IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

** DO NOT go to PUTNAM LEXUS to buy your 3IS or any Lexus for that matter **

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-13, 01:28 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** DO NOT go to PUTNAM LEXUS to buy your 3IS or any Lexus for that matter **

My review on yelp...

A long read, but definitely worth it if you are in the market for a Lexus in the bay area... my experience with the 3IS that I was supposed to pickup today...

=================
http://www.yelp.com/biz/putnam-lexus...PZevcqkiUfcA0Q

DO NOT COME HERE if you want good, prompt customer service and a dealership that cares about YOU as a customer. It's funny, because I was referred directly from a relative of Putnam Lexus so I was expecting good customer service. I was WRONG. I wish I could give 0 stars

This review is strictly for the Sales Manager (Rick Santos) and the GM, Mark Putnam (not so much for Robert Garcia as he tried his best in his power to accomodate).

I placed an order for an IS350 FSport from Putnam Lexus early October. The configuration was Ultra White with Rioja Red interior. As a car enthusiast, I did a lot of my own research prior to find competitive dealer prices to bring to the table to compare. They found the car for me and it would be a 5 week wait, but was excited nonetheless. Unfortunately all that excitement ended when price comparisons from other dealers came into play.

I was trying to get a finalized price on the vehicle (comparing other deals), which was the next logical step after finding the car. I wrote several emails to Rick. No response. I felt ignored and simple information I needed such as finalized Money Factor, use of Multiple Security Deposits, finalized monthly payment was not answered. Finally over a week of waiting and multiple inquiries, I finally received the information and an agreed price. Rick was the one I directed the email to, and as a sales manager who has the authority to set all the details of the price, he ignored my inquiries. I had to contact Robert instead.

What kind of dealership leaves a customer hanging? It gets worse..

At the beginning of the transaction, I specifically emailed Robert 3 times specifying I didn't want a license plate screwed onto the front bumper. He came back to me PROMISING me and ASSURING it wouldn't be put on. (I have the email trails to prove).

When I arrived today to pick up the car(after 5 weeks), I notice the front license plate screwed in and the car was not detailed. Robert shows me the note he put on the dash of the car. So why was that done to the car I waited so long for without anyone telling me? Rick tells me that's "policy" and that the GM overrided the note on the dash which stated "Customer requests not to put on front plate".
After dealing with waiting and ignoring ordeal, this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. No one deserves this sort of service. I waited to talk with the GM thinking he would work with me. I was wrong again. He comes in to tell me its policy and these notes don't matter.

1. What happened to informing your salesmen about your "policy"? If its your policy, why didn't your salesmen know about it? FAIL
2. Why did you not contact me first to inform me about your policy before doing something I was promised would not be done. Another FAIL.
3. What happened to waiver signage others offer?

Rick's comment - "How about you pay for the bumper yourself and we will install it for free before you take it?" Is that a joke? So it is against policy, but if I pay to fix it myself then it is no longer policy?

Then the kicker - the GM says "I am not going to risk my business establishment over the license plate" Who is asking you to risk anything? All I was asking for was some communication to inform me on the policy before I WASTED my 5 weeks of waiting for the car and in the end having something I specifically requested 3 times and promised, overridden at the last minute the day I come to pick up the car.

Verbatim from the GM - "You can do whatever you want with the car after you buy it, why don't you patch the holes up yourself?" And worse "I don't mind if you don't buy the car or not today". Ridiculous, I waited 5 weeks for the car. Lexus customer satisfaction? What a DISGRACE to the brand.

There could have been many other ways this could have been handled. Here's a suggestion: "I'm sorry about the miscommunication. I know you have waited a long time for the car, let's try to work this out, it's my fault for not communicating this to my staff and to you the customer."

The grille itself for them to replace cost $192 and they couldn't even take care of that to accomodate. After that shocking statement from the GM, I walked out with my wife and son and didn't look back.

