IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rev Match Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 05:47 PM
belac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rev Match Downshifting

Not looking to start a debate, just have a quick question I can't seem to wrap my head around.

I completely understand these cars do not auto rev-match downshift and fully understand how the transmission works in manual mode with the paddle shifters.
What I'm curious about is when you blip the throttle when downshifting to match the current revs, is this bad for the transmission and what exactly is happening?

Stupid question, I know; however, I know next to nothing about automatic transmissions and how they work. I've tried to do some research, but haven't found much online.
In that split second between shifts does the transmission go into nuetral and it's pretty much the same as rev matching in a manual car or is something still engaged and it's slipping or what.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-18-17, 05:52 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Idk but i do it sometimes just for fun.

edit: ive been doing it to my rental car which is a 2016 hyundai elantra it upshifts faster than our lexus but it doesnt hold the gear, it will automatically change. However, i feel like the downshift is the same as ours. So i blip the throttle right after i downshift and it goes smoothly that it feels like a legit rev match downshift. Btw ive driven a fair amount of manual cars so i know how to rev-match

Last edited by metaleckz; 01-18-17 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-18-17, 06:17 PM
UnderCover
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure either but I'm down for a discussion...

I saw a video on here with some guy Rev matching with a blip but I couldn't get it to work at all. My limited knowledge of an automatic transmission tells me that since the TQ converter is basically 2 pinwheels pushing fluid, the transmission will shift the gear down and then the output side of the TQ converter will "spin up" the input side which causes the Revs to go up. It's technically slipping that entire time, it has to be because nothing else will bring the revs up since it doesn't Rev Match.

In practice, I think the transmission downshifts first, and let's the wheels spin up the engine until the RPM matches and then the TQ locks. I feel this is true because if you screw up the blip (which I always do) it thuds pretty hard because it's catching the Rev on the way up.

Either way... Probably damaging something (okay not damaging but wearing down faster) with the blip unless you blip it less than the RPM of the lower gear you've selected.

This all being said this is my first automatic car, but driving stick for 10 years has taught me alot. I'm also an avid enthusiast in DIY projects so I've gotten my fair share of up close and personal look at transmissions.