IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looks like a wagon / estate version is coming!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 08:59 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Thats just the thing, thats exactly my point. They haven't invested heavily in diesels for you because they would only be for your market...and Lexus isn't going to do aggressive R&D if the result of that cannot be used for the benefit of their primary market, the US.

Same is true of a wagon.

I thought you said they had no interest in changing that?
Thats the interesting part. You said that the salesnumbers are important , and of course they are. On the other hand, you dont se any reason for them to bring us diesels and wagons because the US maket dont care about this ? Well, what are they doing in Europe then ? Whats the ponit ? If Lexus wants to sell cars here they have to bring us what we want, no matter what Asia, US or Australia wants, right ? And yes, the numbers are small today, but everyone starts from "nothing".
And the final question is, how do you expand on a market if you refuse to invest some money there. No company has ever made good profits from day one.
Old 01-11-13, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I don't disagree with you, if they want to grow their market share in Europe they are going to have to invest in what European carbuyers want.

The question is are they really going to take that risk/gamble when its a vehicle they cannot also be successful with here in the US. Building a wagon is a bigger gamble than developing a great diesel they can put into the cars they've already developed, or selling cheaper, decontented volume cars to compete with Mercedes, BMW & Audi.

I don't see them leading with the wagon personally...when as the other poster above from Switzerland pointed out they don't even sell more stripped down decontented vehicles as luxury marques do in Europe...but like I said I could be wrong. We'll see.
Old 01-11-13, 11:46 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a chop I found on The Lexus Enthusiast's Facebook

I love the idea, the Sportcross was such a neat, and rare car.
Old 01-11-13, 04:05 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

Too bad the "good wagons" don't make it state side... RS6, Shooting Brake CLS63. All I can look forward to is the new AWD E63. But if there's an ISF Wagon?!? I'm in! No way someone will catch me in a damn mini van or tall suv with my family. I'll make it work somehow. haha. It's all about the car's dynamics for me.
Old 01-11-13, 06:53 PM
knox_sport
Driver

Default TSX mis-information

Acura had the TSX wagon...cancelled after one year.
This is incorrect and was repeated 2 more times by people who don't know the facts...

The TSX sportwagon is still on sale, and please visit Acura's site to build yours. In December 2012 it sold 414 units (4,234 for all of 2012), compared to 295 in December 2011 (3,210 for all of 2011). Granted, those aren't huge numbers compared to run of the mill Camrys and Accords. But only 1 of those years equals the entire Lexus Sportcross volume sold during it's 2002-2005 run in the USA (somewhere over 3,000 sold in total). So comparatively speaking, the TSX has been a greater success while at a similar price-point to where the Sportcross was 7-10 years ago.

The Sportcross was too small inside for the price, and a gas guzzler considering it's size (though the engine was sweet). I know. I owned one. I still get goose-bumps every time I (rarely) see one on the road. And I still miss it. In my opinion it was ahead of it's time. But wagons, like 5-door liftbacks (aka, Mazda 6 hatches) are a hard sell in the US.

I hope Lexus pulls a surprise and indeed offers a beautifully styled 3IS Sportcross. I'd probably buy one. Though I'm more disappointed there doesn't seem to be a manual tranny option for the sedan (even if it had to be ordered), at least at launch. I hope maybe it will arrive in year 2, or at the mid-cycle refresh along with a revised IS250 powerplant.

Eagerly awaiting the 15th!

Last edited by knox_sport; 01-11-13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 09:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knox_sport
This is incorrect and was repeated 2 more times by people who don't know the facts...

The TSX sportwagon is still on sale, and please visit Acura's site to build yours.
Just relaying what I was told by a very knowledgable Acura salesperson...
Old 01-11-13, 09:38 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Just relaying what I was told by a very knowledgable Acura salesperson...
I believe it's not canned yet.
Old 01-11-13, 09:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He was told that this would be the last year, and his dealership wasn't ordering any because they just didn't sell.

Its a shame because they're nice vehicles.
Old 01-11-13, 09:58 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

It will fail just like the first one did.
Old 01-11-13, 11:28 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
It will fail just like the first one did.
Perhaps, but the F version will be the real sleeper.
Old 01-11-13, 11:43 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Why wagon? Seriously? Just better go for an SUV.
Old 01-12-13, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by knox_sport

The TSX sportwagon is still on sale, and please visit Acura's site to build yours. In December 2012 it sold 414 units (4,234 for all of 2012), compared to 295 in December 2011 (3,210 for all of 2011). Granted, those aren't huge numbers compared to run of the mill Camrys and Accords. But only 1 of those years equals the entire Lexus Sportcross volume sold during it's 2002-2005 run in the USA (somewhere over 3,000 sold in total). So comparatively speaking, the TSX has been a greater success while at a similar price-point to where the Sportcross was 7-10 years ago.

The TSX Sportwagon, IMO, is the body style that Honda should have used for the Accord's Crosstour series, instead of that silly rounded droop-down rear end that just eats up needed cargo space.

The Sportcross was too small inside for the price,
True, but no IS model has ever been truly roomy inside.....especially in the back seat.

and a gas guzzler considering it's size (though the engine was sweet).
True.....that 3.0 in-line 6 was as smooth as butter, but drank gas like a V8. I know...I owned an IS300 sedan.

If Lexus had offered the SportCross when I bought my 2001 IS, I would have seriously considered one. The ideal SportCross, of course, would be an AWD version so it could compete with the Audi Quattro/All-Road//Volvo XC70 competition and top-line Subaru Legacy/Outback models....though, to some extent, the Toyota Venza wagon already does that now.
Old 01-12-13, 11:13 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Perhaps, but the F version will be the real sleeper.
Do you mean F-Sport or IS-F? IS-F version is extremely unlikely, and F-Sport isn't anything special (still only 306hp). There are many other wagons with better performance.
Old 01-12-13, 12:06 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Do you mean F-Sport or IS-F? IS-F version is extremely unlikely, and F-Sport isn't anything special (still only 306hp). There are many other wagons with better performance.
I mean the real F. We will have to see if they ever bring F wagon to the table or not, but I really like the idea. The sleeper part does remind me a bit about a Volvo wagon with 2JZ.
Old 01-12-13, 12:39 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can bet with a 99.9% certainty there wont be such a thing as an IS-F wagon...

Quick Reply: Looks like a wagon / estate version is coming!