IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Selling 2009 LExus IS 250 :( Advice Carmax

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 11:47 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Selling 2009 LExus IS 250 :( Advice Carmax

Hi Guys! We plan on selling the wife's 2009 Lexus IS 250.

My question to ask you guys if what are your thoughts on the process?

Many people are saying to use carmax. What are your thoughts on this?

Her car has lots of road rash, scratches that are noticeable, wheel rashes, etc. However, the general car is in great condition.

Should we use car max or privately sell the car?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-17, 12:09 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've sold 3 cars to carmax in the past 18 years and I like this service they provide. Yes, I could have gotten maybe 1k or more if I had sold it myself, but for the hassle, of having to list it online, arrange test drives, going down to the dmv to transfer title, etc, it was well worth it. I would say get a quote from them then see what your car is selling for online and make a decision. If you plan to purchase another car from another dealer other than carmax, you might want to take your quote to that other dealer and have them match it for a trade in. The reason for this is that you will not pay tax on the amount of your trade in. Just my 2cent.
The following users liked this post:
aznkorboi (01-26-17)
Old 01-26-17, 12:15 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Agreed. After a miserable 6 week relationship with a 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo, I had to sell the car. Just did not work for me. I went to Carmax and they offered me a good deal, and a better deal if I bought a car. So, I found my 2005 LS and did the paperwork.
All in all, they treated me pretty well. And like SQ said, it was just easier this way.
The following users liked this post:
aznkorboi (01-26-17)
Old 01-26-17, 12:26 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys!! I think I will go through car max based on what you guys said..

I might even try to go to the toyota dealer and see if they can offer that price. We want to get her a prius prime for her new job commute.

Quick question:

I have a few dents, rock chips, scratches on the car..

Will this reduce my value by alot? Is it worth it for me to get it fixed?

Old 01-26-17, 12:28 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

If it were me, I'd find a wheel dr. have the rash removed on the wheels = 400 bucks. and I'd pay a few hundred to have it detailed. Sell it privately.

I've always received thousands more selling it privately. It's not even close
Old 01-26-17, 02:36 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

not worth it to fix it in my opinion. yeah spend $400 but you will not recoup that for sure selling it to the dealer or CarMax. private sales are where most money is recouped but it's not for everyone. CarMax takes the car at almost half of what you can get privately but for most this is worth the hassle (or lack thereof).

I've sold a car (truck) to CarMax and their offer is good for 7 days so it's worth a shot to get an offer, weigh that with the private party or trade in value, then decide. good luck!
Old 01-26-17, 03:04 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I have to agree with MikeyK02, selling privately has always worked out better. If your buying a car from carmax then that might make more sense for them because they will make up for it on the new car. Carmax will turn around and send it to auction. But typically dealers give anywhere from 30-50 % less than the vehicle can be sold privately.

With a little investigation and some online tools you can generally figure out what kind of deal your getting. But look you know what Carmax is giving you . Price it for $1500 more and see if you can sell it privately. If you can't sell it in a week or two go to carmax.
Old 01-26-17, 04:03 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mrfix
I have to agree with MikeyK02, selling privately has always worked out better. If your buying a car from carmax then that might make more sense for them because they will make up for it on the new car. Carmax will turn around and send it to auction. But typically dealers give anywhere from 30-50 % less than the vehicle can be sold privately.

With a little investigation and some online tools you can generally figure out what kind of deal your getting. But look you know what Carmax is giving you . Price it for $1500 more and see if you can sell it privately. If you can't sell it in a week or two go to carmax.
That's another thing. Check online and see what that car is selling for. 9/10 dealers have them marked up. You post your clean car with less miles privately...gets sold quick. Even if it sold in a month...getting an extra 2K out of it is worth it

but that's just my opinion
Old 01-26-17, 04:10 PM
flynryan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sell it privately. If its going for say $12k Id bet carmax would offer you $9500-$10. If you have the time and can deal with no-shows and some stupid people sometimes you are going to be able to get probably $2k more
Old 01-26-17, 05:19 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys! SO I checked edmunds and KBB and they priced the car at around 9,000. 10,000 if I sell privately.

I was doing some research and people were saying that you lose about $1,000 selling through car max but it's worth it for the hassle.

What hassle are we talking about? I've never sold a car before.

Do I list through craiglist? Also, do I have to go to the DMV and such? What about the buyer? DO I ask for cash only? Do I let them test drive the car?

Do I have to go to the DMV and say that I sold the car? Do I give them the bill of sale and do I just give him the pink slip?

This is all so new to me. Thanks in advance everyone
Old 01-26-17, 05:24 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Thanks guys! SO I checked edmunds and KBB and they priced the car at around 9,000. 10,000 if I sell privately.

I was doing some research and people were saying that you lose about $1,000 selling through car max but it's worth it for the hassle.

What hassle are we talking about? I've never sold a car before.

Do I list through craiglist? Also, do I have to go to the DMV and such? What about the buyer? DO I ask for cash only? Do I let them test drive the car?

Do I have to go to the DMV and say that I sold the car? Do I give them the bill of sale and do I just give him the pink slip?

This is all so new to me. Thanks in advance everyone
Hassle meaning the stuff you just listed, test drives, lowballers, showing the car etc

Carmax will handle pretty much all of it. You're taking a bit of a loss, for that, and also that they will add a few grand on what they sell it for.

You would need to create a bill of sale, for you and the buyer, if you have title in hand you go with them to the DMV (or a bank) to have the transfer notarized. that's it.
Old 01-26-17, 06:02 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've owned many cars and always sold privately (Craigslist). Almost always a smooth quick transaction with minimal paperwork. Never a hassle if the buyer has the funds and my notarized title is ready to be handed over
Old 01-26-17, 06:39 PM
flynryan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can take care of the Notice of Release of Liability right online before they even drive off with the car atleast here in Ca. Im leary about taking cash because it can be fake and anyone can print out a fake money order. Id go to the bank with the buyer with the cash or they can transfer the money to your bank while you are there with the teller. I give them the pink and a bill of sale. Also here in Ca it is the sellers responsibility to provide a smog cert.
Old 01-26-17, 07:20 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Carmax always gives more than any other dealer no matter what. Carmax offered my ex $2900 for her 94 Honda Accord Wagon in 2005. Then we went to a Honda dealer who offered $2100. I told them about the Carmax offer. I was like if you can bet them by $50 I'll sell it here. They got offended and basically said sell it to Carmax. We went back after 7 days and they dropped the price to $2600, we sold it. A few weeks later, I find it online with them trying to sell for $4900. True story bro. She was leaving the country and didn't want the hassle of selling privately.

As for most of your scraps, that'll buff right out with good rubbing compound. If you see white, you can buff. If it's black, that means the paints gone. And that white blob in second pic is bird crap you can clean off.

While its true you get more selling privately, do you have time to take off work, go to DMV, make sure money isn't fake, low ballers, no shows etc? If you don't and willing to loose 1-2k, sell to Carmax.

Last edited by istarzan; 01-26-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 08:57 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In some rare cases I feel that carmax offers more than what one could have gotten from selling privately. My friend sold a beaten up Nissan Murano for $5500. Most people would have lowballed him based on the condition. Needless to say he took the money and ran.

Quick Reply: Selling 2009 LExus IS 250 :( Advice Carmax