I was willing to try and work something out but after he had the audacity to say he didnt care if I didnt buy the car or not, that was the most disrespectful thing I've heard ever in all my experience dealing with car sales.

Well that $192 and disrespectful attitude cost you this yelp review, a letter to Lexus Corporate, posts on Bay Area Lexus Forums, social media as well as communication with my professional work colleagues.

I will end up getting my car from another dealership but this review will speak volumes. Remember, I came in as a referral of a Putnam family member. Scared to think if I was a normal Joe off the street.
Old 11-16-13, 05:47 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlude
My review on yelp...

A long read, but definitely worth it if you are in the market for a Lexus in the bay area... my experience with the 3IS that I was supposed to pickup today...

=================
http://www.yelp.com/biz/putnam-lexus...PZevcqkiUfcA0Q

DO NOT COME HERE if you want good, prompt customer service and a dealership that cares about YOU as a customer. It's funny, because I was referred directly from a relative of Putnam Lexus so I was expecting good customer service. I was WRONG. I wish I could give 0 stars

This review is strictly for the Sales Manager (Rick Santos) and the GM, Mark Putnam (not so much for Robert Garcia as he tried his best in his power to accomodate).

I placed an order for an IS350 FSport from Putnam Lexus early October. The configuration was Ultra White with Rioja Red interior. As a car enthusiast, I did a lot of my own research prior to find competitive dealer prices to bring to the table to compare. They found the car for me and it would be a 5 week wait, but was excited nonetheless. Unfortunately all that excitement ended when price comparisons from other dealers came into play.

I was trying to get a finalized price on the vehicle (comparing other deals), which was the next logical step after finding the car. I wrote several emails to Rick. No response. I felt ignored and simple information I needed such as finalized Money Factor, use of Multiple Security Deposits, finalized monthly payment was not answered. Finally over a week of waiting and multiple inquiries, I finally received the information and an agreed price. Rick was the one I directed the email to, and as a sales manager who has the authority to set all the details of the price, he ignored my inquiries. I had to contact Robert instead.

What kind of dealership leaves a customer hanging? It gets worse..

At the beginning of the transaction, I specifically emailed Robert 3 times specifying I didn't want a license plate screwed onto the front bumper. He came back to me PROMISING me and ASSURING it wouldn't be put on. (I have the email trails to prove).

When I arrived today to pick up the car(after 5 weeks), I notice the front license plate screwed in and the car was not detailed. Robert shows me the note he put on the dash of the car. So why was that done to the car I waited so long for without anyone telling me? Rick tells me that's "policy" and that the GM overrided the note on the dash which stated "Customer requests not to put on front plate".
After dealing with waiting and ignoring ordeal, this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. No one deserves this sort of service. I waited to talk with the GM thinking he would work with me. I was wrong again. He comes in to tell me its policy and these notes don't matter.

1. What happened to informing your salesmen about your "policy"? If its your policy, why didn't your salesmen know about it? FAIL
2. Why did you not contact me first to inform me about your policy before doing something I was promised would not be done. Another FAIL.
3. What happened to waiver signage others offer?

Rick's comment - "How about you pay for the bumper yourself and we will install it for free before you take it?" Is that a joke? So it is against policy, but if I pay to fix it myself then it is no longer policy?

Then the kicker - the GM says "I am not going to risk my business establishment over the license plate" Who is asking you to risk anything? All I was asking for was some communication to inform me on the policy before I WASTED my 5 weeks of waiting for the car and in the end having something I specifically requested 3 times and promised, overridden at the last minute the day I come to pick up the car.

Verbatim from the GM - "You can do whatever you want with the car after you buy it, why don't you patch the holes up yourself?" And worse "I don't mind if you don't buy the car or not today". Ridiculous, I waited 5 weeks for the car. Lexus customer satisfaction? What a DISGRACE to the brand.

There could have been many other ways this could have been handled. Here's a suggestion: "I'm sorry about the miscommunication. I know you have waited a long time for the car, let's try to work this out, it's my fault for not communicating this to my staff and to you the customer."

