IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which design do you prefer?
2014 Lexus IS
81.25%
2013 Cadillac ATS
18.75%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

2014 Lexus IS vs. Cadillac ATS

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 02:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Aside from that horrible cluster (TTAC has pic with light shining on it, looks really bad), ATS also has knee space like in 2IS (something we all moaned about) and also has only 10cuft of trunk space.

It is a bit surprising that they didnt check what people wanted from their entry sport sedans, because we were pretty opinionated about leg space at the back.
Old 01-17-13, 02:59 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All in all, this thread is comparing horseshoes to hand grenades. Anybody who is going to invest that much money in one of these cars SHOULD pick the new IS based on 2 things. 1. Cadillac doesn't come close to long term reliability of a Lexus. They just don't, never have, never will. That companies whole philosophy is to build 8 cars using the same platform, a few for "luxury" a few for "blah", give each one different badging, tweak the sheet metal and interior, and call them different cars. This philosophy will always fail when compared to a company that is building 1 car, for 1 purpose, and sharing only an already proven powertrain with other models. 2. This Cadillac's resale value will be 50% of its new cost in about 2 years, as with all mass production GM cars. I even used to be a GM back in the day, but you couldn't pay me to drive their junk anymore. All 3 GM cars I've owned needed transmissions before 125k with light driving. All 3 lexus's I've taken past 150k beating the living snot out of them every time I get behind the wheel, or what I call "driving a sports car like it was meant to be driven." No way the Cadi is going to hold up over time.

Last edited by 2GSKaizen; 01-17-13 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
All in all, this thread is comparing horseshoes to hand grenades
I don't think so at all...people are going to cross shop these cars, and the ATS has been BEATING the competition in comparison tests. Thats nothing to sneeze at.

1. Cadillac doesn't come close to long term reliability of a Lexus. They just don't, never have, never will. That companies whole philosophy is to build 8 cars using the same platform, a few for "luxury" a few for "blah", give each one different badging, tweak the sheet metal and interior, and call them different cars.
Thats outdated thinking. GM of today (especially Cadillac) is very different than GM of yesterday. Cadillac has been working very hard to improve their product, and they have succeeded tremendously. Every model is an incredible leap forward from the previous model, they're making attractive, well built cars, with performance to back them up, well made interiors with very nice materials. Great technology, the cars look like nothing else on the road.

The ATS is an all new platform, its not a shared platform vehicle. Every manufacturer shares platforms, as does Lexus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Alpha_platform

And...lets be honest...most new buyers lease and trade in 3 years, even if they buy...maybe 4-5 years? Nobody here buys these cars new and keeps them forever. Look on the forums here, how many 2005 Lexus owners have owned those cars from new? Plenty of 2005 Lexus owners...but they were used buyers.

This Cadillac's resale value will be 50% of its new cost in about 2 years, as with all mass production GM cars.
Also outdated. Guess who won the 2012 best retained value award for a sedan over $40k? Cadillac:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/b...alue-cars.html

It beat out every Lexus sedan for that honor. Every BMW and Mercedes sedan.

The times are changing.
Old 01-17-13, 03:39 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I agree, no reason to assume the new IS will not be a drive/handling improvement over the old IS with the GS or even the ES as an example.

Hard to compare the two since I have not seen a 3IS in person let alone driven one, but I can say the ATS is a great car. Great looking, sharp inside, comfortable, great to drive. My sore point with the ATS is the gauge cluster which looks like it came out of a mid 90s Buick:

The tiny half-moon speedo doesn't scream "sporty" to me at all. Wish the ATS came with Caddy's CUE gauge cluster from the XTS, which is great.

I would buy an ATS over a 2IS...
Hmmmm I didn't know the ATS had those gauges, they are the same as in the XTS without the configurable LCD display.

In that case the IS' standard electroluminescent gauges destroy the ATS gauges.

Old 01-17-13, 03:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, same gauges as the base XTS. Terrible.
Old 01-17-13, 04:06 PM
SL222
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those base gauges of the 3is look terrible in that pic as well...at least compared to the ones in a 2is
Old 01-17-13, 04:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL...how so? They're standard Lexus optitron gauges. I like the fact that the numbers are straight up and down vs the goofy way they're set up on the 2IS.
Old 01-18-13, 08:57 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Little too busy for my (current) tastes. The headlights look like a cross between the 2012 ISX50 and the Scion FR-S lights. Taillights remind me of the newer VW Jetta tails, and I'm not a fan of how the tails are not flush with the bumper (both the turn signals sticking out and the bumper angling in under the taillight).

