IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Anyone install carbon fiber wrap for their interior?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-14, 01:43 PM
electrohou
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Video showing the removal of the 3rd gen Lexus is250/350 center console.

Note that the only part not shown is the removal of the screws that attach the leather surrounding area of the shift **** to the center. Some of the screws are shown near the end of the video with about 10-20 seconds remaining, there is just no footage of them actually unscrewing.

Last edited by electrohou; 03-07-15 at 02:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by electrohou:
ItsMeBeej (03-06-20), zangh (08-17-18)
Old 12-31-14, 02:11 PM
electrohou
Rookie

These are written instructions for removal of the center console to go along with the video.

Tools you need
1. Pry tool (I don't recommend using flat head screw driver, it will damage the plastic!)
2. +head screw driver

1. Remove the left side panel as well (instructions from first two photos where it is completed on the right side), both sides must come off. Once the three screws are removed from each side, the silver side trim pieces can now remove, and are held in by clips. Insert trim tool underneath and they will pop right out rather easily.

2. After you remove the side panels (four pieces total), it is time to remove the cup holder. First open the center storage compartment, the cup holder only requires pry tool to remove, insert pry tool underneath the cup holder pulling upwards, work from the rear side to the front, reason being is that all the clips are on the side except there is one at the very front, kinda like battery cover of our TV remote.

3. Once you remove the cup holder and disconnect the connectors, remove the back piece of the center console (notice the whole center console is actually in two pieces, rear is the one with eco/normal/sport switch.)

It only requires pry tool, but it is tighter than cup holder, pry the part from the very back and work your way to the front, do not pry from either left or right side to the other, once the back side is lifted, then you can slowly apply even prying force from both left and right sides. As long as you don't yank it, you shouldn't have to worry about breaking it. Remember, TAKE YOUR TIME!

4. This step can be done later as it is just the process of removing buttons from the bottom center piece. Now it's time to remove the buttons and the fuel injection mode control button (eco/normal/sport s+ button), the fuel injection button it self is a clip, pry that off first, because you can't pull that thing from the bottom. The button is a little tricky because you don't want to damage it, but yes the button actually comes apart in pieces from the top, you pry/pull at the side of the button, then once apart unscrew the four screws at the bottom, finally release all the clip holders on the side and simply pull the whole thing from the bottom. A few of the button pieces will come off at the top, as they cannot slide through the bottom.

5. (Note: Put the car on neutral and use the foot brake, then turn off the car. Because the shifter will be in the way when you are removing the front piece of center console when it is in park.) First remove the single screw securing the front center in place, it is in the left side underneath the shifter, then move on to detaching the front center console piece, now you should be able to see the clips from the side since you removed the side panels at the beginning, just a reminder there is a clip kinda angled on each side, so work with the direction of the clip.

6. Finally, unscrew the screws that hold the leather parts of the shifter, the leather and shifter will remain in the vehicle. There are 3-4 screws attaching the leather to the front center console piece (one of the top screws is in the far upper right corner and a little tricky to get to). Be very careful the screws do not fall into the center of the car as you are unscrewing/screwing, or they'll likely be stuck in there for good! It is very easy to drop the screws in there, so be careful. The front console piece can now detach. The front piece also has the seat warmer section to remove (if you want to wrap over it), very simple just press on the clips and release. (see below for further info on fully wrapping the heat warmer area)

* When wrapping the two center console pieces in any carbon fiber material, make sure the carbon fiber pattern is set to be rising/falling in the same direction on both pieces, before pre-cutting the vinyl. The carbon fiber pattern can actually be placed to appear in two ways, rising to the right or rising to the left. If the wrapped pieces are not consistent in pattern, it will result in the carbon fiber finished look to suddenly change directions, where the two center console halves meet.

*Note that if you are wanting to wrap the wrist rest piece in front of the navigation control (like the photo example in the very last post on page 2), it simply pulls off from the cupholder/nav controller section, and can be individually removed without taking apart anything else from the center. Just yank on the wrist rest piece and it'll pop off. Remove the screws at the bottom of the wrist rest to unlock the top section, this is needed as the thicker front end detaches and should not wrap with the top.