The grille itself for them to replace cost $192 and they couldn't even take care of that to accomodate. After that shocking statement from the GM, I walked out with my wife and son and didn't look back.

I was willing to try and work something out but after he had the audacity to say he didnt care if I didnt buy the car or not, that was the most disrespectful thing I've heard ever in all my experience dealing with car sales.

Well that $192 and disrespectful attitude cost you this yelp review, a letter to Lexus Corporate, posts on Bay Area Lexus Forums, social media as well as communication with my professional work colleagues.

I will end up getting my car from another dealership but this review will speak volumes. Remember, I came in as a referral of a Putnam family member. Scared to think if I was a normal Joe off the street.
sorry to hear about this, but i do know where you can get a smoking deal on 1 of 2 cars i think exactly like the one you waited for.
here in denver colorado there are 2 white with red interior, fully equipped IS 350 RWD F sport including mark lev, nav, PCS, BSM and auto dimming side mirrors (which i have not seen on any other car with F sport package.)
they were corporate demos originally from california they have about 3,000 miles on them and the dealership is willing to negotiate.
not too many buyers in colorado looking for a RWD
if your interested let me know via PM and ill hook you up with the right info.

P.S. front LP are required here in colorado and my salesperson has said several times, asking me in fact if i would be willing to NOT install the front plate because it looks so ugly!
dealership will not loose their business over lack of a front plate! thats crazy!

Last edited by Bass Mech; 11-16-13 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 05:59 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry to here about your experience but glad to see someone "walk" because of holes drilled in the front bumper. I always tell the saleman that I will do just that and have never had a problem.
And yes, if they had just told about the "policy" up front you could have taken your business somewhere else right away and not wasted your time.

Dave Mac
Old 11-16-13, 06:10 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strange that the dealer would say they are liable if the eventual owner of the car does not have the front plate holder. All they should be liable for is providing you with one. Even if it is in the trunk. Once you take delivery, it is up to you to keep the vehicle legal. Glad you stood your ground. Plenty of other Lexus dealerships and cars out there. Unfortunately you had to waste time with these guys. Good luck.
Old 11-16-13, 06:49 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Thank you for exposing them. We need reviews like these!
Old 11-16-13, 07:01 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Where this dealer failed miserably is in meeting customer expectations. Alexlude, it was clear you set those early on, yet they failed to communicate with you there and then regarding the inability to meet those needs (i.e. no license plate install), and worse, once the "damage" was done, there was zero ownership of the issue on their part, making you feel as the culprit. WOW. Being in a role where customer service is critical to the success of any business, your unfortunate situation irritates me incredibly. You did well to post the review and escalate to Corporate since this is not what Lexus stands for.

Here's my real world experience on my car, similar to yours, but my bad experience turned out better than my expectation: when I picked up my car, my dealer did not have the window tints on. I was very disappointed since we had several communications prior assuring me the tints would be on at time of delivery . It was in effect, part of the contract and part of my lease payment. However, in the true Lexus customer service fashion, in anticipation of this, my sales associate, his boss, and the Sales manager met with me as soon as I walked in the dealer to break the bad news. Then, they not only took full accountability and ownership of the issue and apologized profusely to me, they waived the entire $700 cost or 15$ reduction in my monthly lease, and got me the tints free of charge installed next day. They even said they would have the installers come to my house, whatever was convenient to me. I didn't mind coming back to the dealer after knowing how well taken care of I was so I got it done next day at the dealer and all was well. That's stellar service - at Erinpark Lexus in the Toronto area, which is why I've bought four cars there and more to come (NX likely

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-16-13 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 07:08 AM
KaShiDC
Rookie

Congrats to you on sticking to your guns. The dealer was counting on your folding and just accepting the car. We need more instances where consumers stick together and demand basic customer service so we all receive an appropriate level of service.

