IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Please Help with this "recall" (Sticky/cracking dash)

Old 03-21-17, 02:32 PM
ShibaLover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help with this "recall" (Sticky/cracking dash)

Hello I made this account because google searching has brought me here, where it seems many people are going through this and know a thing or two about this.
I dont know anything about cars, but I own a 06 is250 as my daily driver car. But going through a career change and started to do ridesharing in my lexus as a source of income during this transition.
A customer has brought it to my attention that my door is sticky, cracking and even stained his pants. He was very nice about it, thank goodness. And sure enough all my doors and my dash, was cracking and sticky and I could literally sink my nail into it as easily as cookie dough.

Im currently depending on ridesharing as income, but my sticky door, easily come off and can effect my customers. Maybe they lean a expensive white LV purse between them and the door and stains their bag, or worse. So I have stopped for now.
I do know this is a "recall" and I recently put my name on the potential 2+ year waiting list. My letter I got does say its not a recall but just a service they are doing for customer satisfaction.
2years is a bit long to wait, so my main question is if I have been inspected and approved for this replacement. Could I potentially go on ebay or some other seller, and buy a "new" used set of doors and dash, and have lexus reimburse me? as that was an option in my recall letter. Has anyone asked about this or went though the reimbursement process?
I would like to find out if anyone went thought the reimbursement process, before asking the dealership. Its not that I dont trust them, its just I have been tricked by them twice already.
Old 03-21-17, 02:50 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Pretty sure Lexus only reimbursed people that had theirs replaced at their own expense BEFORE the TSB. You can still replace the panels yourself, but won't get reimbursed. I guess you have to judge for yourself if that outweighs lost income.
Old 03-21-17, 03:18 PM
Nikovibes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just took my car in for the aibag and fuel sensor recall for my 2007 is250 and they called and said they broke part of the dash due to the sticky dash and said its extended warranty and ordered me a new dash but they said its 8 months out! WTF
Old 03-21-17, 08:50 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

I doubt Lexus will reimburse you if you bought your own panels and got them replaced. The most cost effective option is to get it done by the dealership through the extended warranty. Plus, the money you pay for the panels and labor would have to be made up from ridesharing, and from personal experience as a driver, I know the money isn't great, and you ended up making like minimum wage before expenses on your car.