Print Wikipost

DIY radar detector and Blackvue camera installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 11:25 AM
HumanMale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
its your evidence, you can decide to disclose if any or part of it exists depending on your situation, you can also remove the sound if you like.
I don't know about the US, but here in Canada, you are required to produce ALL documents and records in your possession or control if a case goes to litigation. If the other side believes you may be withholding certain key evidence (i.e. they somehow find out you have a camera), and if you do not produce any video evidence in your defense/prosecution of the case, then they may very well draw an adverse inference against you at best, or at worst, issue you an order for disclosure of video evidence.

Cameras are a double-edged sword in that respect. Best favour (Please forgive the Canadian spelling to my American friends!) you can do yourself is to be a good driver and stick to speed limits, Highway Traffic Act rules (and equivalent US legislation), and if something bad happens, you have no problem or fears of disclosing your video evidence.

I just ordered my Blackvue 2-Ch with Powermagic Pro and can't wait to use Bass Mech's install guide on my LS460. I'm guessing there are differences, but the ideas he presents are simple enough, and I have already removed my A-pillar once (which was very easy), so doing it again, along with the other trim pieces shouldn't be that difficult ... should it?
Old 07-17-14, 04:36 PM
vgsison
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting read about the diy installation of the device. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-05-15, 10:20 AM
dnwin
Driver School Candidate

Power Magic pro for IS250, driver side fuse box was limited.. I'm curious if anyone has a similar car. I installed it and it worked. I believe i must have put it in the wrong fuse because the battery is now drained. I set the setup to shut off at 23 volts. But It drained the battery dry.
Old 01-06-15, 08:47 PM
dnwin
Driver School Candidate

nobodee? any one with and 08 is250 install the pwoer magic pro? which fuses did you connect it with?
Old 03-31-15, 06:01 AM
mingkwong
Driver School Candidate

I have a DR750 installed few weeks ago, I found that the parking mode did not work for the most of the time i.e. when I shut down the car the cam will also shut down immediately. I have tried to set it cut off at 11.8v or 12v and work for 12 hours. It only works occasionally but for sure not as long as 12 hours. After the parking mode worked once for 1-2 hrs, it won't work again even after I run the car for 20-30km. but after normal use the car for few days, the parking code will work once again. Is it normal?
I don't tend to think this is the wire problem because it has ever worked. I just wonder if the battery of my car is not strong enough to support the parking mode?
Any one experienced a similar issue?

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i agree with ^^^
but a few things to look for. if you mounted the front cam where i did, you probably cannot see the front cam from the drivers seat. so you need to verify if the front cam is on and the rear is off. if that is the case you may have a defective camera setup.
if both cams are off (much more likely) then either your time has expired or your battery voltage has fallen below the voltage threshold.

i have a 3 mile commute myself to work each day. and i can tell you that the battery will not hold enough charge to power the camera for a full 12 hours. you probably need to drive for at least an hour to get enough charge to cover the 12 hours or 8 if thats how its programmed.
Old 03-31-15, 06:08 AM
whoweedo
Driver School Candidate

i should just pay you to wired mine up lol....too lazy. im in houston as well
Old 04-02-15, 06:16 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HumanMale
I don't know about the US, but here in Canada, you are required to produce ALL documents and records in your possession or control if a case goes to litigation. If the other side believes you may be withholding certain key evidence (i.e. they somehow find out you have a camera), and if you do not produce any video evidence in your defense/prosecution of the case, then they may very well draw an adverse inference against you at best, or at worst, issue you an order for disclosure of video evidence.

Cameras are a double-edged sword in that respect. Best favour (Please forgive the Canadian spelling to my American friends!) you can do yourself is to be a good driver and stick to speed limits, Highway Traffic Act rules (and equivalent US legislation), and if something bad happens, you have no problem or fears of disclosing your video evidence.

I just ordered my Blackvue 2-Ch with Powermagic Pro and can't wait to use Bass Mech's install guide on my LS460. I'm guessing there are differences, but the ideas he presents are simple enough, and I have already removed my A-pillar once (which was very easy), so doing it again, along with the other trim pieces shouldn't be that difficult ... should it?
it should be a similar process. i just installed the cameras and radar detector in my new cadillac CTS V sport twin turbo i traded my POS IS 350 in for.
except my fusebox is on the side of the dash and much easier to get access to.
Old 04-11-15, 10:56 PM
y2kfrost
Driver School Candidate

Awesome install. I decided to go with the BlackVue 650 and the cellink battery. Had it professionally installed since I did not have the heart to play with the Lexus wires. I did not have to use the MagicPro since I have a Relay installed in my car to prevent the Cellink from drawing power from the main battery when the vehicle is not running. All wires and battery pack was hidden in the driver side dash under the steering wheel.

Below are some pics that I took today when I picked up my car.

Old 04-13-15, 09:10 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 824 Likes on 403 Posts

Thanks for the write-up! Just rewired my Itronic DashCam yesterday! Everything went smooth except the damn low-profile mini fuses... Since I used some Mini Add-a-fuse, I can't put the fuse box cover on... Oh well...
Old 07-06-15, 07:04 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

subscribed for later use
Old 10-29-17, 04:19 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks so much for this write up. I just installed my DR650 today and it was extremely easy following your directions.
Old 01-17-18, 02:06 PM
wycy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where to get a ring terminal like the one in the OP that is large enough to go around that screw but also appropriate for small gauge wire?

Old 01-18-18, 08:54 AM
AJU72
Rookie

OP or anyone else that would know. Does the location of your radar detector cause any obstruction being so close to the A-Pillar? I just want to max out radar detection
Old 04-28-18, 03:33 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you get the wire inside the pillar between the front and rear door? That slot is really taught and I can’t get it in. Also, where do you hide excessive cable? I started the rear cam cable from the front and now have a lot of excessive wire in the back.

Last edited by vital; 04-28-18 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 01:16 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

In case nobody's mentioned it, Always make sure the wire runs behind and away from the airbag. you don't want to interfere in its operation. An airbag will likely be powerful enough to rip right through it but i'm not sure that's a theory you want to test. The slighest delay in deployment, even in milliseconds, will have significant impact on airbag efficacy.

Quick Reply: DIY radar detector and Blackvue camera installation