IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Acura TL Type-S or IS350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 08:59 PM
Ling2IS
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Acura TL Type-S or IS350?

I know I'm asking ClubLexus lol - but should I go for a IS350 (in black) or Acura TL Type-S (in blue/possibly manual) coming from a 250? I want to hear your reasons and rationale!

Photos of my 250:

Old 02-05-17, 09:10 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

350, faster, reliable, higher quality. With some minor suspension tuning it'll out handle the TL type S.
Old 02-05-17, 09:15 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I have an is350 and my wife has a TL and although the TL is nice, I prefer my is350. We have an easier time fitting people in the back seat of her Acura but outside of that I feel like the Lexus is better. I get better gas milage, the is350 is faster, more comfortable to drive, and with winter tires gets around about the same in winter. I really don't find anything about the Acura exceptional or appealing. If you really like your is250 and just want something a little faster, go with the is350. If you were wanting to go with something a little different from your is250, maybe consider looking at the g35/g37 sedans.
Old 02-05-17, 09:16 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 322 Likes on 138 Posts

depends what u want I guess... I am getting tired of automatic kinda want a manual car back since my car b4 the IS350 was a manual... but if u want more room definitely the TL over IS and if u prefer manual, TL is the only choice unless you are gonna swap tranny on the 350.. also if u can afford it, look for a IS-F..
Old 02-05-17, 09:59 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front wheel drive vs. rear wheel drive. I love my IS350 a lot and do prefer its RWD platform. Probably nothing wrong with either choice however.
Old 02-05-17, 10:44 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've owned many 7G Accords, and two TL's including a 2008 Type-S in automatic. I prefer the IS350

I would like to one day drive a Type-S in manual. The Accord 6-speed is a lot of fun
Old 02-06-17, 11:53 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The front drive nature of the Type-S isn't noticeable unless you're pushing the car to its limit, which is something I absolutely loved about it. The TL is better in the sense that it has more leg room and more trunk space. Bone stock, it handles better than an IS350, but I doubt anyone intends to keep their car stock. The TL also visually looks much better than the IS350 in my opinion.

The IS, as I am sure you'e aware of, has better aftermarket parts especially for handling. For not much you can make it handle better than an IS-F, which is a huge plus. The transmissions are equally as terrible as one another, but the IS gearing and acceleration is miles ahead (pun intended) of the TL. Personally I thought the IS is more comfortable and I liked the interior more, but not by too much. The IS also gets better gas mileage. The IS engine also has a timing chain whereas the TL has a belt (And chains tend to be cheaper to replace, assuming it ever does need to be replaced) so that is another plus for the IS. The other good thing is I see that your 250 is modded, and you can just move the parts from one car to the next if you stick with the Lexus, so that is another plus.

Look at it this way: If you love the interior and feel of the IS and plan on spending more on parts, get the 350. If you want to try something different, get the TL. It will not disappoint. I think this was mentioned too, but look at the G37 sedan as well. It is a pretty fun car despite its weight.
Old 02-06-17, 12:25 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Neither....
Reason: you already have a nice is250. Are you really going to use the extra power the is350 offer?
Plus the interior on the is250/350 is very cheesy and cheap looking. IMO

TL: I will never recommend another Acura after there few years of transmission problems. I prefer the interior of the Acura over the Lexus.
Honestly, I don't think Acura is luxury brand.

If you want spend more money then upgrade to a better car. If not save the money and put it in your 401k or travel.

Last edited by rogers2; 02-06-17 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 12:35 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Neither....
Reason: you already have a nice is250. Are you really going to use the extra power the is350 offer?
Plus the interior on the is250/350 is very cheesy and cheap looking. IMO

TL: I will never recommend another Acura after there few years of transmission problems. I prefer the interior of the Acura over the Lexus.
Honestly, I don't think Acura is luxury brand.

If you want spend more money then upgrade to a better car. If not save the money and put in your 401k or travel.
It's hard not to use 350 power since 250 has no power whatsoever. And all three, 250, 350, and some TLs have transmission problems

If you want manual, pick a different car. RWD IS350 is much better then TL though
Old 02-06-17, 03:02 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
It's hard not to use 350 power since 250 has no power whatsoever. And all three, 250, 350, and some TLs have transmission problems

If you want manual, pick a different car. RWD IS350 is much better then TL though

Definitely right about the power. 250 is a joke, constantly downshifting anytime you put your foot down to pass someone or speed up a little to merge.

The transmission thing though? Can you elaborate? Personally I haven't seen any issues with the Transmissions in the ISX50's. However the TL is known to dump the auto transmission as a regular problem. You have to replace the pressure sensors in the trans every 50,000mi as regular maintenance.(I actually still have a set of sensors in my desk here from my last TL).

