IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anyone Trade their 2IS for the 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 06:15 AM
yycdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The styling of the 2IS was more pedestrian, and less polarizing. It was rather unremarkable inside and out for most people. There's definitely a lot more personality with the 3IS, which means it goes both ways...just like it can with people.

Personally, I love it inside and out. The 2IS wasn't even on my radar for a purchase, but the 3IS is at the top of the list.
Old 04-09-13, 06:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

there was a much bigger difference between the 1IS to 2IS vs 2IS to 3IS
Old 04-09-13, 07:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
there was a much bigger difference between the 1IS to 2IS vs 2IS to 3IS
well yeah... 2IS was much more grown up design.
Old 07-15-13, 04:02 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
Default For Those who went from 2IS 350 to 3IS 350

So, I have a question to those who went from the 2IS 350 to the new 3IS 350. How would you say the performance of the 3IS compares to the one from the 2IS? Does is feel like the 3IS is faster/slower? specially with the new transmission. I know the handling's got to be a ton better but I keep seeing the performance specs as far as acceleration (1/4 mile, 0-60) to be considerably slower... 1/4 mile at 14.0 and 14.2? the 2IS was in the mid 13s easily and I would think the new transmission should at least compensate for the small increase in weight on the 3IS to keep the numbers the same or even better.
Old 07-15-13, 06:37 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slower than 2IS for sure.
Old 07-15-13, 06:42 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

It's probably about .2 - .3 second slower for sure but the new exterior enhancement made up for the lacks of performance. I didnt buy the new 3IS for speed, I bought it because it looks cool and it handles well on twisties...
Old 07-15-13, 06:55 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure why, but On a recent test drive of the 3IS, it feels slower than 2IS.. I expected more from 2 more gears.. Not sure whats the deal here.
Old 07-15-13, 08:10 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

It feels slower but when I punch it from cruising around 40 it definitely feels faster especially on S+.
Gas pedal feels very stiff too not as soft as 2IS.
Old 07-16-13, 12:35 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
slower than 2IS for sure.
I keep hearing this, but how/why???
Old 07-16-13, 01:21 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the car heavier? maybe the added weight is something.. I def miss the neck snapping feel of my 2IS but this car makes up for it in every other way. I dont even think about it anymore.
Old 07-16-13, 01:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Not sure why, but On a recent test drive of the 3IS, it feels slower than 2IS.. I expected more from 2 more gears.. Not sure whats the deal here.
It's not like the 6 speed threw the engine out of it's power band each time it up shifted in the 2IS, so those 2 extra gears would do virtually nothing from a standing start. In fact, if the 6 ratios kept the engine in it's power band during upshifts, adding more ratios could slow the car down due to wasted time/energy for upshifts that wouldn't have needed to happen otherwise.

Where the 8 speed would have an advantage is during rolling starts where it's much less likely to be in a "bad gear"
Old 07-16-13, 01:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
is the car heavier? maybe the added weight is something.. I def miss the neck snapping feel of my 2IS but this car makes up for it in every other way. I dont even think about it anymore.
66 lbs heavier, not really going to notice that
Old 07-16-13, 07:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I test drove the 3IS, here is my take.
I own the 2IS and 3GS, and an ES.
Yes, I signed on the dotted line.

The 3IS is surprisingly small and low in real life.
The 3IS looks aggressive and almost animal-like on the outside; it is not the most stylish car, but it does have style.

Inside, the 3IS also has style.
However, because the surfaces are not flush and smooth, the 3IS is likely to age quickly.
True, the circular buttons on the 3IS steering wheel are a bit cheap and bland.
True, the center console with ventilation controls are a bit cheap.
The 3IS waist line is low, with excellent visibility.
The 3IS sat nav is surprisingly legible, despite having a slightly small screen.
The 3IS interior has more legroom especially by making the front seat back rests thinner.
There are some negative points about the 3IS interior, but overall the interior is thumbs up with style and space.

The 3IS has much more style on the inside in general, than the 4GS.
At the showroom, the 4GS has a stylish nose and C-pillar, and a slightly bland tail.
However, the biggest let down with the 4GS is that ungainly dashboard.
The 4GS center console is not too bad.
I think the main reason for the 4GS poor sales across America is due to the bland tail, and the dashboard, especially in the area above the glove box, and around the hi-fi controls.
The materials and fit and finish in the 3IS is not as good as the 4GS, but good enough, and much better than C Class and 3 Series.

