IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help 06 suddenly died and starting problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 06:29 AM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help 06 suddenly died and starting problems...

Greetings,
So just now I was pulling out of my driveway and my car suddenly just died. Lights, radio, AC was still on, just engine died.
I just replaced the battery and alternator only about a year ago.
My car doesnt even try crank up when I try to start it. I am getting a check VSC, traction, AND P/S lights. I dont have the scanner and cant currently go get one without a car, so just wanted to see if anyone had an idea from my symptoms.
So my car doesnt crank and all my lights and AC works. I checked my battery terminals and everything seems okay, I disconnected the battery to reset the ECU and when I connected it, it still didnt crack, all my lights and radio work but now my AC doesnt work, and wont turn on.

I havent yet tried to jump my car, as Im waiting for a friend to finish work and let me try jump off of him.
Could it be my starter? But would a bad starter kill the car while its already running and prevent my AC from turning on? (just a guess as Im not a mechanic in any way) when I try to start it theres no sound, no clicking or ticking sound like I hear when my work car's starter was bad.

I will pick up a code reader as soon as I can, but for now Im grounded, so any help would be appreciated until then
Old 02-25-17, 07:11 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by takadakeyo
Greetings,
So just now I was pulling out of my driveway and my car suddenly just died. Lights, radio, AC was still on, just engine died.
I just replaced the battery and alternator only about a year ago.
My car doesnt even try crank up when I try to start it. I am getting a check VSC, traction, AND P/S lights. I dont have the scanner and cant currently go get one without a car, so just wanted to see if anyone had an idea from my symptoms.
So my car doesnt crank and all my lights and AC works. I checked my battery terminals and everything seems okay, I disconnected the battery to reset the ECU and when I connected it, it still didnt crack, all my lights and radio work but now my AC doesnt work, and wont turn on.

I havent yet tried to jump my car, as Im waiting for a friend to finish work and let me try jump off of him.
Could it be my starter? But would a bad starter kill the car while its already running and prevent my AC from turning on? (just a guess as Im not a mechanic in any way) when I try to start it theres no sound, no clicking or ticking sound like I hear when my work car's starter was bad.

I will pick up a code reader as soon as I can, but for now Im grounded, so any help would be appreciated until then
ya you said it, Starter ! but try everything 1st before you jump to expensive one.
Old 02-25-17, 08:28 AM
flynryan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If the car was already started then the starter would not make it turn off.
Old 02-25-17, 08:38 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Hmm, 250 or 350? Has the ELF recall been performed? Usually when the check VSC lights are on when you press the start button and it wont crank means its been kicked into safe mode. Let the car sit for 30-60 mins and try to crank it again. If it cranks and instantly dies, fuel pressure sensor needs to be replaced.
Old 02-25-17, 10:34 AM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Originally Posted by flynryan
If the car was already started then the starter would not make it turn off.
Yes it was running when the engine suddenly died. So not my starter?

Hmm, 250 or 350? Has the ELF recall been performed? Usually when the check VSC lights are on when you press the start button and it wont crank means its been kicked into safe mode. Let the car sit for 30-60 mins and try to crank it again. If it cranks and instantly dies, fuel pressure sensor needs to be replaced.
250. The Fuel Pressure senor leak recall has not been done yet. It been over an hour since it died and I tried again but didnt even crank. Im still without a car so Im still unable to try jump it or get a scanner
Old 02-25-17, 11:21 AM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be your batteries... Have it load tested.
Old 02-25-17, 01:25 PM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Ok it might actually be my starter. But still not sure why it died while the car was on. But here's what I did so far:
I got jumper cables and tried to jump my is250 but it didnt work.
I bought a $25 OBD II reader but wasnt able to read. Possibly because I cant turn my car on, it should have worked still but it didnt. I tested it on a tacoma with the car off and it didnt read, but when I turned the tacoma on it read it perfectly fine. Cheap walmart one
I better cleaned my battery terminals and tried to start it again, it started for about 2secs then it died.
I multimeter tested my battery off (its all I got to test my battery) and it read 12.20v
I think it may be my started because when I listen carefully when I try to start it, I do hear two clicks but no cranks

