IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-12, 01:48 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
maybe so but I'm willing to bet BMW 335i sales of manual transmission cars is <20% versus the automatics. A quick look on autotrader showed about 3500 auto trans versus only about 400 manuals for sale.

Sad too, I love manual trannys.
Well, BMW stopped offering a manual transmission for the new M5 because the demand for manual transmissions was far too low to justify the cost -

M's head of engineering, Albert Biermann, admitted this week that there were no plans to fit three pedals in the next-generation M6 and M5 because the order rate was too low to justify the added work.

"Last year, maybe 15-20 percent of our M5s in the U.S. were manuals and maybe this year it will be 15 percent. It's declining," Biermann warned.

"The trouble is that nobody wants it in Europe or anywhere else, so this will be the last time we do it, even for the hard-core U.S. buyers."

The M5's six-speed manual transmission has been heavily reworked from its 5 Series origins and sells alongside the seven-speed double-clutch unit as a no-cost option in the U.S. The gearbox will also be a no-cost option on the upcoming M6 Coupe and Convertible. BMW does not offer it for sale on any other continent.

"We just can't justify it anymore. It's a no-cost option, but it's been very difficult to do.

"Theoretically the stick is cheaper, but it's very low volumes and we have to strengthen everything in the gearbox and find space for the shifter and another pedal, so it doesn't work out cheaper."
Old 10-03-12, 01:50 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ydooby
I think the take rate of the manual IS has been extremely low only because Lexus isn't offering it in the IS350. People who pick manual over automatic are mostly those wanting to be driving spiritedly, and yet with the IS they are limited to the weak 2.5L. Lexus should realize who the target audience of the manual is these days and make the manual option available in the more powerful variants accordingly.
It's low because the vast vast majority of new car buyers in the U.S. buy automatics or paddle shifting "manu"-matics.

For most of the 2000-2010 decade, < 5% of new car purchases were manuals. 95%+ were automatics.
Old 10-03-12, 01:56 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the manual in the IS250 was junk also. The gearing was not optimal and made considerably less MPG than the automatic.
Old 10-03-12, 02:14 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Personally I'm excited to hear that the new GS350 has a true paddle shifting "manu"-matic mode (in sport mode; in regular driving mode the paddles act as gear limiters as they do on our current IS350s).

If the new IS350 gets true paddle shifting, that'll be a huge relief.
Old 10-03-12, 05:03 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Well, BMW stopped offering a manual transmission for the new M5 because the demand for manual transmissions was far too low to justify the cost -

"We just can't justify it anymore. It's a no-cost option, but it's been very difficult to do.

"Theoretically the stick is cheaper, but it's very low volumes and we have to strengthen everything in the gearbox and find space for the shifter and another pedal, so it doesn't work out cheaper."
.....and there you are....and to keep costs down a bit, IMO the IS shouldn't bother with the manual trans.
Old 10-03-12, 05:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
.....and there you are....and to keep costs down a bit, IMO the IS shouldn't bother with the manual trans.
And it won't. It has been confirmed the manual is now dead in the IS.

/
Old 10-04-12, 05:53 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Next Lexus IS And Corolla Caught Testing In California's Urban Jungle

Last edited by Carmaker1; 10-04-12 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-04-12, 07:58 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Camouflaged Next-Generation Lexus IS Spotted in Europe

The next-generation Lexus IS has been spotted again, this time in a eye-deceiving swirl-pattern body wrap — here are some photos from Autowereld:

Unlike the previous camouflage, some design details of the new IS can be seen, and what’s visible looks very similar to the LF-CC concept:

It’s always difficult to judge camouflaged vehicles — the next-generation IS appears ever-so-slightly bigger, with a similar profile to the current model. What little detail can be seen is very encouraging, but there’s still too much hidden by swirls to get an accurate read.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/#ktAg5HHtymOcmWd8.99
Old 10-04-12, 08:02 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Lexus IS knocking at the gate

Less than a week after the unveiling of its conceptual predecessor drove this heavily packed our Lexus IS lens over. He may look tame but what we expect in all a very sporty camouflage lined model to find.

Centrally on the Lexus stand at the Paris Motor Show was the LF-CC spectacular-looking concept that a precursor to the next generation of the IS. Here we are after all expectantly waiting now we have more than seven years with the current IS should do. With a revelation in 2013 on the agenda was waiting spyshots of an IS-prototype. This week we laid him in Belgium for the first time on camera plate. Boring? Fear not, this prototype may be quite conservative eyes, a closer look shows that many lines of the concept find its way into the production model. To start the grille. It may seem like a small specimen to be but if you look closely seen through the psychedelic plastic weldegelijk the large trapezoid shape in the nose processed. Also the deep grooves in the hood will be in a weakened form seen in the final version. At the back, the smaller number of question marks. The pointed light units also appear here largely that of the LF-CC and we welcome only yours!

Coupe
We have evidently with the four-IS to make but the general expectation is that there is also a coupe and maybe even a drive variant will appear. Or Lexus also harks back to the till-now-far unsuccessful convertible is still questionable. During 2013, the new Lexus IS be revealed.
http://www.autowereld.com/spyshots/d...?artikel=14196
Old 10-04-12, 08:41 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well one thing we can see clearly is how @$$ ugly those wheels are.

I know those likely aren't the wheels we'll see in production, heh. Just saying. 2013 can't get here soon enough. I wanna see the new Vette and new IS, damnit!
Old 10-04-12, 09:15 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Is this the IS-h ? I don't see the exhaust pipes?

Old 10-04-12, 09:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

thats an hybrid too! IS300h... no tail pipes.
Old 10-04-12, 10:16 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That does look like the IS hybrid.
Old 10-04-12, 10:25 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the new pics. Can't see much but I sincerely hope those econo-wheels aren't gonna make it to production.

The design of the wheels on the ActiveHybrid 3 is simply brilliant on the other hand, cleverly aggressive and aerodynamic at the same time through the use of contrasting colors. I hope Lexus can do something like that for their hybrids too.
Old 10-04-12, 10:42 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ydooby
Thanks for the new pics. Can't see much but I sincerely hope those econo-wheels aren't gonna make it to production.

The design of the wheels on the ActiveHybrid 3 is simply brilliant on the other hand, cleverly aggressive and aerodynamic at the same time through the use of contrasting colors. I hope Lexus can do something like that for their hybrids too.
Those look very similar to the Camry SE's wheels, so I strongly hope Lexus does NOT use those wheels.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit