IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS Moving Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 04:38 AM
kesando
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Lexus had a couple 3ISs to sit in at the NY autoshow. The fact that they only had one on the stage, not to mention the borderline rude female model they had standing next to the car left me dissapointed. Perhaps they have a couple of interior issues to still work out?
Old 04-04-13, 06:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

gotta love all the people complaining but most likely havent sat in the car or even seen the car in person yet
Old 04-04-13, 07:27 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've sat in the new IS, and seen it in person.
This was the 300h show car that was shipped around europe, so it was not the final version.

Form what I've seen in pictures, a few of the things that bothered me a bit is still the same, and probabaly won't change.
The whole finish of the bits and pieces in the center console was a bit disapointing.
Espesially the bit around the climate control and driving mode wheel. They where finished in a matte black plastic, and did look pretty cheap.
On these bits, I think lexus could have put in wood or aluminium finish, apprat from this, I can't say that I got any feeling of the car beeing "cheap"
Old 04-04-13, 07:44 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I saw it yesterday (an F-Sport) and I seriousky don't know what all the complaining is about. The car is not perfect but for the class it's in I think it's fine. Remember we are talking about a car that is in the $30-$40 range not in the $70 range. Honestly the only thing I got something to complain about is the size of the nav screen, would have been happier if it were a bit bigger.
Old 04-04-13, 08:02 AM
LexFather

They are all pre-production, no VIN # and will be destroyed.......they have traveled all over for people to see, they will not be top quality. This is nothing new Lexus and the industry has done this for ages.
Old 04-04-13, 08:27 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car is huge. Reminds me of ES. I guess we got what we asked for.
Old 04-04-13, 11:25 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blueprint
They are all pre-production, no VIN # and will be destroyed.......they have traveled all over for people to see, they will not be top quality. This is nothing new Lexus and the industry has done this for ages.

there were no pre-production notes on the car i sat in, as there tend to be. all indications are it was representative of final build. there might be minor assembly line tweaks, but i doubt they will start changing surface textures this late in the game. this will not go unnoticed, because as mentioned, a lot of the 'plastic bits' dont feel and/or look up to par. they scream ES quality/budget.
Old 04-04-13, 01:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
they scream ES quality/budget.
Seeing that the car is the same price point as the ES...I would think they would.
Old 04-05-13, 04:37 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Would anyone know if there is any way to obtain the 2014 IS350 RWD without the staggered tire setup other than the 4 wheel drive?
Old 04-06-13, 09:17 PM
Tennis100
Driver

LOL, disregard.
Old 04-07-13, 02:37 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW10ES
You cannot tell whether the materials are good or bad until you sit in the vehicle for yourself, but you and I have been through that before.

All the reviews are positive about the materials, so I look forward to sitting in one.
Speak for yourself. The members below have sat in one and come to the same conclusions I have. The same things they didn't like in person are the same things I don't like by looking at all the photos. It's not coincidence and it's not a lucky guess on my part.

Originally Posted by magne
I've sat in the new IS, and seen it in person.
This was the 300h show car that was shipped around europe, so it was not the final version.

Form what I've seen in pictures, a few of the things that bothered me a bit is still the same, and probabaly won't change.
The whole finish of the bits and pieces in the center console was a bit disapointing.
Espesially the bit around the climate control and driving mode wheel. They where finished in a matte black plastic, and did look pretty cheap.
On these bits, I think lexus could have put in wood or aluminium finish, apprat from this, I can't say that I got any feeling of the car beeing "cheap"
Originally Posted by oztiks
I sat in the "mule" IS 350 (non F-sport) they are floating around florida today. My feelings were similar to the OP's, minus the rattle concern. The interior quality is lackluster at best. The steering wheel both looks and feels cheap. The base IS 350 gauges look like something from 2002, still; minus the small center LCD.

The "painted" appearance that the door switch panels have (if you call it that) is absolutely awful. THe center console/stack where the stereo is also looks and feels cheap. It now has two cupholders, and one useless storage bin. This trades us from 1.5 cupholders and a usable storage bin.

I asked if the vehicle I was looking at was likely to mimic the production quality and no one could give me answers, but the general assumption was "yes, it is production quality".

Not only is the car a step backwards in look, it's a step backwards in quality, in my opinion. Disappointed.
Old 04-07-13, 06:59 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys shouldn't even have commented in this thread.
Old 04-08-13, 07:03 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please read the last line of my comment.
I don't think the car felt cheap or below standards, but there was a few bits of plastic that suprised me a bit, since they stood out as something that didn't fit in with the rest of the interior.

So overall I think the IS looks very good. Better than other competitor brands.
But it lacked the last one procent when it comes to the finish.
Even the cheapest hyundais have piano lackered plastic that looks more exclusive than the plastic around the IS driving mode selector.

And this is a real shame, since the rest of the car and the rest of the interior looks very good.

But who knows, maybe lexus will do something about this. After all it just takes a little bit of paint.
Old 04-08-13, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Speak for yourself. The members below have sat in one and come to the same conclusions I have. The same things they didn't like in person are the same things I don't like by looking at all the photos. It's not coincidence and it's not a lucky guess on my part.
I guess magazines should pay you to review vehicles from just production photos. Think of the money they will save on production and testing facilities.
Old 04-08-13, 09:32 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Nope, they shouldn't. Im a terrible writer and also wouldn't be able to tell you how the car drives beyond telling you not to expect much (if any) improvement in acceleration. I would not be able to comment on handling, brakes, comfort, wind/road noise how well the technology works or how good the audio system is.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS Moving Backwards