IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Switching from 87 to 91 Octane Gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 12:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^AFAIK, the tax structure is different on marine fuel than automotive fuel. Though I don't have a boat, it's my understanding that boats purchase their fuel at gas stations located on bodies of water. You could also fill up at a regular gas station, I guess. As far as E10, read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethano..._United_States

My truck will burn E85, though I never use it, it provides more power at the expensive of MPG.

There's a thread about E85 in the ISF forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nd-of-e85.html

Lou

Lou
Old 01-31-17, 01:09 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

OP, consider disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to "reset" the fuel injection computer.

Be aware that you will need to reset radio stations and possibly "initialize" the auto open/close
function of the windows/sunroof. Initialize by holding the button while each panel fully opens
and then hold again through out the closing movement. Repeat if necessary till they travel
on their own.
Old 01-31-17, 01:56 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^AFAIK, the tax structure is different on marine fuel than automotive fuel. Though I don't have a boat, it's my understanding that boats purchase their fuel at gas stations located on bodies of water. You could also fill up at a regular gas station, I guess. As far as E10, read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethano..._United_States

My truck will burn E85, though I never use it, it provides more power at the expensive of MPG.

There's a thread about E85 in the ISF forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nd-of-e85.html

Lou

Lou
Definitely not recommended to run ethanol fuel in a marine engine.

Ethanol contains less energy per volume than gasoline. That's why your MPG goes to crap, like I mentioned in an earlier post.

I'm pretty well versed in gasoline and ethanol as it's my field of work. I was just surprised to hear you guys can't get good fuel in the entire U.S. That's unfortunate.
Old 01-31-17, 02:38 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Viktimize
Costco just buys their fuel from refineries like everyone else. Shell, Esso, Petro, etc. But when purchasing raw gasoline, they don't the maufactures additive pack. Are you saying Costco has their own additive pack they add locally at their stations? That would be news to me.

What I am saying is Costco adds 5 times the recommended amount of additives to the fuel (all grades) they buy above EPA Standards. Gasoline is distributed Regionally since different US Regions require different additives depending on weather/season. You don't get one standard blend for the whole country. So lets say a Regional Distributor in TX (NUSTAR) will give Costco a Blend with 5 times the recommended additives that are mandated by the EPA. That's why Costco is considered a Top Tier Fuel where other Gas/ Gas Stations might not carry that certification. At filling depots gas is blended during fill. So each tanker can be customized for the customer.
Old 01-31-17, 02:43 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Why would he buy an IS350 only to put lower octane fuel in there to have less power...? Squeeze all the power out of the IS350 as you can! Go 91!
I was referring to running lower Octane. He will make less power running it. With higher Octane he will make more power. Maybe his parents weren't racing the car or didn't care if it had only 295 HP instead of 306 HP.

I suggest he run a higher Octane since that is what is recommended. Costco in my area sells 94 Octane for $2.15 a gallon. Where Shell is selling for over $2.29.
Old 01-31-17, 02:56 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Originally Posted by Mrfix
What I am saying is Costco adds 5 times the recommended amount of additives to the fuel (all grades) they buy above EPA Standards. Gasoline is distributed Regionally since different US Regions require different additives depending on weather/season. You don't get one standard blend for the whole country. So lets say a Regional Distributor in TX (NUSTAR) will give Costco a Blend with 5 times the recommended additives that are mandated by the EPA. That's why Costco is considered a Top Tier Fuel where other Gas/ Gas Stations might not carry that certification. At filling depots gas is blended during fill. So each tanker can be customized for the customer.
maybe the terminology you're trying to use is what's making it hard to understand? An additive is something that is specific to a manufacturer like Shell or Esso. It's the reason they charge more for their fuel. The government has requirements for certain specifications that fuel needs to meet, so it can be certified to sell it. Gasoline is blended out of different components, and the ratio of those components is what will determine your specifications and properties. For example in winter, they put a bunch of butane and junk in the gas to maintain a lower flash point and different RVP so you don't get hard starting at cold temps.

So so when you say Costco adds 5 times the additive, I'm unsure what you mean exactly? They can't add components to the gas or it would change the specs it met during certification. And if they are purchasing a manufacturer specific additive pack, who do they buy from, shell, esso, bp, etc?
Old 01-31-17, 03:03 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

lol i must agree with Viktimize , why the heck you're driving a Lexus and you CHEAP on gas ? while Lexus required Premium Fuel Only ? use at least Premium or Top one or drive a Civic and a Corolla, 99-03 Toyota Solara 1mz-fe Engine required Premium fuel as well until they changed to VVT-i , but back in the day nobody cares because the Carbon issue wasn't there for most of Toyota/Lexus , well if you've had a BMW or Mercedes and you fillup with regular Gas lol do i have to say more ? this Guy owner of this thread lucky because its a 350 if his parents put regular gas in the 250 for 10 years lol.

