumers.
I've already ordered a new Is300h. But I was not satisfied with the grades and packages avalible from lexus europe, and told my dealership I would only order the car if I could get the equipment I wanted with the car. They actually made a request to lexus europe and made them put together a package with the equipment I wanted, and now offers this package as a official package avalible for all custumers.
In europe most japanse car makers only offer packages with equipment for the cars, and you can rarly choose any extra equipment. Just pick packages that the importbrand has put together. For instance, when I bought a blue impreza a few years ago, I had to choose leather interior to get the car in blue. Any other color, and normal interior was ok. But Since I wanted the blue color I had to take the leather option and pay 5000$ extra for this.
To actually let a custumer get his choise and put together a uniqe package of equipment is very good custumer service. No other japanese car manufacturer in the europe marked would do this.
A bit strange tho, that european manufactures such as bmw, audi etc lets you build your car exactly how you want it. While japanese manufactures just gives you a few choises of grades you have to chose from.

With regards to the IS300h not beeing offered in the US, I find it a bit strange. But maybe lexus has plans for a IS450h in the US market?
Europe does not get the 350awd, due to emisson rules and taxes and expected sales because of high prices.
A bit of a shame, since espasially scandinavia could use an awd version.

(sorry for the poorly written english, it is not my naitive language)

Lexus.no has a lot of available packages to pick for IS300h, it is crazy... i think I counted 16 different option combinations (not counting interior or color, just equipment). As to custom order, it was always a policy of Toyota and Lexus Europe to let customers order from the factory and wait for the car.

Russia and Ukraine get AWD :-). EU probably not due to the emissions but case has to be made about that as well - it is pretty similar to choice of IS300h not being in US for now.
Old 03-27-13, 07:35 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sorry to the mods if this is off topic

I hope this is considered on topic because it deals with contacting Lexus about the 2014 packaging. I received a reply and it didn't seem too canned. Here is the part that gives me hope and I would hope encourages more of you to contact them.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts and to provide us with your view of the 2014 IS F-Sport model. Please be assured that your disappointment and feedback have been documented here at national headquarters for product improvement considerations.
Old 03-27-13, 07:45 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Lexus.no has a lot of available packages to pick for IS300h, it is crazy... i think I counted 16 different option combinations (not counting interior or color, just equipment). As to custom order, it was always a policy of Toyota and Lexus Europe to let customers order from the factory and wait for the car.

Russia and Ukraine get AWD :-). EU probably not due to the emissions but case has to be made about that as well - it is pretty similar to choice of IS300h not being in US for now.
Sorry for the OT.
Maybe a moderator should make a new thread with all the off topic talk in this tread.

Toyota in norway never lets you custum order a car. You have to choose between 3-4 grades for all their models, and can not mix any of the options from these packages. That is why I was a bit suprised when lexus gave me the possibility to put together a new package, and order it. They are also making the package official and possible to order, since they realised that it might be a high volume selling package.

There are 16 different packages to chose from for the IS in norway.
With my package now confirmed and possible to order there will be 17.

In norway and the rest of EU as far as I can tell, we get all 10 avalible colors, including the ultrasonic blue.
We also get the option of ventilated leather seats for all models of the IS, including the F-sport version.
However we only get the 300h model. Not the 250 or 350, in norway. This is due to very strict taxes on large engines. So the car would cost a fortune with any other engine than the 300h.

We also get an option with partial leather seats. With some kind of fabric in the center of seat. And we get the sonic titanium color (1J7) Not sure if this is the same as the atomic silver color.
Maybe in the future, US will be the first market to get a new blue color, that was whispered of on the geneva launch. Lexus told me that the USB color will probably end its life this year, and a new blue color will be launched next year.

A bit of a shame that lexus US seems to have turned their back on market opinions.
Someone high up in the system must have forgotten the selling philosophy of lexus.
Old 03-27-13, 09:13 AM
yycdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNN
That f sport gauge is beautiful. It sucks there is no leather in the f sport but that gauge makes up for it. And I like nuluxe anyway
The lack of vented seats kills the F-Sport for me, though. Heartbroken.
Old 03-27-13, 10:19 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, but the ISF didn't have ventilated seats either, nuluxe will hold your butt to the seat so you don't slide around when going around corners.
Old 03-27-13, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yeah, but the ISF didn't have ventilated seats either, nuluxe will hold your butt to the seat so you don't slide around when going around corners.
if nuluxe is good like leather, i think butts will still slide. if it's not like leather, then it's a letdown imho.

i agree on the ventilated seats, it's nice but it's not available on cars like isf and m3 anyway.
Old 03-27-13, 10:31 AM
LexFather

I can accept no be be be ventilated seats on a frs, on a Lexus it's ridiculous to omit. This isn't some new or rare tech and in warm climates it really works wonders.

What happened to having our cake and eating it too?

Knowing its not leather either just is mind boggling. A non leather no ventilated seat with only 10 way adjustments? Is this the 1990s?
Old 03-27-13, 10:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I can accept no be be be ventilated seats on a frs, on a Lexus it's ridiculous to omit. This isn't some new or rare tech and in warm climates it really works wonders.

What happened to having our cake and eating it too?