*When wrapping the seat warmer section, it is actually quite easy to fully wrap the *entire* area and still have the six lights fully display. The entire top piece of the seat warmer detaches from the heat setting buttons. Simply release the clips on the side of the seat warmer piece. Once the top is removed, you will see that the six lights are actually illuminated by six pegs. Each peg pulls right out and can be easily reinserted, once all six pegs are removed, you are left with six little holes. Where these six holes are, poke little holes in the covering vinyl in all six places, so light can shine through properly. Then, reattach the six pegs, and reclip the wrapped top plastic to the lower piece holding the seat warmer buttons. An example of a fully wrapped seat warmer section can be seen in the last post on page 2 of this forum (3rd/last picture).

Make sure when reassembling the center, that all wires are reachable to their upcoming connection points for future steps. Otherwise, if the wires are not pre-placed properly and cannot reach their upcoming plug-in points, you will have to backtrack on the install & retrieve the wires.

Once all wires are connected, start the car and make sure all functions from the originally unplugged wires work properly (drive select, navigation pad, heated seats) before finishing the entire reassembly.

Last edited by electrohou; 05-07-15 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zangh (08-17-18)
Old 12-31-14, 04:41 PM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a 48x12 sheet to wrap on the door, dash and center console pieces. It cost me $24 shipped on Amazon. I'll post some DIY pics when the vinyl arrives. I went with the Black 3M DI-NOC CA-421 (matte textured finish).
Old 12-31-14, 04:52 PM
rgonza1
Driver

electrohou, are you in Arizona? I also live in the Phoenix area (Gilbert).

Thanks for the info, did you take any pics of the project along the way? I hear the center console is a little difficult to take apart.

Ricky
Old 12-31-14, 09:46 PM
electrohou
Rookie

Originally Posted by rgonza1
electrohou, are you in Arizona? I also live in the Phoenix area (Gilbert).

Thanks for the info, did you take any pics of the project along the way? I hear the center console is a little difficult to take apart.

Ricky
Did not take pics along the way, though the instructions provided were definitely adequate. Start with the five trim pieces first as they are the easiest to both detach and wrap, and set good time aside to complete the center.

Even if you get stuck along the way, you can still drive the car around with the center missing.

Last edited by electrohou; 01-12-15 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-02-15, 08:02 PM
mmmrodge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver piece on my wheel got scratched. Wrapped it to match my console

Old 01-03-15, 06:42 AM
3ivato
Rookie

Nice Carbon fiber Pics
Old 01-03-15, 06:03 PM
electrohou
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmmrodge
Silver piece on my wheel got scratched. Wrapped it to match my console

Does this part detach easy from the steering wheel, or did you just wrap it without removal?
Old 01-03-15, 06:09 PM
mmmrodge
Driver

The bottom lower center piece pops out a lil bitto get it around and under
Old 01-06-15, 08:34 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

how to do you remove the interior steering wheel pieces?
Old 01-06-15, 11:32 PM
electrohou
Rookie

3m di-noc center console

Name:  44444.jpg
Views: 5273
Size:  752.6 KB

Name:  1111111.jpg
Views: 5368
Size:  749.2 KB

Last edited by electrohou; 02-16-15 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 11:35 PM
electrohou
Rookie

4d carbon fiber center console

Name:  44444444ddddddddd.jpg
Views: 5970
Size:  416.7 KB

Last edited by electrohou; 02-16-15 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 12:02 PM
itsjdmyo
Rookie

That steering wheel wrap looks great! Not sure if I understood your response correctly but did you say it just comes off a little bit? or completely off?
Old 01-08-15, 09:38 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by electrohou
3m di-noc center console
Nice job
Old 01-09-15, 10:49 PM
electrohou
Rookie

Originally Posted by itsjdmyo
That steering wheel wrap looks great! Not sure if I understood your response correctly but did you say it just comes off a little bit? or completely off?
It only pops up, doesn't detach. Will likely detach with greater effort taking apart the steering wheel, however the amount it simply pops up from the back was enough to properly wrap it.

Last edited by electrohou; 03-18-15 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone install carbon fiber wrap for their interior?