IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front Grill - The inevitable discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 10:09 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Grill - The inevitable discussion

It had to come up sooner or later, I'm just surprised I couldn't find where it had.

So I'll start.

I'm on the fence about the front grill. I like it, in pictures. I'm sure I would like it on a 3IS I own when the car is super-clean, but what about the rest of the time when there are plastic bags stuck to the front of it when I'm crusing down the road? Maybe even a chicken wedged in there (for those who cruise the rural areas) or a wayward autistic toddler or two lodged in there head first?

I'm being obviously facetious, but its a REALLY BFG (BFgrill). I like the look of the car overall, and the fact that Lexus is putting a bit of a dent in the "conservative" image the brand might have once had.

Now, the more troubling part. Audi seems to have championed the toddler-catcher grill first. I actually like the fishmouth Lexus implementation of it better, but what's to stop everyone else from following suit (thus heavily devalueing the overall idea) over the next two years? In the last couple of years following my purchase of my 2010 IS, I saw Lexus designers covet the LED lights of the Audi and force them into a headlight that was not originally designed for them. Since then I swear to god I think I saw a Kia with the farking things.. they look like cheap Christmas lights now. Granted, the 3IS does a really nice job with headlights and the LEDs, so a problem from three years ago has apparently been solved going forward (wooooo). But is the "BIG TOOFUS" syndrome just another problematic trendy issue waiting to happen?

I don't know. Probably another 2-3 years before I look at new cars, and we'll see how things go then. BMW created a look with its front grill, and even though others have implemented symmetrical split grills since then, they never took anything away from the brand. And that's what these marketing fockers care about at the end of it all.
Old 02-18-13, 03:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

everyone is following the suit already, every car almost has a big grille, but predator is pretty distinctive.
Old 02-18-13, 09:53 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

That is why I'll probably go with the non f-sport. The f-sport grill is a bit too much for me. There are really only 3 things I can get use to so far, the f-sport grill and the nike led strips & the scallup headlights, I much rather prefer the led strips to be like the GS or LS model, however I can live with it on the IS. The f-sport grill not so sure that will ever grow on me. It might be better with some European licence plate across it, that would break up some of the height in that area, like we've seen on some pics. Would this be considered a mod?
Old 02-18-13, 03:20 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2011 IS and I think the LED DRLs were implemented well even though the 2006-2010 IS headlights didn't have LED DRLs so I didn't find it a problem. Unlike those LED strips some people buy and tack them on the headlights.

If anything, I don't like how the LED DRLs on the 2014 IS are separated from the headlights. Doesn't look as bad in darker colors of the car though like black. The current GS, ES, LS, etc. have the LED DRLs with the headlights. I can't blame Lexus though for wanting the IS to be different from the competition or the rest of the lineup.
Old 02-18-13, 05:54 PM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Grill is perfect IMO
Old 02-18-13, 08:54 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by two2tone
Grill is perfect IMO
agreed
Old 02-18-13, 09:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The F SPORT grille actually looks good in person. The standard one looks a little bit off as you go from horizontal grill bars up top to a honeycomb mesh design at the bottom. It would have looked better if they went horizontal all the way across or use an all honeycomb mesh design as the IS does stand for Intelligent Sport.

IS 350 F SPORT

IS 300h (Euro-Spec)
Old 02-24-13, 11:51 AM
Crester
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally saw the IS350 F-Sport in person... I think every thing about the car looks great EXCEPT for the front bumper. The perfect car would be the IS350 F-Sport with the "regular" IS350 front bumper. The F-Sport front bumper just doesn't look right... like somebody trying too hard to get attention.
Old 02-24-13, 07:23 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This sums it up
skip to 1:43
Old 02-24-13, 08:29 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It will be a big non-story a year after the car has been on the road, just like the spindle grill on the GS F Sport. No one will care. Way too much overanalyzing going on here.

Audi was dissed with their big fishmouth grills and they have managed to really increase their buyer base by going a different direction.
Old 02-24-13, 09:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
It will be a big non-story a year after the car has been on the road, just like the spindle grill on the GS F Sport. No one will care. Way too much overanalyzing going on here.

Audi was dissed with their big fishmouth grills and they have managed to really increase their buyer base by going a different direction.
This is totally true and likely what will happen. Whenever a polarizing feature surfaces, everyone gets up in arms over it, but then it dies off and all is fine. Audi's big grille is a great example. No one even thinks twice about it now. What makes it so hard to swallow with Lexus is the brand has been known for clean, conservative, and stately designs for over two decades. This is a huge jump. I'm slowly getting used to the new IS, but I would have been ape ***** nuts over the new one much faster if it had a milder front-end.
Old 02-24-13, 09:36 PM
Crester
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno... the thing is the Audi's have bold front ends.. but they look good! Acura went "different" with that ugly beak and people never accepted it as looking good... to the point where Acura had to tone down that styling feature on more recent models. The Bangle BMW's are another set of cars people never "eventually" accepted as looking good.

I think the regular IS350 looks handsome... but the front end of the F-Sport is just begging for attention. Not only is all that black plastic zig-zag area look odd... but vents/scoops at the bottom half of the bumper look weird in person as well. I tried to get my brain to accept it... but it just can't. But as I said... the rest of the car looks great...
Old 02-24-13, 10:00 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I think the new IS looks great all around except that front bumper. It works for the GS but I don't like it on the ES or IS.

Maybe I'll change my mind once I see it in person.
Old 02-24-13, 11:42 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2

This X 1000.
Old 02-25-13, 03:34 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The F SPORT grille actually looks good in person. The standard one looks a little bit off as you go from horizontal grill bars up top to a honeycomb mesh design at the bottom. It would have looked better if they went horizontal all the way across or use an all honeycomb mesh design as the IS does stand for Intelligent Sport.
My thoughts exactly, Flip....

I only want the F Sport grill, and then I will break it up with a European style stretched-horizontal license plate. I think it looks perfect with that. With no front license plate, I do think it's a little much, from some angles anyway.

Quick Reply: Front Grill - The inevitable discussion