IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

"Third time is a charm" -- great 3IS article/review

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 05:18 AM
IS350AWD
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
For an F-Sport IS350 nearing $50K, there is no excuse for the quality of the plastic steering wheel control bezels. 3 Grand more nets me a base GS which has fine quality cabin materials. And any pricing advantage Lexus has over competitors should be put back into the car with materials and features. Up in price solidifies Lexus's Tier 1 status and forces other automakers to follow suit. We have the bean counters to thank for all this :/

No it's not any of the above you mentioned, but it's still a "Luxury" badge and some of the cabin material choices are the same grade as my 2003 Explorer. That is not acceptable even if it is "entry level".

You're confusing my topic of "Materials used" with "Build quality aka assembly".

Well any marketing department will doctor up photos to make the car look more appealing. It's like make-up hiding blemishes which are overlooked because the 3IS has a superior riding chassis.

Because the GS is physically bigger and people will always find a need or want. If Lexus was smart they'd expand the powertrain options quickly.

It didn't wear well because it was the second of the L-Finesse beginning which suffered many quality issues 2006 - 2010. Material quality though was good. Build quality (assembly) is better on the 3IS however

They're all cheap but that doesn't excuse automakers and bean counters to get away with that
Finally, someone who sees what the 3IS REALLY is and not falling in the trap to love it just because it's a new model!

I say again, the 3IS is better than 2IS in handling. But, it stops there. Options lost, interior downgrade (did you see the pictures above?), loss of touchscreen and now you're fooling around with a mouse. Come on Lexus. Why do you want a upside-down staircase as your center console too?

The 2IS is superior OVERALL even though the 3IS beats it in handling. Otherwise, it's not even a new engine (as we all know). Heck, add the sway bars on the 2IS and you have a "standard" 3IS.

Lexus compromised the 3IS in important areas to get the handling close or at a 3-series and A4. Have you seen the 3-series interior? It's absolute crap, with the navigation screen seemingly glued on to the dash. Lexus is chasing the wrong dog...

LIke Hoovey said, all these luxury makers shouldn't get away with this.
Old 09-25-13, 06:20 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Both of you are free to choose any other car you want, including the 2IS.
Old 09-25-13, 06:24 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

so who here actually has test driven one to truly comment? I found the 3IS to be a big step up interior wise than the 2IS when I test drove it.
Old 09-25-13, 08:12 AM
IS350AWD
Driver

Originally Posted by jhs82
Both of you are free to choose any other car you want, including the 2IS.
Thank you, that's exactly what I did.
Old 09-25-13, 08:14 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Add sway bars to a 2IS and you have a 3IS but nicer??? lol I drove the 2IS for 3 days as a loaner. I could not stand the dated interior. The touch screen is small and has etch-a-sketch graphics that the sun hits at the wrong time. The ventilation dials added as an after thought look crude and feel cheap. Yards of black vinyl stretching like the plains of Kansas on the dash. A ride that is Korean like. Man, keep the 2IS. It looks dated on the road already.

Last edited by Glashub; 09-25-13 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-25-13, 08:25 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350AWD
Thank you, that's exactly what I did.
So why do you whine so much about the 3IS? It's not your car, so why do you even bother? Keep to the 2IS forum and be happy.
Old 09-25-13, 08:38 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

So why do you whine so much about the 3IS? It's not your car, so why do you even bother? Keep to the 2IS forum and be happy.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-25-13, 08:53 AM
eyeball
Lead Lap

when i had my windows tinted last week, i was given a 2013 2IS courtesy vehicle. man, i could not wait to get my own car back!

Last edited by eyeball; 09-25-13 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-25-13, 09:01 AM
IS350AWD
Driver

Originally Posted by natnut

My thoughts exactly.
I chuckle.

Because I'm trying to see what all the hype is about. Like every one says, to each their own. Everything is my opinion. No need to get all hurtful about it.
Old 09-25-13, 09:09 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not hurt. I don't even have an IS and I'm actually leaning towards getting a second-hand 4th gen GS450h.

However I did test drive the new IS and I do get the hype over the car. Really, the interior quality of the car is a non-issue. And I say this after I had spent 45 minutes test driving an IS250 F-Sport. The biggest thing that stood out to me was how tied down and composed the car felt and how the driver's seat was a very special place to be in.
Old 09-25-13, 09:21 AM
IS350AWD
Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
I'm not hurt. I don't even have an IS and I'm actually leaning towards getting a second-hand 4th gen GS450h.

However I did test drive the new IS and I do get the hype over the car. Really, the interior quality of the car is a non-issue. And I say this after I had spent 45 minutes test driving an IS250 F-Sport. The biggest thing that stood out to me was how tied down and composed the car felt and how the driver's seat was a very special place to be in.
This all ties into handling, not necessarily overall interior quality & layout, which is an issue for me. No need in repeating myself why regarding that.

On a positive note, I like the 60/40 split seats...

Last edited by IS350AWD; 09-25-13 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-25-13, 09:27 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha all the new owners who cant accept the mishaps of their new cars and all the previous owners who wont budge. Its ALL laughable to be honest and no one here should take anything personal.

Truth is, wether the 3IS is a great car or not, those who went and bought first year model got SCREWED. Don't take that personal either, but with a radio that has a mind of its own, plastics that scratch easier than paint, and same engines, there is NOTHING more than LOOKS.

But hey, it handles great
Old 09-25-13, 09:39 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
haha all the new owners who cant accept the mishaps of their new cars and all the previous owners who wont budge. Its ALL laughable to be honest and no one here should take anything personal.

Truth is, wether the 3IS is a great car or not, those who went and bought first year model got SCREWED. Don't take that personal either, but with a radio that has a mind of its own, plastics that scratch easier than paint, and same engines, there is NOTHING more than LOOKS.

Yes, the audio system seems to be troubling in the US. Europe got another software. My ML and nav works fine.
As for engines, i think the hybrid is great. But you don't have it either, so naturally you don't see the improvement over 2IS.
Old 09-25-13, 09:54 AM
IS350AWD
Driver

Originally Posted by Vroomin350

Good overview of the minds of each side, haha!
Old 09-25-13, 10:03 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the audio system seems to be troubling in the US. Europe got another software. My ML and nav works fine.
As for engines, i think the hybrid is great. But you don't have it either, so naturally you don't see the improvement over 2IS.
I don't have one but a close friend does. To the contrary, I do think the 3IS IDEA is a great improvement over the 2IS. The way it was executed is the problem I have.

Once that Nav issue gets fixed, the plastic gets better (it will, too many issues already), and the heart transplants come in, THEN I'll make the switch. Truthfully the front of the car is hands down BEAUTIFUL.

I simply refuse to get first model year of anything, yes you are the "first" to have them, but at what cost?

Last edited by Vroomin350; 09-25-13 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: "Third time is a charm" -- great 3IS article/review