Engine.
The 2.5 in the IS is quite good; surprisingly quiet!!!
For some strange reason, the 2.5 in the 4GS overseas was very loud on acceleration, but not so the 3IS250, it is pleasantly quiet.
However, on cruising the 3IS is not match for the overall quietness of the 4GS, esp tire and wind noise; nevermind, I can live with that.

Power-wise, the new 3IS 2.5 and 3.5 both seem weaker and slower than the old 2IS 2.5 and 3.5.
The new 3IS seems to have put on weight!
Nevermind - I can live with that.

The new 3.5 8 speed gearbox?
I can hardly tell the difference.
It doesn't seem to make the new IS350 any faster at all; in fact, it feels slower.
The new 3.5 is also noticeably louder and not as sweet revving as the 2.5.
The 3.5 is more accelerative, but the 2.5 is fine.

The new steering column is still positioned quite low, and only a little higher than before.
The new 3IS steering is noticeably and unnecessarily heavier.
New 3IS steering has more feel.
New 3IS steering is reasonably sharp.
However, bad news for Natnut and Steve - new 3IS is bigger and heavier than 2IS, and changes in direction and terminal grip is LOWER than 2IS.
With each successive generation, from the 1IS of 2000, the IS is getting bigger, heavier, with slower changes in direction, and less terminal grip.
In all my years of experience, the 1IS remains the quickest of the IS's, and the new 3IS the slowest.
However, the new 3IS is not as loose and insecure in handling as the new 3 Series.

The F-Sport is only slighter firmer and slighter sharper than the standard.
Both the new F-Sport and the new base model have an excellent, nee perfect ride!!!
The new 3IS ride is stunning.
The 4GS has an even better ride than the 3IS, with longer suspension travel than the 3IS, but the best thing of all about the 4GS is the ride noise - the 4GS must be one of the quietest cruising cars on the market today.

Overall, the 3IS is good.
Has good styling outside and inside.
Spacious.
Bigger boot, with fold down rear seats too.
The new 3IS engine performance and economy is satisfactory.
The new 3IS handling is not as good as the smaller lighter old 2IS, but is decently competitive, and much tighter than the loose and insecure 3 Series.
The new 3IS doesn't cruise as quietly as the 4GS, but it's not supposed to cruise as quietly as the 4GS.
The 3IS cruises quietly enough.

New 3IS is not a perfect car, but I signed on the dotted line.
New 3IS should sell well, if not even better than the out-going 2IS...
Old 07-16-13, 08:00 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

It is not about "throwing it out of the powerband".

The whole point of having an 8 speed auto is, having 2 overdrive gears free up the first 6 gears to be shortened. Shorter gearing means more torque multiplication from gears.

That is all in theory. Now, it could be possible that Lexus for whatever reason have the new 8 speed auto in IS350 has actually taller gearing than the older 6 speed auto, which makes it less "punchy".

Ofcourse, I have been really wanting to see the gear ratios and final drive ratios of the 3IS and want to compare with the 2IS 6 speed gear ratios to draw a conclusion.

Originally Posted by Ramon
It's not like the 6 speed threw the engine out of it's power band each time it up shifted in the 2IS, so those 2 extra gears would do virtually nothing from a standing start. In fact, if the 6 ratios kept the engine in it's power band during upshifts, adding more ratios could slow the car down due to wasted time/energy for upshifts that wouldn't have needed to happen otherwise.

Where the 8 speed would have an advantage is during rolling starts where it's much less likely to be in a "bad gear"
Old 07-16-13, 08:30 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is not about "throwing it out of the powerband".

The whole point of having an 8 speed auto is, having 2 overdrive gears free up the first 6 gears to be shortened. Shorter gearing means more torque multiplication from gears.

That is all in theory. Now, it could be possible that Lexus for whatever reason have the new 8 speed auto in IS350 has actually taller gearing than the older 6 speed auto, which makes it less "punchy".

Ofcourse, I have been really wanting to see the gear ratios and final drive ratios of the 3IS and want to compare with the 2IS 6 speed gear ratios to draw a conclusion.
Yes, it absolutely is.

Every shift takes time and energy. If 4 shifts can keep the engine in it's power band, adding two more shifts to bring them closer together won't do much. It's counter-productive unless the 4 ratios before were so wide apart that acceleration was hindered.

Quick Reply: Anyone Trade their 2IS for the 3IS