IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which design do you prefer?
2014 Lexus IS
81.25%
2013 Cadillac ATS
18.75%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

2014 Lexus IS vs. Cadillac ATS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 03:39 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Force induction doesn't make a car, driver's car.
not by itself but a properly built sports sedan using forced induction could save weight and reduce the size of the car to make it sportier...a route taken by both Cadillac and BMW now. The ATS is DEFINITELY a driver's car. Every single reviewer out there says its the new benchmark for handling in its class which is high praise. Lets hope the IS350 can meet this challenge
Old 01-16-13, 03:59 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing new going on from the Cadillac based on the exterior, plus it has the reputation as old an people's car... 3IS hands down!!!
Old 01-16-13, 04:46 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
not by itself but a properly built sports sedan using forced induction could save weight and reduce the size of the car to make it sportier...a route taken by both Cadillac and BMW now. The ATS is DEFINITELY a driver's car. Every single reviewer out there says its the new benchmark for handling in its class which is high praise. Lets hope the IS350 can meet this challenge
Turbo doesn't have instant torque like electric motor or supercharger, how can it be sportier than NA engine? For normal driving condition, probably yes because it would go like 6500-7K rpm like at the track. Turbo can provide low end torque, the same way electric motor can. If you didn't know, Tesla S with around 400hp out run twin turbo underrated 550hp M5. I don't know why people are still so obsessed with technology from decades ago. Current technology is good enough for the giant Toyota to make electric motor bests any kind of force induction.
Old 01-16-13, 07:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cino
Turbo doesn't have instant torque like electric motor or supercharger, how can it be sportier than NA engine? For normal driving condition, probably yes because it would go like 6500-7K rpm like at the track. Turbo can provide low end torque, the same way electric motor can. If you didn't know, Tesla S with around 400hp out run twin turbo underrated 550hp M5. I don't know why people are still so obsessed with technology from decades ago. Current technology is good enough for the giant Toyota to make electric motor bests any kind of force induction.
A good modern turbo has no lag. Ever drive a BMW 335 vs. IS350? The IS350 has a very linear band all the way to redline but the 335i has so much low end torque it just pulls and pulls even at low rpm. You even said a turbo can provide low end torque the same as an electric motor so you even provided the explanation of why a turbo engine can be sportier than NA. Lets also keep in mind that forced induction is a way of adding horsepower without putting in a bigger engine. This lets you keep s smaller, lighter vehicle.

Electric motors can be made very fast but most people don't want to deal with charging their cars and worrying about the battery running out of juice. Lets not get into that discussion here.
Old 01-16-13, 09:25 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
A good modern turbo has no lag. Ever drive a BMW 335 vs. IS350? The IS350 has a very linear band all the way to redline but the 335i has so much low end torque it just pulls and pulls even at low rpm. You even said a turbo can provide low end torque the same as an electric motor so you even provided the explanation of why a turbo engine can be sportier than NA. Lets also keep in mind that forced induction is a way of adding horsepower without putting in a bigger engine. This lets you keep s smaller, lighter vehicle.

Electric motors can be made very fast but most people don't want to deal with charging their cars and worrying about the battery running out of juice. Lets not get into that discussion here.
Turbo with high low end torque will run out of juice/recessed at high RPM, and it feels not that sporty compare to NA when that happens. Modern turbo has lag, it's just small that it can hardly be noticed in daily driving. I doubt you would tackle every corner on public road just to prove that turbo is sportier.
Old 01-16-13, 10:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr05
i had a ATS as a loaner one time and it was the biggest POS......
why do you say that?
Old 01-16-13, 10:47 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ntocamping
Never really saw it before on the rear of the IS but why are the tailights sticking outside the rear panel like 2 ears on each side of the car. That looks hideous. Hopefully this is unique to the IS 300 but that does not appeal to me at all.

That's for aerodynamic purposes. Probably to increase downforce during high speeds.

The current GS has similarly shaped tails for the same reason.
Old 01-16-13, 10:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr05
i had a ATS as a loaner one time and it was the biggest POS......
Curious which one? 2.5, 2.0T or 3.6?
Old 01-16-13, 10:52 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rogers2
I would definately go with an full loaded ATS over an IS. After owning an IS for the pass year I don't find anything special about the car. Maybe I would feel different about an ISF.
I saw a full loaded ATS in the church parking lot on last Sunday and the car look great in my opinion. It looks like a luxury car. The IS is more of a nice get around car with good gas mileage. It doesn't say I have arrived.
What is up with the IS front end?