Knowing its not leather either just is mind boggling. A non leather no ventilated seat with only 10 way adjustments? Is this the 1990s?
artificially limiting the top price for US market... although, I dont think any IS has more than 10 ways, right?
Old 03-27-13, 11:53 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, it is very weird. Having leather as standard was always a big selling point trained to us and shown on tv ads. It was just another thing that put Lexus ahead of its competitors and they are moving backwards.
Old 03-27-13, 12:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it comes down to cost, cost, and cost.

i am glad that people finally realize that cost is becoming a bigger and bigger concerns for lexus as well. there are only so much they can do and reducing few bucks here and there is what they are doing. there were already parts they omitted on gs fsport to reduce the cost which sparked so much debate, and we are seeing more of that here with no ventilated seats on fsport, nuluxe vs full real leather, etc...

in the end 300 here, 400 here, 600 somewhere, they all add up and affect the overall msrp which is ultimately the goal line that lexus NA has to work with. they set a goal and they can't get past that line. what they can do is reverse from there and see what they can take out to meet it.

this is the end result. i don't think it's anything wrong, it's just how the market is, how the economy is affecting it, and how the competitive business is changing the game.

what i hope is instead of just omitting the options for good, lexus should retain all these as options, so people can actually order those options if they feel like throwing another 2k into their purchase
Old 03-27-13, 12:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
it comes down to cost, cost, and cost.

i am glad that people finally realize that cost is becoming a bigger and bigger concerns for lexus as well. there are only so much they can do and reducing few bucks here and there is what they are doing. there were already parts they omitted on gs fsport to reduce the cost which sparked so much debate, and we are seeing more of that here with no ventilated seats on fsport, nuluxe vs full real leather, etc...

in the end 300 here, 400 here, 600 somewhere, they all add up and affect the overall msrp which is ultimately the goal line that lexus NA has to work with. they set a goal and they can't get past that line. what they can do is reverse from there and see what they can take out to meet it.

this is the end result. i don't think it's anything wrong, it's just how the market is, how the economy is affecting it, and how the competitive business is changing the game.

what i hope is instead of just omitting the options for good, lexus should retain all these as options, so people can actually order those options if they feel like throwing another 2k into their purchase
We all know costs go up but what you are saying is what Lexus is assuming, that people will not buy them if they have more features and cost more. Well looking at sales and transaction prices as Lexus have gotten more expensive people continue to buy them. I think they are doing themselves a disservice by assuming people won't buy an F-sport a grand or two more with features we want.

Its not like adding these features will add 10 grand to the price, a person buying 45k on a car surely is comfortable dropping 47 or 48k on it. We are literally talking $30 a month more if that (for those that pay monthly)

At this point it seems a person that wants a red leather F-sport with ventilated seats is now FORCED to jump to a 55k-62k GS F-sport since its not an option with the IS.

We all were excited to see the red interior offered in the F-sport IS, now we find out its fake leather with no ventilated seats like everyone lives in Alaska or something.
Old 03-27-13, 01:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

We all know costs go up but what you are saying is what Lexus is assuming, that people will not buy them if they have more features and cost more. Well looking at sales and transaction prices as Lexus have gotten more expensive people continue to buy them. I think they are doing themselves a disservice by assuming people won't buy an F-sport a grand or two more with features we want.

Its not like adding these features will add 10 grand to the price, a person buying 45k on a car surely is comfortable dropping 47 or 48k on it. We are literally talking $30 a month more if that (for those that pay monthly)

At this point it seems a person that wants a red leather F-sport with ventilated seats is now FORCED to jump to a 55k-62k GS F-sport since its not an option with the IS.

We all were excited to see the red interior offered in the F-sport IS, now we find out its fake leather with no ventilated seats like everyone lives in Alaska or something.

I think the problem is how people perceive this top end price... a lot of people only want to buy "loaded" model, so if it is $45k, then great... if it is $55k then they will say it is too expensive no matter whats in the price. Thats how US market works, it is very unique to it.

In Europe, it is very different, and you can get all the options you want... it is just extremely expensive.

I hope I flipped the switch inside my head and honestly I wish they offered US F-Sport in Europe as well... I refuse to pay for more options and would in the end prefer nulux which they dont offer - due to the price. For new car, I will never buy loaded model anymore.. they simply charge too much and I lose. Our top end GS is 2x more than base GS for instance.
Old 03-27-13, 02:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and that's exactly what i have been complaining about all along, haven't i? i always say at this stage, it's ok for lexus to have lower the base msrp and provide more options for customers and allow them to choose what they want, instead of their way from 20 years ago where they limit the trims to few and tell customers to "take it or leave it".

that approach was great in the beginning for lexus, but with the scale of lexus now, and the fact that in japan you can get so much customization, allowing more options here should not affect their cost structure as much anymore.

my personal feeling is that lexus product planning is too limiting and while it works for 80% of the people, the remaining 20% feels disappointed and those are actually the tangibles most of the time
Old 03-27-13, 03:34 PM
RDUSB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 1000 Lexus Bring back Ultrasonic Blue Mica to the Is, it's the iconic color to the Lexus Is
Drop a silver and add the Blue

Quick Reply: 2014 IS F Sport Packaging (US Spec) -> Opinions and Concerns