IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How often are you in S/S+ mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 01:37 AM
driven5373
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question:

When in Sport Plus mode, does this effect how the manual tiptronic shifter function works?

A previous post mentioned it never goes to 8th gear in Sport Plus - but couldn't you use the paddle shifter to force it into 8th?
Old 08-06-13, 08:23 AM
IanP
Rookie

Likewise in the UK, all F-sports have S+, though I think they only have six rather than eight gears (of course with the 300h this makes no real difference).

Could it be that the US 250 F-sport has S+ but only six gears rather than eight?
Old 08-06-13, 08:59 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by driven5373
Question:

When in Sport Plus mode, does this effect how the manual tiptronic shifter function works?

A previous post mentioned it never goes to 8th gear in Sport Plus - but couldn't you use the paddle shifter to force it into 8th?
the manual mode is just a matter of WHEN (at what RPM) you want to shift. I believe this 8-speed(ISF tranny) shifts in 0.10secs regardless of mode. in S mode the acceleration is assisted by the engine and transmission. S+, the steering and stability is assisted by controlling the steering and suspension. Plus is has what they call AI-shift. Shifts according to driving conditions. I've redlined every gear in S+ mode in the auto position during a drag cause my foot used the gas pedal as a bed rest. During aggressive city driving it'll shift around 4-5k, and in normal or eco mode I can make it shift below 2.5k. So it basically shifts when I want to depending on how im driving. so the 8 speed is the way to go.

I haven't tried to "force" it into 8th. I was using the cruise control on S+ at 80MPH and it never went to 8th. sometimes you just want to stare at that white highlighted cluster. lol. I hardly use the manual function of the vehicle.
Old 08-06-13, 09:03 AM
redcupr
Driver

I understand it like this. In the US, all F-Sports get Eco, Normal, Sport S, and Sport S+ modes.

On the 250's, since they don't the AVS (adjustable suspension), Sport S+ mode add more resistance in the steering. On the 350's the suspension stiffens up in addition to the added steering resistance. I can only speak for my AWD 350 F-Sport, but I assume the RWD 350's get the steering ratio tweaked in Sport S and/or Sport S+ modes. Throttle response in the Sport S and Sport S+ feel the same to me.

I haven't played that much in Sport S+, but the transmission (6-speed in the AWD) feels as if it shifts a little quicker/harder.
Old 10-12-13, 12:53 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To simplify things:

"Sport" alters acceleration (transmission and engine)

"Sport +" alters both acceleration and handling (chassis and steering)

Is this correct?

Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-13, 01:19 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm rarely on S+ mode. Pretty much useless during day to day traffic. I'm in normal mode for the majority of my drives.

S+ mode still isn't as "fun" as my 6mt. I want to keep this car but it's being sold tomorrow. No place to park it.
Old 10-12-13, 09:26 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
I want to keep this car but it's being sold tomorrow. No place to park it.
Selling already? Which model and how long have you had her? Did you buy outright or finance? And what else is left in the stable? Hopefully not taking much of a hit; This car is HOT now. Good luck with the transaction!
Old 10-12-13, 09:29 AM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Sport + too often and it reflects on my gas tank lol...I've driven my car in ECO mood and when I check the gear position it goes into 8
Old 10-12-13, 09:53 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dbs600
Selling already? Which model and how long have you had her? Did you buy outright or finance? And what else is left in the stable? Hopefully not taking much of a hit; This car is HOT now. Good luck with the transaction!
Lol, no im selling my 6mt today. (G35 coupe)
Old 10-12-13, 02:20 PM
ddb
Rookie

I use my IS350 F RWD to drive to work everyday. I drive about 38-40 miles roundtrip each day of which about 30 miles are highway (I-95 in Miami FL).

I mostly drive on ECO Mode not just because it saves some gas (barely I would say) while the ride is very comfortable. When I want some "kick" because of a very "nice" Miami driver style idiot gets on my way, I just switch to Sport + Mode and do some fast maneuvering to pass, then go back to my ECO Mode while keeping myself relaxed

Based on the information I have on each Mode, I have to say that the Sport Mode is basically useless on the F Sport, and worse, you MUST turn the Dial TWICE to the right side to get to the BETTER Mode which is Sport + Mode (a useless extra step).

If you ask me, I would add an extra button right next to the Snow and the Traction Control buttons to select between Sport Modeand Sport + Mode. Then whenever you turn the Dial to the right, it will select the sport mode you always want (which would be Sport + Mode for me).

Now since this discussion has also turned into what models have each mode, let me quote the US Lexus site:

Drive Mode Select with ECO, Normal, Sport S and Sport S+ modes

Standard on IS250 F Sport and IS350 F Sport in both RWD and AWD.