Your experience is invalid since you're talking about the 2nd generation IS that you own.

This comparison is between the 3rd generation upcoming IS vs the current ATS.

Last edited by natnut; 01-16-13 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 01:42 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I test drove the ATS at the last 2 auto shows I attended... And I have to say its a great car to drive... I'd pick it over the 3 series/C class/G. Over the 3IS? Don't know... Gotta check out first! But if it drives anything like the GS it'll be great!
Old 01-17-13, 05:26 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Your experience is invalid since you're talking about the 2nd generation IS that you own.

This comparison is between the 3rd generation upcoming IS vs the current ATS.
How many of you have seen the new IS in person? Ah probably no one. From the pics in this thread I think the ATS looks better than the IS. I don't expect people on the Lexus forum to side with the ATS. In those pics the IS doesn't look all that great. The front end is too busy and if the interior and driving dynamics are the same as the current car I will pick the ATS. Regardless the IS is going to sell b/c it's a Lexus and its asking price begins in the 30's but from the pictures I just don't find the car exterior special.

Last edited by rogers2; 01-17-13 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-17-13, 09:30 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rogers2
How many of you have seen the new IS in person? Ah probably no one. From the pics in this thread I think the ATS looks better than the IS. I don't expect people on the Lexus forum to side with the ATS. In those pics the IS doesn't look all that great. The front end is too busy and if the interior and driving dynamics are the same as the current car I will pick the ATS. Regardless the IS is going to sell b/c it's a Lexus and its asking price begins in the 30's but from the pictures I just don't find the car exterior special.
You're a bit behind on Lexus developments aren't you?

Lexus has really stepped up the ride and handling game, so much so that the new GS is now the class leader in handling and fun-to-drive quotient, beating the 5 series,A6,Infiniti M and E class. The new Lexi, starting with the new 4th Gen GS as standard bearer, drive NOTHING like the previous generation Lexi.

It's as if Lexus swallowed an old-school BMW and incorporated all the good stuff (that made older BMWs such sublime handlers) into its genetic makeup. The irony is that current GS drive more like an old school E39 than current 5 series.

Which is why I said your experiences with your old 2nd Gen IS are probably misleading as to how the new IS will drive.

The new IS is based off the new GS chassis and will probably IMPROVE on the already impressive dynamics of the GS chassis, being a smaller and lighter car.

If it follows the example set by the 4GS, expect the 3IS is be either class leading or supercompetitive in terms of handling and dynamics.

Last edited by natnut; 01-17-13 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-17-13, 09:34 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
You're a bit behind on Lexus developments aren't you?

Lexus has really stepped up the ride and handling game, so much so that the new GS is now the class leader in handling and fun-to-drive quotient, beating the 5 series,A6,Infiniti M and E class. The new Lexi, starting with the new 4th Gen GS as standard bearer, drive NOTHING like the previous generation Lexi.

Which is why I said your experiences with your old 2nd Gen IS are probably misleading as to how the new IS will drive.

The new IS is based off the new GS chassis and will probably IMPROVE on the already impressive dynamics of the GS chassis, being a smaller and lighter car.

If it follows the example set by the 4GS, expect the 3IS is be either class leading or supercompetitive in terms of handling and dynamics.
I really hope you're right. My only concern is that select reviewers have already test driven a pre-production unit and said that handling wasn't too different from the 2IS. I'm hoping they've made some advancements since but lets not count our chickens before they've hatched.
Old 01-17-13, 02:19 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why do you say that?
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Curious which one? 2.5, 2.0T or 3.6?
i had the 2.5 which i am sure its different or at least would hope so. on start up engine felt like it was going to fall off, ruff on shifting, and didn't like touch of the center console not user friendly for me at least.
Old 01-17-13, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I agree, no reason to assume the new IS will not be a drive/handling improvement over the old IS with the GS or even the ES as an example.

Hard to compare the two since I have not seen a 3IS in person let alone driven one, but I can say the ATS is a great car. Great looking, sharp inside, comfortable, great to drive. My sore point with the ATS is the gauge cluster which looks like it came out of a mid 90s Buick:

The tiny half-moon speedo doesn't scream "sporty" to me at all. Wish the ATS came with Caddy's CUE gauge cluster from the XTS, which is great.

I would buy an ATS over a 2IS...

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus IS vs. Cadillac ATS