IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Acura TL SH-AWD vs IS-350 AWD

Old 02-01-13, 06:40 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Acura TL SH-AWD vs IS-350 AWD

Hi,

Was wondering which car has better 0-60 MPH times. Acura TL looks SH-AWD looks tempting
Old 02-01-13, 08:11 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't answer your 0 - 60 question, but I think the exterior of the TL is looking dated and will really look dated next to the new IS. No doubt, it's a nice car, but it is probably a year or two away from a complete redesign.
Old 02-01-13, 08:34 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by dseag2
Can't answer your 0 - 60 question, but I think the exterior of the TL is looking dated and will really look dated next to the new IS. No doubt, it's a nice car, but it is probably a year or two away from a complete redesign.
What I really liked about Acura is technology. When will Lexus start showing exact tire pressure of each wheel, or things like MID that tell you when to change oil based on usage rather than mileage mark. I actually like Acura TL interior, I think exterior sucks though.
Old 02-02-13, 12:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

3IS shows exact pressure for each wheel.
Old 02-02-13, 06:13 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TL feels much bigger, and much rougher ride. Can't compare FWD/awd with RWD/awd...
Old 02-02-13, 06:52 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

acuras drive is not as good as infiniti.

the quality of acura is way below that of lexus.

ive seen too many acuras/hondas with tranny issues

bottom line, acura cant compete with lexus or infiniti, so we stay way from this brand altogether
Old 02-02-13, 07:47 AM
InfamousQ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun

bottom line, acura cant compete with lexus or infiniti, so we stay way from this brand altogether
True

With front wheel biased SH-AWD, the car tends to understeer in the handling department. The SH-AWD isn't as good as it claims to be either, having seen one spin out on the highway in the middle of winter is uterly hilarious on a long stretch straight roads. The best awd systems comes from the likes of Audi, Infiniti, Lexus & few others, just not Acura.

The quality of the vehicle is lacking for a luxury brand, most would agree it's just basically a rebadge honda. Example is evident in canada with he CSX (rebadge honda civic with leather option), TSX is the eurospec Accord (TL used to be the rebadge eurospec Accord)

Last edited by InfamousQ; 02-02-13 at 07:52 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-02-13, 11:37 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousQ
True

With front wheel biased SH-AWD, the car tends to understeer in the handling department. The SH-AWD isn't as good as it claims to be either, having seen one spin out on the highway in the middle of winter is uterly hilarious on a long stretch straight roads. The best awd systems comes from the likes of Audi, Infiniti, Lexus & few others, just not Acura.

The quality of the vehicle is lacking for a luxury brand, most would agree it's just basically a rebadge honda. Example is evident in canada with he CSX (rebadge honda civic with leather option), TSX is the eurospec Accord (TL used to be the rebadge eurospec Accord)
Lexus 4x4 yes. Lexus AWD is questionable. I have IS250 AWD, I know it. Subaru is one of the bests with their Symmetric AWD. Honda has always been on top when it comes to fit and finish, Acura line is no difference.
Old 02-02-13, 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

The Acura display is right next to the Lexus display at the DC car show...

Reinforced my opinion that there is a significant divide between these brands. Acura is definitely a step below when it comes to style, execution, comfort. I've never sat in an Acura that appealed to me at all.
Old 02-02-13, 04:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tolian21
What I really liked about Acura is technology. When will Lexus start showing exact tire pressure of each wheel, or things like MID that tell you when to change oil based on usage rather than mileage mark. I actually like Acura TL interior, I think exterior sucks though.
I hope you are kidding b/c that is not technology lol..and the new Lexus models have that...Acura seems to have fooled people that they offer "technology" but they are behind every real luxury brand in that area and behind Hyundai, Ford etc. I mean this is a car where you have to get it fully loaded just to get some cooled seats and they just now started offering them. IS 250 loaners have cooled seats. They do the best they can do as they simply do not have the tech or resources to build true luxury cars it is more like an ES since the TL is based off the Accord as the ES is now Avalon based. The IS is based off the RWD GS thus technology trickles down. The TL is just sportier than the ES in AWD trim. The TL is signifcantly larger than the IS on the outside, 180 inches or so to 194 inches, the TL is longer than a GS. Inside isn't very roomy though and the trunk is small for such a big car.