Exclusively available on the IS 350 F SPORT rear-wheel drive model, Drive Mode Select with ECO, Normal, Sport S and Sport S+ modes enables you to make your vehicle more responsive or efficient with the simple turn of the switch. ECO mode moderates the throttle response, engine power output and climate settings for increased fuel efficiency. Normal mode provides the optimal balance of fuel efficiency and engine performance. Sport S mode alters the powertrain for faster manual-mode gear changes and more dynamic throttle-mapping and switches the outer ring of the LFA-inspired tachometer to white. Sport S+ mode goes a step further by tightening the suspension and increasing the steering response in VGRS-equipped models. In both modes, the transmission shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharpr acceleration.

IS F SPORT

- Twin projector LED headlamps.
- F SPORT 18-inch split-five-spoke alloy wheels with 225/40R18 (front), 255/35R18 (rear) with summer (RWD) or all-season (AWD) performance tires.
- F SPORT exterior styling including front fascia and grille (deletes foglamps), front fender badges.
- F SPORT suspension tuning.
- LFA-inspired digital instrumentation.
- F SPORT bolstered and heated front seats.
- F SPORT perforated leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift ****.
- Aluminum pedals.
- Silver Performance interior trim.
- Black headliner.
- High-friction brake pads.

As you can see, there is a problem in the way Lexus explain things as the Sport + Mode shows as standard on ALL F Sport models but then the explanation says "Exclusively available on the IS 350 F SPORT rear-wheel drive model" so what is what??

I would suggest whoever has the F Sport to post a reply here and state the exact model you have (250 or 350 and RWD or AWD) and tell us if you have the Sport + Mode or not. And don't forget to mention if you have the optional VGRS feature.

I am going to read the Owners Manual... but not now, I have no patience for it

I'll start with mine:

2014 IS350 F Sport RWD with VGRS - All Modes are available (ECO Mode, Normal Mode, Sport Mode and Sport + Mode)

Lets hear from others...
Old 10-12-13, 02:23 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
Lol, no im selling my 6mt today. (G35 coupe)
Oh! Okay. Was going to say, that was quick!
Old 10-12-13, 03:58 PM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddb
I use my IS350 F RWD to drive to work everyday. I drive about 38-40 miles roundtrip each day of which about 30 miles are highway (I-95 in Miami FL). I mostly drive on ECO Mode not just because it saves some gas (barely I would say) while the ride is very comfortable. When I want some "kick" because of a very "nice" Miami driver style idiot gets on my way, I just switch to Sport + Mode and do some fast maneuvering to pass, then go back to my ECO Mode while keeping myself relaxed Based on the information I have on each Mode, I have to say that the Sport Mode is basically useless on the F Sport, and worse, you MUST turn the Dial TWICE to the right side to get to the BETTER Mode which is Sport + Mode (a useless extra step). If you ask me, I would add an extra button right next to the Snow and the Traction Control buttons to select between Sport Modeand Sport + Mode. Then whenever you turn the Dial to the right, it will select the sport mode you always want (which would be Sport + Mode for me). Now since this discussion has also turned into what models have each mode, let me quote the US Lexus site: Drive Mode Select with ECO, Normal, Sport S and Sport S+ modes Standard on IS250 F Sport and IS350 F Sport in both RWD and AWD. Exclusively available on the IS 350 F SPORT rear-wheel drive model, Drive Mode Select with ECO, Normal, Sport S and Sport S+ modes enables you to make your vehicle more responsive or efficient with the simple turn of the switch. ECO mode moderates the throttle response, engine power output and climate settings for increased fuel efficiency. Normal mode provides the optimal balance of fuel efficiency and engine performance. Sport S mode alters the powertrain for faster manual-mode gear changes and more dynamic throttle-mapping and switches the outer ring of the LFA-inspired tachometer to white. Sport S+ mode goes a step further by tightening the suspension and increasing the steering response in VGRS-equipped models. In both modes, the transmission shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharpr acceleration. IS F SPORT - Twin projector LED headlamps. - F SPORT 18-inch split-five-spoke alloy wheels with 225/40R18 (front), 255/35R18 (rear) with summer (RWD) or all-season (AWD) performance tires. - F SPORT exterior styling including front fascia and grille (deletes foglamps), front fender badges. - F SPORT suspension tuning. - LFA-inspired digital instrumentation. - F SPORT bolstered and heated front seats. - F SPORT perforated leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift ****. - Aluminum pedals. - Silver Performance interior trim. - Black headliner. - High-friction brake pads. As you can see, there is a problem in the way Lexus explain things as the Sport + Mode shows as standard on ALL F Sport models but then the explanation says "Exclusively available on the IS 350 F SPORT rear-wheel drive model" so what is what?? I would suggest whoever has the F Sport to post a reply here and state the exact model you have (250 or 350 and RWD or AWD) and tell us if you have the Sport + Mode or not. And don't forget to mention if you have the optional VGRS feature. I am going to read the Owners Manual... but not now, I have no patience for it I'll start with mine: 2014 IS350 F Sport RWD with VGRS - All Modes are available (ECO Mode, Normal Mode, Sport Mode and Sport + Mode) Lets hear from others...
IS350 F Sport w/VGRS all modes available
Old 10-12-13, 05:49 PM
xbigboix83
Rookie

