IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Obsidian black or Pearl white, help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-14, 12:56 AM
Msoderlund
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obsidian black or Pearl white, help me decide!

Hi!

I´m having this really positive problem that I´m just about to order a IS300h (unfortunately, not the F-Sport) but I can´t decide if I should choose the obsidian black or white pearl.

I live in Sweden and my "local" dealer is 500 miles from me so it makes the decision difficult.

Drove a black demo car (F-Sport), and man! I really loved it and the color obsidian (or starlight black as it´s named here)

I also think the white pearl is a good looking color, and, it´s more easy to maintain in my climate whit snow and salt in wintertime. I´ve looked at so many pictures now and the white looks stunning in some pics and not so much in some. The black is just so cool but many of the sharp lines maybe appear less than the white?

So, what do you guys think? Side by side, which color is the best looking on the new IS between black or white and what would your choice be?
Old 06-18-14, 04:36 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opposite ends of the spectrum. I have black, but wanted silver. It is the wife' car and she chose black. And guess who gets to try to keep it clean? For that reason, I'd go for the white. Much easier to keep it looking good. But when the black is clean, it looks sharp. Also need to consider the interior color. Although not for me, I must admit the red looks good on both. Tough call. Pro's and con's to both. Good luck!
Old 06-18-14, 06:28 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think white is hard to keep clean if you're living in an area where you experience four seasons and rain every other week. i love the fact that my white pearl gets a nice free car wash in the rain, but only when standing still. when moving, bc of the airflow, it'll kick all the grime and dirt on the car to the back trucker/bumper and it gets really dirty. the white is not that easy to maintain the snow either, with the melting water and road salt. it's quite noticeable. however, i love the white and red color combo and will never give it up! from my experience with dark colored cars, sure they look sharp, strong, edgy, however they are a pain in the *** to maintain. you can expect to see dirt and whatnot on white cars, but i hate washing a dark color car, and just after two days parking inside a garage you'll start to see dust, lint, ect. on the car. i guess its easier to see dust on dark cars. however, black will hide the paintchips on the front of the IS a lot easier.. that is probably the only and biggest downside to having the white pearl--effing rock chips galore!
Old 06-18-14, 06:30 AM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My previous two vehicles have been black, and like you, I live in a climate where it snows a lot, and there is a lot of snow and dirt on the roads. In my experience with my previous two black vehicles, they are a pain in the *** to keep clean, and I personally would never buy a vehicle that would be my daily driver in the colour black. When it's clean, black looks absolutely stunning! However, it only stays clean for a short while. White is easy to keep clean, and hides the dirt more than black. I personally would go for white between those two choices.
Old 06-18-14, 07:16 AM
goshawk823
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I end up with pearl white, and was considering obsidian before I got the car. My wife's Venza is black; I have to maintain it, and I decided maintaining two black vehicles was too big a pain in the ***.
My Camaro was white, as were several other cars I owned. White always looks classy, IMHO.