IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Maybe a RWD 3IS Wasn't Such a Good Idea!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 09:21 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maybe a RWD 3IS Wasn't Such a Good Idea!!!!

So another snow storm is hitting the northeast coast, anywhere from 8-12 inches.I reside In the DC metro area. This evening my wife and I decided to head to the grocery store even though there was only an inch on the ground. On our way home we hit one hill and I was surprised how bad the traction was, or actually lack there of. We were sliding all over and were barely moving a couple times. Once we finally got to our townhouse, I could barely make it pass our driveway curb and in to my small incline driveway. Once actually on the driveway, had to stop to let my wife out the car (garage is only big enough for one side to open the door once parked). Then I proceeded to pull the the car in the garage but couldn't move!!!! Had to put some salt on the ground to gain some traction and get moving.

Wondering if anyone in the area is having similar bad experiences or if other RWD owners in general has had the same issues? Maybe I should have gotten the AWD instead, but I figure there would be only a week or two most each yr of snow. The other 50 weeks would be full of decent weather to drive in, plus I didn't want to give up the 8speed auto. But man today was the first time I really regretted getting the RWD, instead of AWD.

Last edited by AdvanSLF; 02-12-14 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 09:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Is that with the stock summer tires or something else?
Old 02-12-14, 09:23 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

One question will make this thread relevant or not : winter tires?
Old 02-12-14, 09:47 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself Michelin X-Ice Xi3s and you will be good for the winter. I have these and no issues what so ever so far but I haven't had to drive through deep snow yet.
Old 02-12-14, 09:48 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

I'm still running stock summers. Seriously considering getting some blizzaks but I don't know if that will even make a difference or not considering the RWD drivetrain? If anyone has experience with the winter tires let me know.
Old 02-12-14, 09:59 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

As stated I have Micheline X-Ice Xi3 winter tires and these are great. They are one of the best rated winter tires on tirerack.com. Performs well in all road conditions with great comfort and low noise.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=true&filter=y
Old 02-12-14, 10:30 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Looking into those tires now. What size did you get Sony? I see they have the fronts, 225/40/18, but no rears available at 255/35/18 (factory specs).

Maybe I should do 225/50/18 fronts and 255/45/18 rears? Wonder if the extra 10mm on the sidewall will create rubbing issues?
Old 02-12-14, 10:42 PM
zabone
Rookie

lol you can't blame the car... you're driving with summer tires which are pretty much useless below 40F... get all seasons or winters and you'll see great improvement.
Old 02-12-14, 10:43 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

LOL I live in the NY Metro Area and my daily came with P-Zero summers.

Blizzaks.
Old 02-12-14, 10:50 PM
calebc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RWD will never be as good as AWD for traction, but Winter tires (blizzaks are my vote) will go a LONG way. However, if it's really only a couple weeks a year, it's not worth spending the money on winter tires for that. Just know your limitations and avoid going out on those few days...who wants to go out in the cold anyways
Old 02-12-14, 11:31 PM
jdot85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading your story, you and your wife should feel lucky that you guys made it home safely. I would absolutely never drive on summer tires even if there was just 1 cm of snow on the road. The compound used in summer tires are too soft and the rubber hardens up below 40F. Combine this with snow and you have a recipe for disaster. Since you guys only see 1 or 2 days of snow throughout the entire year, I would recommend getting a set of all season tires at least to safely get around during winter. You'll notice the difference in grip immediately with all seasons and even greater traction and shorter stopping distance with winter tires. AWD surely provides better grip during acceleration but a vehicle equipped with summer tires will stop the same regardless if its AWD, RWD, FWD, etc. Please drive safely!
Old 02-12-14, 11:36 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jdot85
After reading your story, you and your wife should feel lucky that you guys made it home safely. I would absolutely never drive on summer tires even if there was just 1 cm of snow on the road. The compound used in summer tires are too soft and the rubber hardens up below 40F. Combine this with snow and you have a recipe for disaster. Since you guys only see 1 or 2 days of snow throughout the entire year, I would recommend getting a set of all season tires at least to safely get around during winter. You'll notice the difference in grip immediately with all seasons and even greater traction and shorter stopping distance with winter tires. AWD surely provides better grip during acceleration but a vehicle equipped with summer tires will stop the same regardless if its AWD, RWD, FWD, etc. Please drive safely!
yeah your tire choice is going to play a HUGE factor in that whole scenario. summer tires in snowy conditions, youre basically ice skating at that point
Old 02-13-14, 03:55 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with 235/40/18 on all four corners with my factory F-Sport rims (RWD) - fits perfect imo.
Old 02-13-14, 04:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont blame the drivetrain, people change to snow tires in the winter for a reason
Old 02-13-14, 05:05 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
So another snow storm is hitting the northeast coast, anywhere from 8-12 inches.I reside In the DC metro area. This evening my wife and I decided to head to the grocery store even though there was only an inch on the ground. On our way home we hit one hill and I was surprised how bad the traction was, or actually lack there of. We were sliding all over and were barely moving a couple times. Once we finally got to our townhouse, I could barely make it pass our driveway curb and in to my small incline driveway. Once actually on the driveway, had to stop to let my wife out the car (garage is only big enough for one side to open the door once parked). Then I proceeded to pull the the car in the garage but couldn't move!!!! Had to put some salt on the ground to gain some traction and get moving.

Wondering if anyone in the area is having similar bad experiences or if other RWD owners in general has had the same issues? Maybe I should have gotten the AWD instead, but I figure there would be only a week or two most each yr of snow. The other 50 weeks would be full of decent weather to drive in, plus I didn't want to give up the 8speed auto. But man today was the first time I really regretted getting the RWD, instead of AWD.
Cars aren't bad in snow, tires are bad in snow (in this case, summer tires in winter). The main reason AWD does anything, is because they typically come with all-season tires, which are better but not great.

I've been caught in the slightest bit of snow while on summers and it's very bad. Do yourself a favor and invest in winter tires, and if possible, a cheap set of wheels to mount them once you've hit consistent 40 F and below.

I'm in neighboring MD and I've been driving my F year round with proper tires and I've had no problems related to traction. Tires are the ONLY part of the car touching the road, don't overlook them.

Quick Reply: Maybe a RWD 3IS Wasn't Such a Good Idea!!!!