IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 07:56 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
efficiency of Camry HSD with at least 10hp (up to 30-40) more and RWD setup... thats all we know.

It should get 40mpg US at least, have direct injection and at minimum 210hp.
Very nice! I wonder how much trunk space we'll lose. Looking forward to more news, thanks!
Old 10-09-12, 08:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks
Stop cluttering up the thread with your silly rants man, you compare everything to the 4GS, those numbers does not say much. Despite the numbers the F10 M5 posted; it will still murder any Lexus on a track or street sans the LFA. Every thread here you seem to regurgitate the same redundant argument. It's quite ironic that as great as you say the 4GS is you still don't own one. We all know its Lexus's best effort yet and we're tired of you rambling about it in almost every thread in this sub fora.
Why don't you and other non-Lexus fans and non-Lexus owners stop it with the silly rants? This is a LEXUS website, and a LEXUS forum. You are also posting in a LEXUS topic, regarding a future LEXUS product.

Since you like BMW so much, and you own one, perhaps you'd be happier posting on a BMW forum and not a Lexus one?
Old 10-09-12, 08:13 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Stop cluttering up the thread with your silly rants man, you compare everything to the 4GS, those numbers does not say much. Despite the numbers the F10 M5 posted; it will still murder any Lexus on a track or street sans the LFA. Every thread here you seem to regurgitate the same redundant argument. It's quite ironic that as great as you say the 4GS is you still don't own one. We all know its Lexus's best effort yet and we're tired of you rambling about it in almost every thread in this sub fora.

I didn't start the discussion into the 4GS on this thread. The new IS is based on the 4GS architecture so people will be interested in how the 4GS platform performs. One poster asked about how the 4GS platform is rated by critics so I furnished him some links. Another poster decided to publish some other links purported to counter the favorable reviews of the 4GS so we engaged in discussion into the details of those "unfavorable reviews". All such discussions are germane to the potential capabilities of the upcoming IS chassis and in no way constitutes a derailment of the topic.

If "those numbers" meaning the slalom speeds published by Insideline don't say much, then why has Insideline used this objective criteria to measure a car's handling for the past half decade at least? Without these objective repeatable numbers, there is no other consistent way of comparing handling between cars.

As for your accusation of "ranting" and "rambling": I'm merely engaging in a calm rational discussion using published objective handling numbers as measured by a well known online car-magazine. I'm sorry if those published numbers don't cast BMWs in a favorable light and that displeases you. You're free to find for yourself other objective tests to prove that BMWs still outhandle the 4GS/future IS chassis

Or as other posters have suggested, you could find yourself a sympathetic BMW forum and indulge in your own ranting and rambling there about how current BMWs are the greatest thing since sliced bread and how deluded Lexus owners are about their cars' handling. Basing their assessment of a car's handling on skidpad and slalom numbers, how delusional !!!!!!??????!!!!

Last edited by natnut; 10-09-12 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-09-12, 08:46 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The M5 has a monster engine that may spontaneously destroy itself. The discussion is about the chassis, which is what the IS will share with the GS.
Old 10-10-12, 03:56 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Next time they should badge the GS350 as the BMW 535i and see what happens
Old 10-10-12, 05:06 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Ok guys lets get this back on topic about the 3IS.

Rocks, please exit this thread.
Old 10-10-12, 08:39 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
In the first comparo vs the A6 they preferred the drive of the GS but the A6 won because of "character" (hint: it's German).

In the second comparo the A7 is a segment above the GS. They skipped comparing it to the A6 altogether.
Did you even bother to look at the objective performance numbers? The A6/A7 simply outperformed the GS. Once again, the GS was criticized for lacking steering feel. A trait that's prevalent among all generations of Lexus. If Lexus wants to change its image as the car for old people they need to address basic issues like steering feel, especially in its sportiest version.

Last edited by F1Driver; 10-10-12 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 08:47 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by natnut
How do your examples disprove "highly rated"?

In both cases, the reviewers still subjectively preferred the handling and driving feel of the GS350 over the Audi A6/A7 with the Audi just edging it due to other factors. In the final analysis, they still "rated" the GS350 highly only that the Audi was judged slightly better.

In summary, the GS has won 2 comprehensive head-to-head comparos, been objectively reviewed and tested to have handling numbers on par or better than several established modern super-sedans (even better than the 2013 M5 for instance) and narrowly lost 2 comparos to Audi, one of them an A7 costing several thousands more than the GS AND the reviewers nonetheless admitting that the GS was a better driver's car than the Audis.
How about looking at the objective performance numbers for once. Subjective preferences mean squat on a racetrack. Subjectively, a Miata may have better handling and driving feel than a 370Z but a 370Z will destroy a Miata on a racetrack.
Old 10-10-12, 08:58 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Overall I'm pretty excited. My biggest fear is that I would like it too much and trade in. Front obviously as predicted has the spindle grille which IMO looks rather handsome on a small car (similar to to how at least for your Bangle era cars the smaller they were the better looking they are, reverse for the larger ones). I think it suits it very well. Like the GS side profile the IS sides do still have that "slab" feel but more aero and sweeping side sills add to a different look. Your biggest differences are in the front and rear. Like I mentioned earlier the tails are very sharp and remind me of the LF-GH concept for the GS. Overall I would say the change is in between medium and huge. Of course my opinion is subjective but I'd give it a solid 9. The one small photo of the interior that I saw has an overall GS-esque feel to me, but the photo being so small has me a little worried because I couldn't see the quality of the materials used. Point being, working at a high end automall and based out of our Lexus dealer I'm in new ES's and GS's day in and day out. With this new ES out I am NOT impressed whatsoever by the cheapness and quality of the materials used (nothing to do with design layout which is fine IMO). I just hope the IS follows the better quality materials of the GS and not this ES, because as the driver this would be my biggest gripe and deterrent for not getting a new IS based on interior.

