IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS250 and Carseats

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 01:12 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 IS250 and Carseats

This is my second post but I thought I would share something since I actually returned my 2013 because of this reason. I have 2 kids who are still in carseats. One is backwards still. The 2013 I purchased was new off the lot. I didn't test fit my carseats in there before buying it. Once I got home I realized that I could not drive the car with my kid behind me since the seat would't go back far enough. Normally I put the backwards seat in the middle but I was not able to do that on a 2013. The 2014 however is a tad bit larger and I was able to get one seat to the side and my backwards one in the middle. The dealer was nice enough to allow me to swap the car out with any issues. I may even be able to fit 3 carseats in the new IS but I have not tried.

Just thought I would post this for anyone who is looking to buy a leftover 2013 verses the 14 and has 2 or more carseats to put in the backseat.

Another thing I noticed was my Stroller. On the 2013 is was difficult to maneuver into the trunk. The 2014 has a larger opening and it goes right in.
Old 07-06-13, 01:56 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus

Great post, Thanks for sharing as I'm sure others will benefit from it!

Enjoy your new 2014 IS in good health.
Old 07-06-13, 08:03 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John510
This is my second post but I thought I would share something since I actually returned my 2013 because of this reason. I have 2 kids who are still in carseats. One is backwards still. The 2013 I purchased was new off the lot. I didn't test fit my carseats in there before buying it. Once I got home I realized that I could not drive the car with my kid behind me since the seat would't go back far enough. Normally I put the backwards seat in the middle but I was not able to do that on a 2013. The 2014 however is a tad bit larger and I was able to get one seat to the side and my backwards one in the middle. The dealer was nice enough to allow me to swap the car out with any issues. I may even be able to fit 3 carseats in the new IS but I have not tried.

Just thought I would post this for anyone who is looking to buy a leftover 2013 verses the 14 and has 2 or more carseats to put in the backseat.

Another thing I noticed was my Stroller. On the 2013 is was difficult to maneuver into the trunk. The 2014 has a larger opening and it goes right in.
Thanks for the useful info. This is not easy to figure out unless you try it with an actual car.
Old 07-06-13, 08:11 PM
SexyElaine
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you this post and thread since I was concerned about the size of the rear seats and the trunk space for my 2 little boys as well. I'm only carrying 1 stroller now but from what I've heard ...... even 1 stroller was difficult to get into the 2IS !?
Old 07-06-13, 08:32 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove the new IS this week (along with the 328i) and I made sure to test the car seat and stroller in the car (also having been burned before). I had the same results as you: backwards-facing car seat in the middle JUST fit with my seat in the comfortable driving position. This is actually a step up from my current car where I have to move the seat a notch or two forward from optimal when I'm driving with the car seat in.

I was amazed to find that the stroller fit in the trunk as well. Our stroller is kind of a beast so that was a pleasant surprise.

The size of the car is why I never considered buying the 2IS but am now considering the 3IS. I'm pretty happy that everything fit because I'm kind of in love with the car.

FWIW, the 328i actually has even more space in the back and the car seat fit more comfortably. However there was no possible way to get the stroller in the trunk. Like not even close.
Old 07-06-13, 08:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Yeah, that's what an extra 3" more total legroom gets you from the 2IS. BIG and much needed improvement!
Old 07-06-13, 09:51 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant do this on a 2IS. 1 full size seat behind passenger and my one year olds backwards seat in the middle. With the 2IS the backwards seat had to be on one side and the other seat on the opposite side. With the current 3IS I can have another passenger in the back.

Old 07-07-13, 06:58 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Cant do this on a 2IS. 1 full size seat behind passenger and my one year olds backwards seat in the middle. With the 2IS the backwards seat had to be on one side and the other seat on the opposite side. With the current 3IS I can have another passenger in the back.

Great pic clearly validating the improved fit/space claims
Old 03-27-14, 04:00 PM
ammiemay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up very helpful

I actually sold my 2008 lexus is250 when I became pregnant knowing that getting my friends car seat in the back seat was very tight fit and her stroller didn't fit into the trunk. My son is now 3 so he's front facing now. I am looking at the 2014 is250 as I have missed my lexus everyday since I sold it. now that he's front facing no big issue but we are considering another child and would hate to have to get rid of yet another lexus. I have been researching this car with rear facing carseats and finally found this post. Glad to hear it is bigger in the rear. I was looking at getting a es350 but only front wheel drive and I'm not a fan for front wheel drive. I need awd for the snow thank you for sharing this information as it is not online much on what will fit in rear of 2014 is250 Still bringing me car seat when I go to buy