IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Center console wood grain doesn't match

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 07:22 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Center console wood grain doesn't match

Ok, the center console surround (around the shifter) is more like traditional wood, whereas the rest of the entire car is the grey tinted wood. I don't see Lexus doing this, although why would you need to replace this on a 65,000 mile 1 owner car? Whenever I see these parts for sale online there's never a color option. Weird. Can anyone shine some light on this?
Old 03-17-17, 08:26 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I'm sure it matched when it came from the factory. I've read here about a few people messing up their center console trim in various ways, e.g., they gouged or scratched it while removing radio, had it damaged by a leaky air freshener, etc. If that's what happened to yours, I'm not sure why the original owner would have replaced it with the wrong color.
Old 03-17-17, 11:28 AM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Post some pics
Old 03-17-17, 02:50 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nespo2330
Post some pics

Old 03-17-17, 03:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Colors look strange. The ashtray and cup holder look different. The standard color was very red. Do you have a picture of your armrest inserts?
Old 03-17-17, 03:15 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Colors look strange. The ashtray and cup holder look different. The standard color was very red. Do you have a picture of your armrest inserts?
Newer models had the dark wood replace the red wood (Believe this occurred in 09)
Old 03-17-17, 03:42 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sktn77a
All the faux burled walnut matches perfectly; it all has that grey tint... (which I love) except the shifter surround; that's traditional wood color (brown) This part had to have been replaced at one point I'm sure. Just wanted confirmation. I'm an extraordinarily picky person, and I've never owned a Lexus until yesterday so I need to sort out if it's me or them lol. I have to ask because this is a 2011 350 and it has no valet option, no option to dim the center console lights (radio/hvac), the visors don't extend, the radio doesn't recognize more than 1 folder on my thumb drive, nor does it have remote start - which for even a bottom of the line Lexus BAFFLES me. My 2013 Chrysler 200 had twice the options this thing does lol. So I don't know if it's me or Lexus. Still trying to figure out where I stand.
Old 03-17-17, 04:56 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Just to be clear, it's real wood, not faux wood. So every car is slightly different.

Yours looks strange.

Jeff
Old 03-17-17, 05:03 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

I just checked mine. It's similar to yours also center looks darker. It seems to look that way in sunlight. In the shade it looks like it all matches. I never noticed this until your post.
Old 03-17-17, 05:12 PM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine also look like that. The cup holder and ashtray are a slightly different shade. Annoyed me too but you get used to it lol
Old 03-17-17, 06:10 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Just to be clear, it's real wood, not faux wood. So every car is slightly different.

Yours looks strange.

Jeff
This is real burled walnut? Dam that's pretty cool lol. (you sure?, this thing's visors don't even extend lol. but the woods real walnut?? lol)
Then how did it match in every other piece on the entire car but the shifter surround?
Old 03-17-17, 06:22 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
This is real burled walnut? Dam that's pretty cool lol. (you sure?, this thing's visors don't even extend lol. but the woods real walnut?? lol)
Then how did it match in every other piece on the entire car but the shifter surround?
Yeah, it's real. All of the wood in the car is real. It's a thin piece of wood that's been highly lacquered on a plastic backing, I believe Yamaha makes it.
Old 03-17-17, 08:39 PM
zcollier
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The colors on mine are very similar to yours, in that they're close but don't quite match. The cup holder lid is quite different, just like in your photo. 2011 IS250 AWD.
Old 03-18-17, 06:35 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
The grey wood is not burled walnut, it's birds-eye maple. It's a veneer; a paper thin slice of real wood glued onto the plastic.

I'm glad you posted the picture. The way you initially described it sounded like you had a combination of the grey birds-eye maple from the '09+ and walnut from the '06-'08.
Old 03-18-17, 07:31 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
The grey wood is not burled walnut, it's birds-eye maple. It's a veneer; a paper thin slice of real wood glued onto the plastic.

I'm glad you posted the picture. The way you initially described it sounded like you had a combination of the grey birds-eye maple from the '09+ and walnut from the '06-'08.
Right! (keep forgetting I'm not in a Buick lol. I've been GM for soo long) Although I do feel like I have a combination of that. I'm still missing how such a brand could miss this huge mismatch. They got alllll the other wood absolutely spot on.. except one?

Quick Reply: Center console wood grain doesn't match