No offend but SOme people are weird, they drives a Luxury car and they cheap on everything, cheap food cheap clothes cheap gas, i had a friend he bought a BMW but there is always a "Pack of Instant noodle in his trunk" and COSTCO gas is crap.
Old 01-31-17, 03:06 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

maybe the terminology you're trying to use is what's making it hard to understand? An additive is something that is specific to a manufacturer like Shell or Esso. It's the reason they charge more for their fuel. The government has requirements for certain specifications that fuel needs to meet, so it can be certified to sell it. Gasoline is blended out of different components, and the ratio of those components is what will determine your specifications and properties. For example in winter, they put a bunch of butane and junk in the gas to maintain a lower flash point and different RVP so you don't get hard starting at cold temps.

So so when you say Costco adds 5 times the additive, I'm unsure what you mean exactly? They can't add components to the gas or it would change the specs it met during certification. And if they are purchasing a manufacturer specific additive pack, who do they buy from, shell, esso, bp, etc?
I know eh ! Mrfix might knows problem with cars but the way he talked about gas, i don't think he knows what hes talking about.
Old 01-31-17, 07:16 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Costco requests the Blender to give them a top tier fuel that contains 5 times the additives that are mandated by the EPA. For some reason your stuck on "Costco adds" as if they are the ones who physically add it. I thought everyone would assume that "Costco adds" / "Costco requests" the Blender/Distributor to add the additives to the fuel they sell.

Additives are not that specific. DOW, BASF, Lubrizol, etc all make additives for Shell, EXXON, ESSO, Petro Canada, CHEVRON, etc. Shell or Exxon may tweak a certain formula and create an additive pack that may contain a molecule that is proprietary to their blend (think Tech Tron that is basically a Molecule/Additive that CHEVRON created).

Here is a company that is one of the main/largest when it comes to additive packs. They create them for everyone. I had a chance to tour their facility a few of years ago (family day) and it was very interesting. They had engines from all the major manufacturers (GM, FORD, etc) that weren't even available (basically prototypes) for testing Fuels and Lubricants.

https://www.lubrizol.com/en/Lubrican...Fuel-Additives

So no, Costco doesn't physically add anything but asks their blender/supplier to add what they need to be a top tier fuel.
Old 01-31-17, 09:04 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Costco requests the Blender to give them a top tier fuel that contains 5 times the additives that are mandated by the EPA. For some reason your stuck on "Costco adds" as if they are the ones who physically add it. I thought everyone would assume that "Costco adds" / "Costco requests" the Blender/Distributor to add the additives to the fuel they sell.

Additives are not that specific. DOW, BASF, Lubrizol, etc all make additives for Shell, EXXON, ESSO, Petro Canada, CHEVRON, etc. Shell or Exxon may tweak a certain formula and create an additive pack that may contain a molecule that is proprietary to their blend (think Tech Tron that is basically a Molecule/Additive that CHEVRON created).

Here is a company that is one of the main/largest when it comes to additive packs. They create them for everyone. I had a chance to tour their facility a few of years ago (family day) and it was very interesting. They had engines from all the major manufacturers (GM, FORD, etc) that weren't even available (basically prototypes) for testing Fuels and Lubricants.

https://www.lubrizol.com/en/Lubrican...Fuel-Additives

So no, Costco doesn't physically add anything but asks their blender/supplier to add what they need to be a top tier fuel.

I wasn't stuck on Costco adding anything. I'll take your word for
it if that's how crazy things function down there as far as manufactures not actually blending their own fuels. But mainly it just seems strange that Costco would run an operation where the consumer can never rely on a consistent product. One week you get Shell brand, next it's Esso, next it's BP. That's most certainly not how Costco does it in Canada. Interesting to hear.
Old 01-31-17, 10:30 PM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
OP, consider disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to "reset" the fuel injection computer.

Be aware that you will need to reset radio stations and possibly "initialize" the auto open/close
function of the windows/sunroof. Initialize by holding the button while each panel fully opens
and then hold again through out the closing movement. Repeat if necessary till they travel
on their own.
My auto windows actually stopped working. Which button do I hold? On the key fob?
Old 02-01-17, 08:16 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Definitely not recommended to run ethanol fuel in a marine engine.
Read the last portion of this link:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...nol-Fuel-Myths

E10 seems to be OK

Lou
Old 02-01-17, 08:32 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by laovo
My auto windows actually stopped working. Which button do I hold? On the key fob?
Roll the window down half way using the switch on each door. Then roll it up, holding the switch until you hear a beep. After it beeps, you will notice the green light on the switch quit blinking. After doing this to each window individually they all should work using the driver door controls.