IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Video Walkaround: 2014 Lexus IS & IS F SPORT

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 12:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNN
I really like this car, very bold statement. Seems like half hate it and half love it.
i think the majority like or love it.

i think it's great overall, but i much prefer the non f-sport front end. i think the f-sport front end is just plain weird.

as an aside, i wonder how 4GS buyers feel though that they don't get a folding rear seat or an 8 speed?
Old 01-18-13, 01:13 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the majority like or love it.

i think it's great overall, but i much prefer the non f-sport front end. i think the f-sport front end is just plain weird.

as an aside, i wonder how 4GS buyers feel though that they don't get a folding rear seat or an 8 speed?
Yeah it seems like Lexus putmore effort into 3IS than GS. GS doesn't have paddle shifters, LFA gauge and free traffic on HD radio.
Old 01-18-13, 01:30 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

All 4GS have paddle shifters.

Lexus likes to stagger new tech throughout its model range.

Examples : only the F-Sport 4GS has DRS (rear steering ). Only the LS460 F-Sport and IS-F has a Torsen LSD.

You can bet a refreshed GS will come with 8 speeds sooner or later and that the IS will get rear steering option later in its model lifecycle.

No point expending all your powder in one go. Lexus does this so that there will always be new tech in a model's lifespan to keep it fresh and interesting to new buyers with every year.
Old 01-18-13, 02:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Doesn't bother me. The 6 speed shifts just fine, and anything I need folding rear seats for I have the Jeep. I don't care for the LFA gauge cluster. Its cool, but I prefer the traditional Lexus setup.

And yes, the GS has paddle shifters. I don't care about paying $3 a month for the traffic. I would never buy an IS, its too small for me.
Old 01-18-13, 03:30 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The center console area is soooo busy. It's my only gripe... If I am to get one, there is going to be a lot of molding that takes place :/
Old 01-18-13, 05:33 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Huh? There is no way you can look at photos of the new IS interior and NOT say that it is a vast UPGRADE over the older IS interior.

Similar to the new GS vs older GS interior. It's not even a question. The overwhelming consensus is that the newer Lexi interior (new 4th Gen GS and LS facelift) are huge improvements over the previous generation/pre-facelift.

Based on the online HQ photos and the current trend in Lexus, bet your money that the new IS interiors will blow away almost all cars in its segment, and most certainly the older IS.
Well... I can, actually. I like the new GS interior and while the 3IS adopts a similar design philosophy, there are significant differences. I don't like the rolls in the dash on the passenger side which are FAR more prominent on the 3IS than they are on the GS. The vents don't look anywhere near as well integrated on the 3IS as they do on the GS. I don't like how HVAC controls tuck way under the AC vents vs a nice smooth transition on the GS. Sorry, but in my opinion, the 3IS looks like some Chinese knock-off of what started out as an elegant design. Then there's the front which I think is trying way to hard to look aggressive. The Japanese designers have yet to figure out how to make a car look both aggressive and elegant at the same time. Something the Germans have been doing for years.There are certain things I DO like about the 3IS, but way too much that I don't.
Old 01-18-13, 06:10 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually dislike the new dashboard. The way the vents protrude out is awkward; I like how mine are flush(er). And I loath the GPS joystick. So you have to scroll every time you want to input a number, letter, etc. Bleh.

I'll take the cluster though.

Buuuuutttt I'm sure it'll grow on me and learn to like it.
Old 01-18-13, 06:53 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to get mine.
Old 01-18-13, 07:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
All 4GS have paddle shifters.

Lexus likes to stagger new tech throughout its model range.

Examples : only the F-Sport 4GS has DRS (rear steering ). Only the LS460 F-Sport and IS-F has a Torsen LSD.

You can bet a refreshed GS will come with 8 speeds sooner or later and that the IS will get rear steering option later in its model lifecycle.

No point expending all your powder in one go. Lexus does this so that there will always be new tech in a model's lifespan to keep it fresh and interesting to new buyers with every year.
IS F-Sport probably wont get DRS due to cost reasons but IS-F might.... otherwise I am sure GS will get 8 speed quite soon.
Old 01-18-13, 07:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dojoman
Yeah it seems like Lexus putmore effort into 3IS than GS. GS doesn't have paddle shifters, LFA gauge and free traffic on HD radio.
as to free radio traffic, it is just pace of technology, it gets released when it is ready... Lexus IS is first car that has that feature in the "world". It wasnt available before.

It is not like they have done all of this 10 years ago and now they are letting us use it one by one :-).
Old 01-18-13, 07:48 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Watching the video again, there 2 areas I don't really get. When she's in the car you get a really good view of the a/c and CD player area, why did they slant it so much? It almost looks like it would be tilted too high up.

The other is the area below the CD player. I see it shows the ML logo but what purpose is this area? Will it show music tracks or radio numbers there? I see a red light under the ML logo but what else lights up in that area?
Old 01-18-13, 09:10 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did they go from touch screen to a mouse like controller? I think typing with this controller will be slower...it seems like all new technology is adopting touch screen and Lexus went backwards.
Old 01-18-13, 09:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The entire industry is moving away from touch screens.

When you live with the remote touch controller for a few days you get used to it. I actually really like it. Typing is just as fast.
Old 01-19-13, 10:20 AM
kesando
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only potential issue with the 3IS interior is the seemingly cheep looking plastic around the radio and HVAC controls as opposed to the brushed metal looking area below that. Otherwise I love the new interior. Hope I can (afford to) get the ISF when it comes out.
Old 01-19-13, 12:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
Watching the video again, there 2 areas I don't really get. When she's in the car you get a really good view of the a/c and CD player area, why did they slant it so much? It almost looks like it would be tilted too high up.

The other is the area below the CD player. I see it shows the ML logo but what purpose is this area? Will it show music tracks or radio numbers there? I see a red light under the ML logo but what else lights up in that area?
i dont understand whats going on with that area either... it might be not visible once you are sitting in the car or something, maybe they have hidden something there now, i have no clue.

Quick Reply: Video Walkaround: 2014 Lexus IS & IS F SPORT