IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

'14 ISF in June or '13 GSF Now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 11:34 AM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question '14 ISF in June or '13 GSF Now?

Hello all,

My wife's lease on her '10 IS is now due and I'd like to see her in a bigger/safer car going forward. She is considering a 13 GSF or possibly extending her current lease and getting the 14 ISF. She loves the GSF but we were told by the dealership that the 14 GSF will get the 8 speed with improved fuel economy (she drives about 80 miles a day) and the IS is increasing in size with improved safety plus it will be a 14. The other factors to consider is we are being offered a sizeable discount on the 13 GSF plus it's a car that was just produced (on water now) so hopefully all the updates have been addressed at the factory and the IS will have first year bugs I'm sure but being a Lexus shouldn't be major. The GSF is LP/Cab and has an MSRP just a hair under $57k and we can buy it for $51k plus $700 dlr fee.

Appreciate your objective thoughts.

Thanks,
Old 02-20-13, 11:54 AM
omgitsjoe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 052SI
Hello all,

My wife's lease on her '10 IS is now due and I'd like to see her in a bigger/safer car going forward. She is considering a 13 GSF or possibly extending her current lease and getting the 14 ISF. She loves the GSF but we were told by the dealership that the 14 GSF will get the 8 speed with improved fuel economy (she drives about 80 miles a day) and the IS is increasing in size with improved safety plus it will be a 14. The other factors to consider is we are being offered a sizeable discount on the 13 GSF plus it's a car that was just produced (on water now) so hopefully all the updates have been addressed at the factory and the IS will have first year bugs I'm sure but being a Lexus shouldn't be major. The GSF is LP/Cab and has an MSRP just a hair under $57k and we can buy it for $51k plus $700 dlr fee.

Thanks,
As much as I love the new GSF ...... in this case patience is a virtue !!! Wait for the 14 ISF
Old 02-20-13, 12:02 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'd personally go with the GSF. I think it's a nicer car inside and out than the 3IS
Old 02-20-13, 01:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

is fsport will be more expensive because car will be hot, no discount. gs f sport you will get a lot more discount. the 8 speed will help on gas but honestly i don't think it will be very dramatic, especially if you factor in how much more you pay for the is sport (brand new hot item). just a guest though. because of the size, gs has a bigger navigation system which i think is a plus. is f sport will have the cool gauge on the other hand
Old 02-20-13, 01:09 PM
ntocamping
Rookie

Depends on how much the extended lease will cost if this were my decison. Do you have another vehicle for her to drive to figure it out. If not, could you add one like a 4 wheel drive(used of course) depending on where you live for bad weather. We have 4 vehicles between wife and I so having 1 or 2 extra is in my blood.
Old 02-20-13, 05:17 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies.
She can extend her current lease at the current terms for another 6 mos if needed, she also recently put on new Bridgestones so tires wont be an issue in 6 mos.
I really like the fact that the IS will be a '14 and it will already be an 8 speed, but the new crash tests have not been done on the new IS platform but I'd imagine there will be a big impovement since the current IS didn't fare too well in some of the tests. With that all said the '13 GS Fsport really drives quite nice and the bugs are pretty much worked out by now.
Old 02-20-13, 09:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

By ISF, you mean the F-sport package and not the next IS-F with the bigger engine, right? Either way, be prepared to pay full sticker with poor financing rates on any brand new Lexus model.

Also, there's been no confirmation the GS is getting an 8-speed. Never believe what a dealer tells you. They are usually wrong (although the odds are good the 8-speed will come in the near future).

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the current GS and enjoy it's attractive styling (classier grille) and increased size. The 6-speed auto is still a nice unit that few have ever complained about.
Old 02-20-13, 09:55 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
By ISF, you mean the F-sport package and not the next IS-F with the bigger engine, right? Either way, be prepared to pay full sticker with poor financing rates on any brand new Lexus model.

Also, there's been no confirmation the GS is getting an 8-speed. Never believe what a dealer tells you. They are usually wrong (although the odds are good the 8-speed will come in the near future).

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the current GS and enjoy it's attractive styling (classier grille) and increased size. The 6-speed auto is still a nice unit that few have ever complained about.
All good points. Yes 14 IS350 with fSport pkg. i think the 8 speed is a done deal for the 14 GS fsport as its already in the rx fsport and will be in the 14 IS F sport pkg. You are right about the deals on the 14 IS but if the GS gets the 8 speed for 14 the current GS will have big model year end incentives and the IS will be a 14 vs 13 for the GS. With respect to the grille, I've seen it in the flesh on a new LS f sport and I like it, I think all f sports will be headed this way. Don't get me wrong we luv the current GS but we are trying to be discerning buyers especially with the new IS right around the corner.

Last edited by 052SI; 02-20-13 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 06:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

get the 2013 GS, it is great car and you get killer deal.
Old 02-21-13, 05:36 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Thanks ...we'll soon see what happens next week when it comes in.
Old 02-21-13, 10:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 052SI
Hello all,

Thanks,
No one really knows when the next IS F will officially come out but if I were to make an educated guess, it probably wont come until 2015 as a 2016 model. It took two years for the current IS F (MY 2008) to come out after the launch of the 2nd Generation IS (MY 2006). Maybe lease the GS F SPORT for 3 years and next IS F may be out by then. Agreed with the rest, you'll get a better deal on a 13 GS than you will on a new 14 IS when it first comes out.
Old 02-22-13, 08:03 AM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
No one really knows when the next IS F will officially come out but if I were to make an educated guess, it probably wont come until 2015 as a 2016 model. It took two years for the current IS F (MY 2008) to come out after the launch of the 2nd Generation IS (MY 2006). Maybe lease the GS F SPORT for 3 years and next IS F may be out by then. Agreed with the rest, you'll get a better deal on a 13 GS than you will on a new 14 IS when it first comes out.
thanks for the reply... I should have been clearer with choice would be between the 14gsfs or the 14 IS350fs.
Old 02-22-13, 08:34 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

You will still get a better deal with GS since it's a 1 year old model. IS is all-new and will have low number in inventory until a couple months.
Old 02-22-13, 09:32 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
You will still get a better deal with GS since it's a 1 year old model. IS is all-new and will have low number in inventory until a couple months.
Even worse, if your looking for the IS with specific options like ML good luck as most likely be special order and probably not much discount on special order.
Old 02-22-13, 12:59 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

i don't know why this is even a debate, it's like asking what car is better, a cayman or a 911 carrera.
the IS is a great car, but you can't really compare it to the GS, completely different class of car.

Quick Reply: '14 ISF in June or '13 GSF Now?