IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS300h VS IS250

Old 06-04-13, 09:15 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayaans
I drove a blue one in budapest. It was the opal blue, not the ultra blue. Really liked that colour but oh well. Let me tell you though, the car may not sound good when its at max rpm, but flick the sound generator switch and it sounds soooo much better. Its a gimmick, but who cares?!?!
It was a opal blue. Maybe it was same car that goes around Europe? It does look pretty good.

Funny that you mentioned the sound generator. I got one of this gadget that you put in the cigarette lighter that simulates V10 sound through the build-in speakers some years ago. It made me LOL every time I had it on. Hilarious.
Old 06-04-13, 11:01 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
It was a opal blue. Maybe it was same car that goes around Europe? It does look pretty good.

Funny that you mentioned the sound generator. I got one of this gadget that you put in the cigarette lighter that simulates V10 sound through the build-in speakers some years ago. It made me LOL every time I had it on. Hilarious.
It is pretty good to be honest. Cant tell that its speakers in the car and gives you a sense of speed round corners which ordinary hybrids dont. First time I drove my RX450h, went round a corner at 60 without realising because it didnt make any noise
Old 06-05-13, 12:09 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove the 300h today. It was in atomic silver and has executive trim level (the highest non F-sport version). If I were you, I'll take the 250. At least you should test drive both before you decision. My 250 F-Sport feels sportier after the test drive.

And the sound generator sounds... well, pretty synthetic. In other word, fake. It's pretty weak too, sounds much weaker than in some youtube videos. I have F-sport intake in my car and it sound much louder than that. Maybe thats why I didn't noticed it at the first. The synthetic sound from what I can hear has 4 different pitch levels and it changes depends on how fast you are going. It sounds especially weird when i flipped the paddles up and down in sport mode. It works pretty much the same as the cheap gadget I got. I think it should be deleted permanently, it just doesn't suite the car. Not mention the sound generator switch... They re-used this old headlight level roller switch for it.

Edit: I have to agree with the reviewers about the CVT transmission. It did a good job to kill the sportiness of the new IS. Again, it's a shame that we don't get the 350 in Europe.

Last edited by UpSideDown; 06-05-13 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 02:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
I drove the 300h today. It was in atomic silver and has executive trim level (the highest non F-sport version). If I were you, I'll take the 250. At least you should test drive both before you decision. My 250 F-Sport feels sportier after the test drive.

And the sound generator sounds... well, pretty synthetic. In other word, fake. It's pretty weak too, sounds much weaker than in some youtube videos. I have F-sport intake in my car and it sound much louder than that. Maybe thats why I didn't noticed it at the first. The synthetic sound from what I can hear has 4 different pitch levels and it changes depends on how fast you are going. It sounds especially weird when i flipped the paddles up and down in sport mode. It works pretty much the same as the cheap gadget I got. I think it should be deleted permanently, it just doesn't suite the car. Not mention the sound generator switch... They re-used this old headlight level roller switch for it.

Edit: I have to agree with the reviewers about the CVT transmission. It did a good job to kill the sportiness of the new IS. Again, it's a shame that we don't get the 350 in Europe.

well, I personally wouldnt get 250 if they were giving it away... rather get some proper engine like 320i... but I like hybrids much better than diesels.
Old 06-10-13, 03:45 PM
IanP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually in the UK, the IS makes up nearly half of sales.

Remember also there are as many Audis sold in the UK as there are in the US - despite nearly seven times more cars being sold in the US! UK reviewers are unfamiliar with Lexus (and then also with hybrid), so always suggest German diesels simply because they're acquainted with them.