This all boils down to a simple matter of whether you like RWD or FWD better. And which one looks better to you. Also you can't get ventilated seats in the TL. I've had both, and hands down I prefer the Lexus. However the RWD sucks for winter, that's one thing I'd like about the TL. If you do get the TL, make sure you get the Manual an not an Auto based on the issues with the Auto trans.
Old 02-06-17, 03:38 PM
LXMEUP
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As an Aussie, I've had the IS350 and the Accord Euro (TS-X I think you guys call it)..

The IS350 hand down.

The Honda was awesome for servicing costs and reliability, but over-all performance and build quality you can't beat the IS, it's in a league of it's own.

When it comes to reliability, I've only had the IS for a couple months, so I can't really comment too much on it so far.
Old 02-06-17, 05:05 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Viktimize
Definitely right about the power. 250 is a joke, constantly downshifting anytime you put your foot down to pass someone or speed up a little to merge.

The transmission thing though? Can you elaborate? Personally I haven't seen any issues with the Transmissions in the ISX50's. However the TL is known to dump the auto transmission as a regular problem. You have to replace the pressure sensors in the trans every 50,000mi as regular maintenance.(I actually still have a set of sensors in my desk here from my last TL).

This all boils down to a simple matter of whether you like RWD or FWD better. And which one looks better to you. Also you can't get ventilated seats in the TL. I've had both, and hands down I prefer the Lexus. However the RWD sucks for winter, that's one thing I'd like about the TL. If you do get the TL, make sure you get the Manual an not an Auto based on the issues with the Auto trans.
One of the transmissions thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nsmission.html

Seems to be very common on all IS models and happens after 120-130k miles due to "lifetime" WS fluid going bad
Old 02-06-17, 06:41 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

The TL type-s handling is much better than Lexus IS and any of other Toyota cars, IS350 is not that faster than Type-s TL, my sister TL does not vibrate or wobble at 120k-ph - + 65mph+ , all of my Lexus feels vibrate or wandering wobbling and weird when hit 65mph + , don't quote me until you drive both car , me and my sister switching car almost every week, even Nissan Cube suspension and steering feels better than IS250 , don't get me wrong i like both TL and IS but i gotta say "Toyota/Lexus" Steering and suspension SUCKS !
Old 02-07-17, 06:25 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
The TL type-s handling is much better than Lexus IS and any of other Toyota cars, IS350 is not that faster than Type-s TL, my sister TL does not vibrate or wobble at 120k-ph - + 65mph+ , all of my Lexus feels vibrate or wandering wobbling and weird when hit 65mph + , don't quote me until you drive both car , me and my sister switching car almost every week, even Nissan Cube suspension and steering feels better than IS250 , don't get me wrong i like both TL and IS but i gotta say "Toyota/Lexus" Steering and suspension SUCKS !
What's with you and spamming all the threads with "Toyota/Lexus" Steering and suspension SUCKS!"??? Below are a few of your direct quotes from other threads.

Steering and suspension sucks for Toyota/Lexus
Mustang GT, Camaro SS .Audi S5 BMW M Series, i'm sick of Toyota/Lexus Steering and Suspension , they sucks !
If you don't like it, don't whine about it, fix it. You'll be surprised how well the suspension and steering feels with the right OEM parts. Also, give the newer 4GS350 and 3IS350 F-Sports a test drive as they are class leaders in handling.

In regards to which is faster between the Acura TL Type-S vs the IS350, there is actually a significant difference between 0-60 and 1/4 mile times:

0-60:
IS350- 4.9 secs
TL Type-S- 5.7 secs

1/4mile:
IS350- 13.5 secs
TL Type-S- 14.3 secs

Source: Road and Track direct comparison.

Old 02-07-17, 01:23 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
What's with you and spamming all the threads with "Toyota/Lexus" Steering and suspension SUCKS!"??? Below are a few of your direct quotes from other threads.

If you don't like it, don't whine about it, fix it. You'll be surprised how well the suspension and steering feels with the right OEM parts. Also, give the newer 4GS350 and 3IS350 F-Sports a test drive as they are class leaders in handling.

In regards to which is faster between the Acura TL Type-S vs the IS350, there is actually a significant difference between 0-60 and 1/4 mile times:

0-60:
IS350- 4.9 secs
TL Type-S- 5.7 secs

1/4mile:
IS350- 13.5 secs
TL Type-S- 14.3 secs

Source: Road and Track direct comparison.

Lol. Facts tend to speak louder than opinion. The IS350 is a little sloppy on handling, but a set of F-sport sway bars would clean that up a lot. In any sense, the TL is certainly not miles ahead of the IS IMO. And it always has that weird FWD feel where you're half understeering in every turn.

Quick Reply: Acura TL Type-S or IS350?