I think they both carry about the same "presence" in terms of aggression, but the F-Sport is certainly a beauty. If I saw one in Obsidian or Starfire Pearl I wouldn't be able to resist. I'll double check the photos (I don't have them my manager does) but iirc the F-Sport doesn't have fogs. But i'll check again, so if anyone has any questions about the aesthetics short of showing an actual picture i'll be happy to take a look and answer if I can.

Thanks Mike! Just trying to serve these boards best I can

Unfortunately no word on power trains. The only "Vectoring" I know about is the streaming of navigation maps with vectoring lol. The 250 manual is dead that much we know. I'll keep my ears open for any slips on this.

Either they will continue to soldier on with the older powertrains or take the opportunity to introduce new ones it's really anyone's guess still. We do know that the hybrid will be offered too so IS300h, a member suggested 240hp but I'm pretty sure it's the same 200hp like in the new ES300h. We'll see. One things for sure, if a new V6 bows in replacement for the 3.5L DI, it needs to be as refined. My biggest gripe with the G37 is the coarse sounding engine. I much prefer the VQ35. DCT would be nice, but at least a 8-speed with a true manual mode similar to the current GS's 6-speed with a true manual mode will suffice for me. But again this is all heresy.

lol ok, like I mentioned above I'll take another look at the photos. If anyone has any questions regarding the aesthetics, go head and ask and i'll do my best to answer them
the pic I saw ofthe car look really impressive to say the least. the IS line are true to it design and the new LF CC is sort of what we should expect for the next Gen IS
Old 10-10-12, 09:07 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Did you even bother to look at the objective performance numbers? The A6/A7 simply outperformed the GS. Once again, the GS was criticized for lacking steering feel. A trait tha's prevalent among all generations of Lexus. If Lexus wants to change its image as the car for old people they need to address basic issues like steering feel, especially in its sportiest version.
The A6 they tested had the optional sport package with the larger tires and sport suspension. The GS was a base luxury model and not an F-sport.

Both the A6 and A7 will outperform a 4GS in straight-line acceleration because they have supercharged lower displacement engines with lots of low end torque. These engines do not however have as much top end heave. Both the A6/A7 tested are AWD vs. the RWD GS, so they will have more grip on the skid pad (the alternative for Audi is FWD and not desirable for performance). However what is important in the context of the IS is not necessarily engine performance or AWD, but rather chassis performance (slalom times).

Steering feel is something that will slowly go by the way side in all manufacturers because fuel economy regulations are forcing a turn to electric steering. The new 3 series has this and has been widely criticized for inferior feel compared to its hydraulic predecessor. The 4GS will be no different and neither will the Audis. Electric steering does not necessarily have a direct connection to the front tires and any feel will thus be artificial.
Old 10-10-12, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

i think we've beaten the audi vs. gs comparisons enough... back to the 3IS.
Old 10-10-12, 09:14 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The LFA is sportier than anything they will ever make. The IS F as well and the GS has wiped the floor with the M in comparisons. You do realize they had a good 3-4 year run with the G35/M35/45/FX right. Before than and since then they haven't done great in comparisons.
GS has wiped the floor with the M in comparisons? Not from a performance point of view:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...all.html?ti=v2

Actually not really true. Maybe one test or here and there. The 3 series still dominates and the IS has beaten the G in a few comparisons as well in rankings.
Which few comparisons I'm curious to know. The only thing I know with absolute certainty is that the IS has never beatened the 3-series which the G has done. That is fact.
Old 10-10-12, 09:20 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by F1Driver
GS has wiped the floor with the M in comparisons? Not from a performance point of view:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...all.html?ti=v2

Which few comparisons I'm curious to know. The only thing I know with absolute certainty is that the IS has never beatened the 3-series which the G has done. That is fact.
The 3GS was not a driver's car. The 4GS is, and it has beaten the M in comparisons. It has even beaten the 5 series. The new IS will be based on the 4GS.
Old 10-10-12, 09:26 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

The A6 they tested had the optional sport package with the larger tires and sport suspension. The GS was a base luxury model and not an F-sport.
Can you point to me where it said that the A6 had the optional sport package? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Old 10-10-12, 09:29 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

The 3GS was not a driver's car. The 4GS is, and it has beaten the M in comparisons.
Beatened the M from a performance point of view? Where can I find these comparisons?

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit