IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HKS spark plugs.Anyone knows if they fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 09:25 AM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default HKS spark plugs.Anyone knows if they fit?

Hey guys.I ve read that HKS sc kit uses these spark plugs
HKS M40/45iL racing .
Does any of you knows if they fit to my supercharged 250?Any help will be apreciated.Thank you
Old 02-07-17, 05:03 PM
LXMEUP
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When it comes to plugs and their part numbers, for them to "fit" they need to be the right length and width of thread for your car.

That's the easy part.

What you need to make sure of is that they will have the right gap and temp range for your application - Who SC'd your car? they should be able to help
Old 02-07-17, 07:10 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Thank you for the reply.I have the LMS sc kit and the guy who is tuning it told me that i should lower the gap on my spark plugs.Boosted cars must have lowered gap spark plugs.I found these from HKS so i wanted to see if anyone knows if i should better use them instead.
Old 02-07-17, 08:40 PM
LXMEUP
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What's the gap though? .8, .6, 1.0? I've never checked what the factory gap is to begin with.

You can't really go wrong with the factory spec plugs as they'd be in a safe heat range band you can always gap them a touch smaller if needed using a a gauge.

It's the heat range you need to check though, your car might want a warmer running plug than stock.
Old 02-07-17, 10:16 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Stock spark plug has 3 electrodes, so the gap is slightly harder to compare to a single electrode spark plug type. Unless you are getting spark blowout and/or misfires I doubt you'll get a huge benefit from changing the plug type. Still, it may be worth a shot if you'd like to give it a try.

The difference between the M40/45 is the heat range.

Factory heat range is Denso 20, which is equivalent to NGK 6.

The HKS M35iL is equivalent to NGK 7/Denso 22 (1 step colder than factory).
The HKS M40iL is equivalent to NGK 8/Denso 24 (2 steps colder than factory).
The HKS M45iL is equivalent to NGK 9/Denso 27 (3 steps colder than factory).

Personally I wouldn't recommend the M45, if you aren't really having any issues now, I would suggest trying the M35iL. If for some reason you want to go 2 steps colder, the M40iL will likely work decently.

Factory plug gap is 1.1mm, finding the spec for the HKS plus is proving to be more difficult, I would expect it to be around 0.8mm.

Jeff
Old 02-08-17, 01:37 AM
PAVGR
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Stock spark plug has 3 electrodes, so the gap is slightly harder to compare to a single electrode spark plug type. Unless you are getting spark blowout and/or misfires I doubt you'll get a huge benefit from changing the plug type. Still, it may be worth a shot if you'd like to give it a try.

The difference between the M40/45 is the heat range.

Factory heat range is Denso 20, which is equivalent to NGK 6.

The HKS M35iL is equivalent to NGK 7/Denso 22 (1 step colder than factory).
The HKS M40iL is equivalent to NGK 8/Denso 24 (2 steps colder than factory).
The HKS M45iL is equivalent to NGK 9/Denso 27 (3 steps colder than factory).

Personally I wouldn't recommend the M45, if you aren't really having any issues now, I would suggest trying the M35iL. If for some reason you want to go 2 steps colder, the M40iL will likely work decently.

Factory plug gap is 1.1mm, finding the spec for the HKS plus is proving to be more difficult, I would expect it to be around 0.8mm.

Jeff
Thank you Jeff for the reply.I wanted your opinion on this.I m not sure what to do.I did change my spark plugs 1000km ago and now that I m getting my car tuned I thought I wouldn't need to change them again but as I said they told me that boosted cars should have lowered gap spark plugs from 0044 to 0028.My mechanic told me that 3 electrodes spark plugs can't get gapped so I m searching for other options.Since HKS sc kit uses these I assumed that I can use them too.I m also using AEM water meth kit with my boost.Should I do it or not?
Thank you for the reply again Jeff