IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replacement Brakes - Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 12:09 PM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Figured it out: US vs. Canadian spec rotors: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...009-is250.html

Jeff Lange's post highlights all the details.
Old 02-01-17, 05:13 PM
pewterss
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Well I came on here because I am starting to hear a slight squeal from my rear brakes. I had the fronts replaced by Lexus and $448 dollars later I drove home. All they did was replace the fronts and cut the current rotors. uughhh.
Anyway, I was looking for brakes and needed some specs so I can buy parts from Lexus. I know of a dealership that has good prices. BUUUTTT I saw this post and just called Speed Freaks but I think there closed.
Ill try again and hopefully someone picks up otherwise I will try tmrw AM. Great post, thanks.
Old 02-01-17, 07:58 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Akebono and EBC slotted. Happy with the way the car stops.
Old 02-01-17, 08:08 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by pewterss
Well I came on here because I am starting to hear a slight squeal from my rear brakes. I had the fronts replaced by Lexus and $448 dollars later I drove home. All they did was replace the fronts and cut the current rotors. uughhh.
Anyway, I was looking for brakes and needed some specs so I can buy parts from Lexus. I know of a dealership that has good prices. BUUUTTT I saw this post and just called Speed Freaks but I think there closed.
Ill try again and hopefully someone picks up otherwise I will try tmrw AM. Great post, thanks.
Well, if you want OEM pads, Amazon and eBay generally have the best prices on them. Believe I paid $48 for the front pads and 47 for the rears and $6 shipping on Amazon from Bell Lexus. That, or MyLParts with the CL5 discount code.
The following users liked this post:
pewterss (02-03-17)
Old 02-03-17, 11:56 AM
ponteley
Pit Crew

Akebono ProAct + Centric Premium
Old 02-03-17, 12:27 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by Zmon
Well, if you want OEM pads, Amazon and eBay generally have the best prices on them. Believe I paid $48 for the front pads and 47 for the rears and $6 shipping on Amazon from Bell Lexus. That, or MyLParts with the CL5 discount code.
Bell Lexus, I will have to check them out then see what the deal is there. Thanks. I'll prolly still call the freaks and see what they have/offer as well.
I do kind of want OEM. The rear brakes I have, got 80K on them. I dont think any aftermarket pads would last that long
Old 02-03-17, 03:00 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Can I even trust ebay brand? http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-D...dYUa~X&vxp=mtr

other than that I got this, seems good? Anyone know if I can get it any cheaper?
Old 02-03-17, 05:09 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I personally wouldn't be able to trust an eBay brand for something as crucial as my braking system but I could be wrong.
Old 02-03-17, 07:36 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aspect
I personally wouldn't be able to trust an eBay brand for something as crucial as my braking system but I could be wrong.
Same here, but I hear good things about Brake Motive, and it looks like a few people have used them on here. Would like inputs
Old 02-03-17, 10:42 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by Aspect
Not sure if I would trust that as well. BUT I did find Bell Lexus on ebay and they have Lexus OEM stuff for great prices. Check it out, http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-FA...oAAOSwGvhUJcZW
I was able to find them thanks to a previous post by zmon (Thanks) Also I tried calling speedfreaks today 3x, but it rang, voice system picked up and directed me to leave a VM. I just hung up all 3x and decided to try OEM. OEM is the best stuff, i mean I did get 82K out of my rear brakes. :0
Old 02-11-17, 02:35 PM
Skier76
Driver

Great advice here. Thanks everyone. Went with the Centric rotors and the Akebono ACT pads. I've got a few hundred miles on them and all is well. Good pedal feel and when you really lay into them, they bite in nicely. Thanks for the advice. Rock Auto had good pricing and shipping. I'll be ordering the rears next.
Old 08-24-17, 10:09 AM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ling2IS
I'm running on StopTech slotted rotors and Hawk Street pads. Not the most budget friendly setup, but if you want something with a little more bite without swapping to 350 brakes, this will do. On a scale of 1-10 on brake dust, I'd say it's about a 6.

I actually thinking about getting the stoptech slotted rotors with stoptech pads. Hows your combination working out? Does it squeal at all?
Old 08-25-17, 10:41 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Which StopTech pads? PASS on the StopTech Streets; you'd be better off with Akebono ceramics. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-27-17, 11:31 PM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Which StopTech pads? PASS on the StopTech Streets; you'd be better off with Akebono ceramics. Ask me how I know.
if you insist, how do you know? I was also thinking about getting some Project Mus.
Old 08-28-17, 11:10 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The StopTech Streets are not great in any conditions, but good in all. Just a good, all-around pad. But from someone like me that demands a greater initial bite and less fading, the Akebono ceramics are the ticket! It's probably the most highly praised pad for our 2IS models on this site. Once I'm done with mine, I'm going back to the OEM high-friction compound pads and will deal with the brake dust.

Quick Reply: Replacement Brakes - Pads and Rotors