IS250 Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 08:39 PM
nnfslaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 Purchase Advice

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I'm planning to purchase an IS250 AWD since my 2003 VW Passat V6 with 4Motion has recently been involved in a small accident but the car has been written off.

I'm retired and am looking for a non-turbo-charge engine, V6, full-time AWD, compact size sedan. I somehow think the IS250 seems to target for younger people but honestly I couldn't find many choices with what I want available in the market.

My major hesitation in my Lexus purchase is that the 4Motion AWD system on my VW Passat has never disappointed me on snow throughout the last 12 years I owned the vehicle. I'm wondering if the AWD system on the IS250 is as capable as the 4Motion? Can anyone shed some light?

Also, is there anything else I need to be concerned about or pay attention if I'm to go for the IS250? I understand most people on this website love their Lexus but I would also want to know the drawbacks these vehicles might have

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Greeting from Canada.
Old 03-21-15, 11:08 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the IS250 is great. The only thing I could think of is it might take you some time to get used to the smaller V6 engine.

Other than that, the ride is smooth and fun, gear shift is smooth. no complaints here
Old 03-22-15, 05:21 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not familiar with the 4 Motion, but the IS cars are very capable in the snow. The car feels very secure in snow.

Originally Posted by nnfslaw
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I'm planning to purchase an IS250 AWD since my 2003 VW Passat V6 with 4Motion has recently been involved in a small accident but the car has been written off.

I'm retired and am looking for a non-turbo-charge engine, V6, full-time AWD, compact size sedan. I somehow think the IS250 seems to target for younger people but honestly I couldn't find many choices with what I want available in the market.

My major hesitation in my Lexus purchase is that the 4Motion AWD system on my VW Passat has never disappointed me on snow throughout the last 12 years I owned the vehicle. I'm wondering if the AWD system on the IS250 is as capable as the 4Motion? Can anyone shed some light?

Also, is there anything else I need to be concerned about or pay attention if I'm to go for the IS250? I understand most people on this website love their Lexus but I would also want to know the drawbacks these vehicles might have

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Greeting from Canada.
Old 03-22-15, 07:22 AM
nnfslaw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! I'm planning to get a set of snow tires just in case so i assume that will help.

I tried to find the spec. of the wheels by searching in the forum but not much luck. Anyone can shed some light. the spec for the rims that came with the model I'm planning to purchase is:

P225/40R18 (Front)
P255/35R18 (Rear)

Anyone knows the offset of these wheels? Does it have to be a staggered setting if I'm to get a set of winter tires?

thanks,
Old 03-22-15, 08:54 AM
dashmer
Rookie

Hello from the snowy east coast...

I have a 2014 IS350 AWD and this is my second winter with it. To be honest, the IS has not seen a lot of miles this winter due to extreme snow conditions on the east coast. While the AWD drive system is excellent (and I am sure easily the equal or maybe better than VWs), ground clearance may be the thing to watch for. I don't know how it compares with your VW, so you may already be familiar with that constraint.

My car came with the same size wheels and tires as what you are looking at. I decided to drop down to 17" aftermarket wheels for winter tires (more rubber between the wheel and the potholes as well as narrower), big issue finding wheel fitment that would clear the front brake callipers, although I understand the IS250 has smaller brakes and this may be less of an issue for you. I ended up getting a wheel that I had to use a 3mm spacer for. Not a big deal. I run Nokian Hakkapalita R2s (P225/45R17) and I have been very happy with this setup.

If you haven't already test drove the vehicle, you should to find out if the transfer case hump in the driver side footwell bothers you. I don't even notice it is there, but some don't like it.

Good luck. Private PM me is you would like more info.
Old 03-22-15, 12:08 PM
a790
Driver

2014 IS350 AWD F-Sport.

Got decent amounts of snow this year in Calgary. IS handled it like a rock star. Very neutral, very balanced, very predictable.
Old 03-22-15, 02:09 PM
nnfslaw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone and the CDN Fellas! much appreciated and the insight from you all in this friendly community makes my purchase decision a lot easier.