The previous IS 350 was faster than any TL, heck any Acura that was not the old NSX. I don't see why the new model would be any slower. To the TL's credit the SH-AWD system is more advanced than the traditional Lexus system if you desire AWD and track the vehicle as under normal driving conditions you will rarely feel any difference.

Consumers have spoken, the TL used to sell as well as the ES, now it sells as well as a 7/8 year old IS. Sad. Quite frankly if you want a Honda product I find the new loaded Accord making Acura completely redundant. Its that good.
Old 02-02-13, 05:01 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun

tranny issues where betwen 2000-2004, they are resolved now. May I remind you about 2007 ES 350 troubles.
I actually think infinity G37 is way worth than Acura TL.
I am looking to get sporty ride. ES 350 is really boring for me. Will IS-350 as sporty as G37? I liked G37 drive, but interior really sucks.
2014 IS350 looks nice.
Old 02-02-13, 05:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would expect the 3IS to be a much better drivers car than the G37.
Old 02-02-13, 05:08 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I hope you are kidding b/c that is not technology lol..and the new Lexus models have that...Acura seems to have fooled people that they offer "technology" but they are behind every real luxury brand in that area and behind Hyundai, .
My 2012 ES 350 does not show tire pressure measurements and it does not have Maintenance Minder System that tells you when to change oil based on your driving. I find this outdated. My wife's 2008 Acura RDX has all of those things, and the car is 5 years older. Hopefully IS has it.

And yes, I specifically asked to compare IS350 AWD to Acura TL SH-AWD. From what I gather 0-60 is slightly better on TL SH-AWD.
I am not sure which car is more sporty. I drove TL SH-AWD, and the thing was very fast and tight.

Ofcourse Lexus is known for its reliability and better quality of interior, but it also costs more $.
Old 02-02-13, 05:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tolian21
My 2012 ES 350 does not show tire pressure measurements and it does not have Maintenance Minder System that tells you when to change oil based on your driving. I find this outdated. My wife's 2008 Acura RDX has all of those things, and the car is 5 years older. Hopefully IS has it.

And yes, I specifically asked to compare IS350 AWD to Acura TL SH-AWD. From what I gather 0-60 is slightly better on TL SH-AWD.
I am not sure which car is more sporty. I drove TL SH-AWD, and the thing was very fast and tight.

Ofcourse Lexus is known for its reliability and better quality of interior, but it also costs more $.
The ES debuted in 2007. The new Lexus models all display this. You know what they have too, Lexus Enform. I simply call an operator up and tell them what I want or where I want to go and voila, they do it. That is luxury, that is technology.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-4-9s.html

IS getting 0-60 in 4.9 and 5.1 seconds. Fastest I've seen for TL SHAWD is 5.2. Drivers race but IS is clearly the faster car. Speaking of technology, the IS has direct injection, dual VVTi and will now offer an 8 speed auto from the IS F.

I think both cars are sporty and they offer it in different ways. The TL is a big car, no getting around mass and it masks it well when pushed with SH-AWD but again you will notice it best at the track when the system can make up for driver mistakes and the system can swap power from left to right. The IS is a smaller more nimble car with less mass and weight and a proper RWD car or AWD with RWD bias. I know the SH-AWD system is better on paper but driving around like most people do, its a moot point. Great talking point for fans though.

If you are into modifying cars, the TL has a very small and limited aftermarket. The IS has a huge aftermarket following.

Both are good cars, good luck with your decision.
Old 02-02-13, 05:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If I were looking for a car like the IS, I wouldn't even look at a TL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura TL SH-AWD vs IS-350 AWD