I do not habe vgrs. That is extra optional
Old 10-12-13, 06:23 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ddb
I use my IS350 F RWD to drive to work everyday. I drive about 38-40 miles roundtrip each day of which about 30 miles are highway (I-95 in Miami FL).

I mostly drive on ECO Mode not just because it saves some gas (barely I would say) while the ride is very comfortable. When I want some "kick" because of a very "nice" Miami driver style idiot gets on my way, I just switch to Sport + Mode and do some fast maneuvering to pass, then go back to my ECO Mode while keeping myself relaxed

Based on the information I have on each Mode, I have to say that the Sport Mode is basically useless on the F Sport, and worse, you MUST turn the Dial TWICE to the right side to get to the BETTER Mode which is Sport + Mode (a useless extra step).

If you ask me, I would add an extra button right next to the Snow and the Traction Control buttons to select between Sport Modeand Sport + Mode. Then whenever you turn the Dial to the right, it will select the sport mode you always want (which would be Sport + Mode for me).

Now since this discussion has also turned into what models have each mode, let me quote the US Lexus site:

Drive Mode Select with ECO, Normal, Sport S and Sport S+ modes

Standard on IS250 F Sport and IS350 F Sport in both RWD and AWD.

Exclusively available on the IS 350 F SPORT rear-wheel drive model, Drive Mode Select with ECO, Normal, Sport S and Sport S+ modes enables you to make your vehicle more responsive or efficient with the simple turn of the switch. ECO mode moderates the throttle response, engine power output and climate settings for increased fuel efficiency. Normal mode provides the optimal balance of fuel efficiency and engine performance. Sport S mode alters the powertrain for faster manual-mode gear changes and more dynamic throttle-mapping and switches the outer ring of the LFA-inspired tachometer to white. Sport S+ mode goes a step further by tightening the suspension and increasing the steering response in VGRS-equipped models. In both modes, the transmission shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharpr acceleration.

IS F SPORT

- Twin projector LED headlamps.
- F SPORT 18-inch split-five-spoke alloy wheels with 225/40R18 (front), 255/35R18 (rear) with summer (RWD) or all-season (AWD) performance tires.
- F SPORT exterior styling including front fascia and grille (deletes foglamps), front fender badges.
- F SPORT suspension tuning.
- LFA-inspired digital instrumentation.
- F SPORT bolstered and heated front seats.
- F SPORT perforated leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift ****.
- Aluminum pedals.
- Silver Performance interior trim.
- Black headliner.
- High-friction brake pads.

As you can see, there is a problem in the way Lexus explain things as the Sport + Mode shows as standard on ALL F Sport models but then the explanation says "Exclusively available on the IS 350 F SPORT rear-wheel drive model" so what is what??

I would suggest whoever has the F Sport to post a reply here and state the exact model you have (250 or 350 and RWD or AWD) and tell us if you have the Sport + Mode or not. And don't forget to mention if you have the optional VGRS feature.

I am going to read the Owners Manual... but not now, I have no patience for it

I'll start with mine:

2014 IS350 F Sport RWD with VGRS - All Modes are available (ECO Mode, Normal Mode, Sport Mode and Sport + Mode)

Lets hear from others...
Far as I know only VGRS w/ Power Tilt-and-Telescopic steering column and 8-speed direct sport shift are the only exclusive features on IS350 RWD. So it's possible when Lexus says "Exclusively available on the IS 350 F SPORT rear-wheel drive model" they are specifically talking about the VGRS feature.
Old 10-12-13, 06:26 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xbigboix83
I do not habe vgrs. That is extra optional
For anyone who's getting the IS350 RWD F-Sport, they should think about getting VGRS & Power Tilt-and-Telescopic steering column. Not just because these features are going to be great and add to the driving/ownership experience but it's only $400.

With exception of the initial F-Sport package and Navigation w/ ML package rest of the features like BSM, PCS, RPSS, VGRS are very reasonable, at least to me, with none of those going above $600.

Quick Reply: How often are you in S/S+ mode?