What do you guys think with this new info?
Old 02-25-17, 01:38 PM
HartFB
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like an alternator, mine did the exact same thing to me and took a **** yesterday, however but mine died on me while I was on my way to the O'reillys to have them take a look at it. Ended up getting it towed... It sounds like your battery is alright because it's holding good voltage but when you try to jump it it wont turnover because the alternator wont hold it. What on your car is working electronically?
Old 02-25-17, 01:52 PM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Originally Posted by HartFB
It sounds like an alternator, mine did the exact same thing to me and took a **** yesterday, however but mine died on me while I was on my way to the O'reillys to have them take a look at it. Ended up getting it towed... It sounds like your battery is alright because it's holding good voltage but when you try to jump it it wont turnover because the alternator wont hold it. What on your car is working electronically?
Strange because I got my alternator replaced less than a year ago with a brand new part. Maybe my alternator will have some kind of warranty.
The things that are working in my car is pretty much everything. So radio, headlights, AC is working now, alarm, power everything, etc.
Old 02-25-17, 01:57 PM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Yeah I have the paper work and my alternator was replaced 10months ago
Old 02-25-17, 02:51 PM
HartFB
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strange because I got my alternator replaced less than a year ago with a brand new part. Maybe my alternator will have some kind of warranty.
The things that are working in my car is pretty much everything. So radio, headlights, AC is working now, alarm, power everything, etc.
Hmm, that's strange, if you're still having all of that then going then you should have enough to turn the starter over... If you have AAA (triple a) give them a call and they can do an electrical system check that will give you a path of which way to look. They'll throw in a new battery and try a bunch of different to see if they can get you moving, I've always had a great experience with them.
Old 02-25-17, 03:03 PM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Originally Posted by HartFB
Hmm, that's strange, if you're still having all of that then going then you should have enough to turn the starter over... If you have AAA (triple a) give them a call and they can do an electrical system check that will give you a path of which way to look. They'll throw in a new battery and try a bunch of different to see if they can get you moving, I've always had a great experience with them.
Yeah I do have AAA so I think I will give them a call and try zero in on the problem and try get it fixed.
Old 02-25-17, 03:25 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Yeah I do have AAA so I think I will give them a call and try zero in on the problem and try get it fixed.
Sorry for interrupting but when my battery died i could crank but the engine won't start, all LIGHTS worked, after i got a jumped from a nice taxi driver the car started normal, ask someone to jump your car if the car start normal then it's the battery or when your car died while driving that when you look at the alternator, no matter what the battery must has some power for the cranking, does your lights radio still work or all died ? they all worked ! ok after you check your battery and alternator check the Crankshaft sensor too and fuses.

Last edited by Solara350; 02-25-17 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-26-17, 12:53 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I better cleaned my battery terminals and tried to start it again, it started for about 2secs then it died.
Did you attempt to immediately start it again after this happened? The above happens after anytime the battery is disconnected from a 2IS model. A second start is needed to kick it over.

I've read about some having faulty ground wire connections or bad ground wires over time. Try removing the battery to inspect the wiring a bit better.

This would also explain why the car stopped while running.
Old 02-27-17, 01:54 PM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Solara350
Sorry for interrupting but when my battery died i could crank but the engine won't start, all LIGHTS worked, after i got a jumped from a nice taxi driver the car started normal, ask someone to jump your car if the car start normal then it's the battery or when your car died while driving that when you look at the alternator, no matter what the battery must has some power for the cranking, does your lights radio still work or all died ? they all worked ! ok after you check your battery and alternator check the Crankshaft sensor too and fuses.
Tried to get jumped and no even a crank. My fuses are okay too.

Quick Reply: Help 06 suddenly died and starting problems...