Off topic but did you hear about the blind gentleman this week with the seeing eye dog that became restless after hours of sitting on a runway. (After the airline held them to board last and gave the man a seat that did not have a seat in front of him for the dog to sit with him?) When the stewardess forced him to leave because the dog wanted to be near him, EVERY PASSENGER demanded he be accommodated and left the plane with him when he was forced to exit and the flight was cancelled. I bet that airline re-evaluates their service.

It is unfortunate that the consumer has to set the demand for level of service. The dealer should have willingly paid the full cost to return the vehicle to the condition you specified. I refuse to drive a car with a dealer sticker. (A license frame holder is fine) and I have walked out on closing a deal in the past because a sticker was placed on the car after I made this clear.
Old 11-16-13, 08:20 AM
antonyw
Driver School Candidate

Bummer on the bad experience... Stevens Creek was awesome when I lucked out and got a UW/rioja that arrived later on the day I decided to buy a car off the lot. The salesman said the mounting plate is in the trunk and said they'll mount it whenever I want, just bring it back in. Had a no haggle experience on the price as well, they matched the best price I'd found on the interwebs. This saved me a drive to LA pick up a UW/R. I'd highly recommend Stevens Creek to anyone in the bay area.
Old 11-16-13, 09:00 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Thanks all for your feedback. Definitely other consumers need to know about "businesses" like these before going into it and investing both time and money. Being in sales long ago, Customers may not always be right, but in this situation my requests were not extraordinary and the way the situation was handled was the thing that irked me.

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
sorry to hear about this, but i do know where you can get a smoking deal on 1 of 2 cars i think exactly like the one you waited for.

P.S. front LP are required here in colorado and my salesperson has said several times, asking me in fact if i would be willing to NOT install the front plate because it looks so ugly!
dealership will not loose their business over lack of a front plate! thats crazy!
Thanks man, but looking for a brand new one with < 10 miles. Thanks for your info, though! About the plate.. that's what i hear.. what about the optional waivers.

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Sorry to here about your experience but glad to see someone "walk" because of holes drilled in the front bumper. I always tell the saleman that I will do just that and have never had a problem.
And yes, if they had just told about the "policy" up front you could have taken your business somewhere else right away and not wasted your time.

Dave Mac
The license plate was actually the small part of it.. it was the principle of them not honoring my request, no communication, and the way it was handled in the end.. Ridic

Originally Posted by moose66
Strange that the dealer would say they are liable if the eventual owner of the car does not have the front plate holder. All they should be liable for is providing you with one. Even if it is in the trunk. Once you take delivery, it is up to you to keep the vehicle legal. Glad you stood your ground. Plenty of other Lexus dealerships and cars out there. Unfortunately you had to waste time with these guys. Good luck.
Seriously, he basically disregarded my request and the note from his salesman. What happened to 100% Customer satisfaction?

Originally Posted by eyeball
Thank you for exposing them. We need reviews like these!
I really didnt want it to come to this but this is what other consumers should know when making such a purchase.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Where this dealer failed miserably is in meeting customer expectations. Alexlude, it was clear you set those early on, yet they failed to communicate with you there and then regarding the inability to meet those needs (i.e. no license plate install), and worse, once the "damage" was done, there was zero ownership of the issue on their part, making you feel as the culprit. WOW. Being in a role where customer service is critical to the success of any business, your unfortunate situation irritates me incredibly. You did well to post the review and escalate to Corporate since this is not what Lexus stands for.