Looking back at the first pic, I really don't like the front end of the IS, specifically the headlight and the area surrounding it. If you look at the passenger side at that angle, the nose comes out quite a bit. It's aggressive, but too much for me.
Totaly agree with you, the new IS to me looks like 2IS with an ugly body kit.

I hate to say it but yes most of the members of this forum love the car but we are a small percentage of the market. I would love to see what regular buyers that are looking for an entry level luxury sedan think of it.
Old 01-20-13, 06:58 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i am not sure these cars are a fair comparison. there is no way a gm car can match the quality of a lexus. the gm is so freaking ugly. i would like to see would buy a gm when a lexus or infiniti are options as well
Old 01-20-13, 07:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i am not sure these cars are a fair comparison. there is no way a gm car can match the quality of a lexus. the gm is so freaking ugly. i would like to see would buy a gm when a lexus or infiniti are options as well
Have you driven the car? I can tell you it is absolutely a worthy, or superior competitor to anything else in its class.

I've been a Lexus owner for a decade+, and I would buy an ATS over a 2IS without hesitation. 3IS remains to be seen, but I would assuredly buy one over a G37.

Lexus makes great cars, but everybody else is making great cars too nowadays.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-20-13 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-20-13, 07:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr05
i had the 2.5 which i am sure its different or at least would hope so. on start up engine felt like it was going to fall off, ruff on shifting, and didn't like touch of the center console not user friendly for me at least.
To the ATS's credit, a 2.5 then will not be the same as a 3.6 with nicer trim pieces let alone the smoothness of 6 vs 4.

This is why I credit Lexus and the IS250. Sure they could have dropped a 2.4 or 2.5 I4 into the car to compete against those from say a S40, TSX, A4 etc.. but rather than have a buzzy little motor they graced it with two extra cylinders and a bump in torque. People always complain about how slow the IS250 is, but they just don't get it. It's meant to be a 4 cylinder competitor but they did well enough that less isn't always more. Point in case the IS250 gets essentially the same mileage as the TSX.
Old 01-20-13, 07:39 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Doesn't the ATS have a miniscule rear seat and trunk?
Old 01-20-13, 07:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Have you driven the car? I can tell you it is absolutely a worthy, or superior competitor to anything else in its class.

I've been a Lexus owner for a decade+, and I would buy an ATS over a 2IS without hesitation. 3IS remains to be seen, but I would assuredly buy one over a G37.

Lexus makes great cars, but everybody else is making great cars too nowadays.
This. Just because automakers have a history, they are not necessary destined to repeat it. They all know now that they cannot produce crap because the public will not buy it and sales numbers reflect that. Those who love to judge despite having no contact with the vehicle have absolutely no merit to do so. I admittedly am not a GM fan (a major Blue Oval fan), but I cannot deny GM makes some excellent vehicles, the ATS being one of the new success stories. It's Magnetic Ride Control (which even Ferrari borrows tech from) is one of the best in the business and in implementing it, has essentially dethroned the Ultimate Driving Machine in the small entry level luxury sport class. Same can be said of Lexus and the 4GS over the revered 5-Series. Honestly as BMW's are losing sport in favor of Luxury and others are gaining sport and performance at the expense of utility (as one example), the entire playing field is essentially becoming level and there really isn't a bad choice to choose from. It'll come down to personal preference in regards to branding and aesthetics.
Old 01-20-13, 07:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natnut
Doesn't the ATS have a miniscule rear seat and trunk?
Yes, but no moreso than the 2IS. It's livable.
Old 01-20-13, 08:00 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think they are both great designs, although the ATS is very conservative. I would not buy an ATS because of the much-maligned CUE system. They need to go back to the drawing board on that, and I'm sure they will. It looks like Lexus hasn't overburdened the 3IS with iPad-type technology (ala CUE and the new Q50 touch pad), and that should be a good thing in the long run.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I don't want to move icons around with my fingers while I'm trying to drive.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus IS vs. Cadillac ATS