IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

I think the stock headlamps aren't bright enough?

Old 01-06-14, 11:46 PM
jdot85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a HID projector retrofit a few years ago and the TL projectors from that generation actually have the brightest and widest beam pattern compared to any other vehicle's OEM projectors.
Old 01-07-14, 12:41 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can't see with these headlights, HID or LEDs, maybe you shouldn't even be driving at night
Old 01-07-14, 04:07 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the LED headlights are fine! But I did notice as with my other 3 Lexus vehicles they are aimed just a little too low. On my 2007 IS and 2008 GS both from the factory weren't in spec according to the official Lexus service manual.
My 2013 GS was only slightly too low
I have not adjusted the IS headlights yet but if you can park your car 25 feet from a wall the center slanted section of the beam pattern should be 1 inch lower than the measured height of the light itself.

If you look carefully there is a small circle at the center of the lens on each high and low beams.

Measure from the ground to this point

Then on your wall 25 feet away place a piece of tape 1 inch lower than this measurement
Your beam pattern should look like this
__________/------------ ________/-------

(Had to use a - sign because there is no character with a line at the top) but you get the idea
But the part in the center of the slanted part is the center of the beam
This should be 1 inch lower than the circle you measured at the lens at 25 feet.
Also the slant should be the same width as the lights at the car. If they are, it means your headlights are pointing straight ahead

If you get the lights adjusted correctly you'll find the coverage is very adequate
Old 01-07-14, 05:15 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
I think the LED headlights are fine! But I did notice as with my other 3 Lexus vehicles they are aimed just a little too low. On my 2007 IS and 2008 GS both from the factory weren't in spec according to the official Lexus service manual.
My 2013 GS was only slightly too low
I have not adjusted the IS headlights yet but if you can park your car 25 feet from a wall the center slanted section of the beam pattern should be 1 inch lower than the measured height of the light itself.

If you look carefully there is a small circle at the center of the lens on each high and low beams.

Measure from the ground to this point

Then on your wall 25 feet away place a piece of tape 1 inch lower than this measurement
Your beam pattern should look like this
__________/------------ ________/-------

(Had to use a - sign because there is no character with a line at the top) but you get the idea
But the part in the center of the slanted part is the center of the beam
This should be 1 inch lower than the circle you measured at the lens at 25 feet.
Also the slant should be the same width as the lights at the car. If they are, it means your headlights are pointing straight ahead

If you get the lights adjusted correctly you'll find the coverage is very adequate
How do you adjust the aim of the LED headlights?

To the other forum member who said he had hit a few potholes, I too hit a few in the evening because of the headlights issue I'm experiencing.
Old 01-07-14, 06:52 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
How do you adjust the aim of the LED headlights?

To the other forum member who said he had hit a few potholes, I too hit a few in the evening because of the headlights issue I'm experiencing.
Theres a hole in the middle-rear of the headlight where you just put a long screwdriver into and turn.
Old 01-07-14, 08:39 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If both headlights are no longer level then you'll need to have a friend's car to help you out. best time to do it is around sunset. have your friend put on their lights against a wall about 12-20 ft away. use some painters tape or any colored tap to outline the projector cutoff. then move your car to where his was positioned, put your lights on, and adjust accordingly so that you meet the tape. best option is to do it with both you and your friend having the same car. obviously your lighting level could deviate a bit if your friend had a different car or if there ride was lowered or not.
Old 01-07-14, 09:33 AM
waxy
Pole Position

If I can see white on a black paved road, it's bright enough for me.

You can always tap the high beans to do a quick check ahead of the road.
I usually do that, when driving home on 280, where deer, coyotes and even mountain lions are found on the road.
I've encountered them several times and would hate to hit a 800 pound animal.
Old 01-07-14, 01:39 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by waxy
If I can see white on a black paved road, it's bright enough for me. You can always tap the high beans to do a quick check ahead of the road. I usually do that, when driving home on 280, where deer, coyotes and even mountain lions are found on the road. I've encountered them several times and would hate to hit a 800 pound animal.
Man that's rough. I just have to watch out for the occasional iguana lol.
Old 01-07-14, 01:54 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yardie876
Man that's rough. I just have to watch out for the occasional iguana lol.
I'm not a big fan of hitting animals on the road, I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Latest Information regarding a 200 lb mountain lion being hit by a car.
Compared to a 800lb + Male Adult Deer.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...216458251.html

You do see animal remains on the road here and there, but many people collect them to eat if it's still fresh.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Mr. and Mrs. Sasquatch.
Old 01-07-14, 03:25 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I have yet to see the 3IS headlights in person on a road at night. However, my RX350 retrofit with CBI bulbs is unmatched for width and depth. It's a fine balance between the 2. It's pretty epic. And I also agree with Hoovey. Anything is better than halogen!