IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Saw 3 at the dealership today... impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 08:24 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Saw 3 at the dealership today... impressions

Black/Flaxen Luxury- Very sharp. Like the Flaxen interior better in the IS than the GS for some reason. The wood is really nice as well.

Atomic Silver/Black base model- The Atomic Silver is off the charts IMO. It has a bronze tint to it but in no way comes off as gold (kiss of death). The color really has depth and splits the difference between Silver Lining and Nebula Gray. It is a really warm, interesting silver. The only shortcoming is that is isn't offered on the F-Sport.

White/Red F Sport- Love the red interior. Not the bright red like Infiniti and BMW use, but a more subdued red that you can live with everyday. I was also okay with the Nuluxe. It actually seems more grippy than leather for spirited driving. Also, my GS has Nuluxe in quite a few places so I guess I've gotten used to it.

I was impressed with the exterior of the IS, although unlike others have said IMO it didn't differ that much from the pics. It does have a nice stance. I also thought the interior was sharp, and the seats in all models fit like a glove. I think the interior looks upscale, modern and can compete with the best in class.

The F Sport was sitting in the delivery bay and was not driveable, so I will wait until things cool down a bit on the Lexus lots before I go back in for a test drive. I prefer a smaller car, and the IS still has good storage space with the fold-down rear seats. If it drives well, my GS may be sitting on the lot some time in the future. That is, unless a new coupe is announced.

One quick story... there was a guy in a Mercedes E Coupe at the dealership that asked me if that was my GS and how I liked it. Maybe we have another convert.
Old 07-05-13, 08:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Atomic Silver/Black base model- The Atomic Silver is off the charts IMO.
I agree, awesome color, very different. It reminds me of like a nickel type finish, if you think about nickel faucets and things...
Old 07-05-13, 09:03 PM
mush
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hows the interior vs 4GS?
i still think the GS is going to be rarer and that is what i like. that cla45 amg looks really nice and its not much more than a is350 f sport
Old 07-05-13, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mush
hows the interior vs 4GS?
I obviously will let dseag respond since he was who you were asking, but I felt the interior was a clear step down from the GS which I was expecting. Materials are much better in the GS, finishing is much better and the overall feel is significantly more upscale in the GS.

With that said, overall I thought the interior of the 3IS was very good for its price point, some hard plastics but mainly the lower doors and lower door panel materials that are out of touch range. I do feel the interior quality is better in the IS than the new ES.
Old 07-05-13, 11:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Atomic Silver/Black base model- The Atomic Silver is off the charts IMO. It has a bronze tint to it but in no way comes off as gold (kiss of death). The color really has depth and splits the difference between Silver Lining and Nebula Gray. It is a really warm, interesting silver. The only shortcoming is that is isn't offered on the F-Sport.
F-Sport in Atomic Silver elsewhere outside the States. Shame, Lexus makes another blunder

Old 07-06-13, 02:34 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The GS is a much greater car than the IS. Keep it and enjoy it!
Saw Atomic Silver the other day and it looked like silver with a layer of dirt on it. It was depressing.
Old 07-06-13, 10:29 AM
HIDPH
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I have to admit that the GS is much more upscale and offers more given its higher price point. The 3IS is more of a fun factor thing and probably has more aftermarket parts available for customization. I love both the IS and GS and they both offer different things (both of awesome cars). Lexus has done a great job with the F-Sport line imo.
Old 07-06-13, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by HIDPH
Yes, I have to admit that the GS is much more upscale and offers more given its higher price point. The 3IS is more of a fun factor thing and probably has more aftermarket parts available for customization. I love both the IS and GS and they both offer different things (both of awesome cars). Lexus has done a great job with the F-Sport line imo.
There's no need to admit anything. The GS is a nicer car. Materials speak for themselves. IS and GS are catered to two different demographics. The common denometer between the two is they both own the fun factor of their segments in certain trims
Old 07-06-13, 01:30 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I obviously will let dseag respond since he was who you were asking, but I felt the interior was a clear step down from the GS which I was expecting. Materials are much better in the GS, finishing is much better and the overall feel is significantly more upscale in the GS.

With that said, overall I thought the interior of the 3IS was very good for its price point, some hard plastics but mainly the lower doors and lower door panel materials that are out of touch range. I do feel the interior quality is better in the IS than the new ES.
I completely agree on all counts.
Old 07-07-13, 02:45 AM
jagged
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4GS interiors are very refined and more luxurious than 3IS.

In my opinion, what probably hurts 4GS' potential is that the new ES is already out and competes with it in the Lexus showroom. So a customer looking for a mid-sized sedan may be in a dilemma whether to go for more comfort at a lower price point or go sporty driving at a premium.