Here's my real world experience on my car, similar to yours, but my bad experience turned out better than my expectation: when I picked up my car, my dealer did not have the window tints on. I was very disappointed since we had several communications prior assuring me the tints would be on at time of delivery . It was in effect, part of the contract and part of my lease payment. However, in the true Lexus customer service fashion, in anticipation of this, my sales associate, his boss, and the Sales manager met with me as soon as I walked in the dealer to break the bad news. Then, they not only took full accountability and ownership of the issue and apologized profusely to me, they waived the entire $700 cost or 15$ reduction in my monthly lease, and got me the tints free of charge installed next day. They even said they would have the installers come to my house, whatever was convenient to me. I didn't mind coming back to the dealer after knowing how well taken care of I was so I got it done next day at the dealer and all was well. That's stellar service - at Erinpark Lexus in the Toronto area, which is why I've bought four cars there and more to come (NX likely
Congrats on your positive outcome, that is definitely how a brand like LEXUS should handle a situation like this. This could have easily been remedied to work something out. This is how a luxury brand should handle situations!

Originally Posted by KaShiDC
Congrats to you on sticking to your guns. The dealer was counting on your folding and just accepting the car. We need more instances where consumers stick together and demand basic customer service so we all receive an appropriate level of service.

It is unfortunate that the consumer has to set the demand for level of service. The dealer should have willingly paid the full cost to return the vehicle to the condition you specified. I refuse to drive a car with a dealer sticker. (A license frame holder is fine) and I have walked out on closing a deal in the past because a sticker was placed on the car after I made this clear.
Definitely agree!!

Originally Posted by antonyw
Bummer on the bad experience... Stevens Creek was awesome when I lucked out and got a UW/rioja that arrived later on the day I decided to buy a car off the lot. The salesman said the mounting plate is in the trunk and said they'll mount it whenever I want, just bring it back in. Had a no haggle experience on the price as well, they matched the best price I'd found on the interwebs. This saved me a drive to LA pick up a UW/R. I'd highly recommend Stevens Creek to anyone in the bay area.
I originally started there and wanted to get a car from Paul Georges of Stevens creek, but they didnt have cars with VGRS and did not know time frame of when one would be coming in. Otherwise would have went there because that is where I originally got my first test drive!!
Old 11-16-13, 09:03 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

I'm glad you named names!
Old 11-16-13, 09:50 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I bought mine from same dealer but not from the same sales man. My experience was very good overall except I did not like their crappy car wash that ruined my paint from tire dressing. Sales man did take car of my problem and was fixed. Sorry to hear about your experience, but Putnam came on top in terms of giving discount when I was comparing around in the Bay Area.
Old 11-16-13, 09:58 AM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Agreed I got a great price when all was said and done. It was the process to get there and the final thing in the end which left me pissed. Especially it coming from the GM. Wasn't going to give them the business just for the principle of things.

It wasn't the salesman fault as he did his due diligence honoring my request.

The fault resided directly on the GM. all I was asking for was upfront communication and resolve.
Old 11-16-13, 11:33 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexlude
Agreed I got a great price when all was said and done. It was the process to get there and the final thing in the end which left me pissed. Especially it coming from the GM. Wasn't going to give them the business just for the principle of things. It wasn't the salesman fault as he did his due diligence honoring my request. The fault resided directly on the GM. all I was asking for was upfront communication and resolve.
Now you can go to Longo and get 6k off!
Old 11-16-13, 12:54 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Putnam generally sucks overall. I stopped going to them after they started trying to "up-sell" their service items. If you refused to buy these items, they would write in your service history "Customer refused dealer recommended service". Even though I followed the "Manufacturer recommended service" as specified by Lexus. I should have reported them to the BBB for questionable business practices.
Old 11-16-13, 01:14 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear. Customer service is king. I deal with vendors a lot and spend tens of thousands of dollars with them where I work. Even the biggest mfrs think they can get away with poor service because they have us locked in. But word of mouth goes a long way and they eventually wise up.

I ordered my car through them. Different sales person. And will be picking it up in Dec. I don't have too many expectations and hope to walk in, pay on the agreed price and leave with the car. I don't care if my price isn't the lowest as long as it is fair and am happy with it. If they try to get me to pay more, then they will have a problem and I will walk because i know there are better deals out there.

Good luck in finding your next car.

Quick Reply: ** DO NOT go to PUTNAM LEXUS to buy your 3IS or any Lexus for that matter **