IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A/C and Radio Screens and Buttons Not Responsive

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 04:33 PM
jeengy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C and Radio Screens and Buttons Not Responsive

Hello, I have searched around and found some info for this problem but no definitive answer for how to proceed if all the related fuses are replaced.

I will try to describe what is going on to the best of my ability:
The top screen turns on but only shows a line across the bottom.
The bottom screen does not turn on at all.
Audio still works, and all the controls below the line of buttons with audio control, pselect, ASL and mute work.
Security light blinks normally.

I replaced the following fuses even though they all looked fine:
RAD 3, ACC, and ECU-IG under glovebox
RAD 1, RAD 2, DOME, and MPXB on passenger side under hood

I even did the reset where you take the negative off the battery and take out the EFI and ETCS fuses for a few minutes.

Originally Posted by 08lexus350
hey guy i some what figured out my problem, i replaced the temp ecu on the passenger side under dash, its a blue box., everything works and all buttons are responsive now., but i have no air coming out, doesnt matter what speed or mode i set it, no air, seems like the blower motor is dead, any idea ??? thanks
I don't really know what to do with the info above.

I am really desperate at this point because before I did the fuse reset my A/C was stuck on MAX without me able to change it, but now it is stuck on OFF and its hot af here in Texas.

Please let me know if you have any info, thanks!
Chris

Edit: uploaded the wrong pic, notice there is power getting to the top screen but the bottom and buttons don't seem to have any.
Attached Thumbnails A/C and Radio Screens and Buttons Not Responsive-img_20170117_190322.jpg  

Last edited by jeengy; 01-17-17 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 07:59 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Are none of the buttons light up? There is a fuse on the driver side fuse box as well. If all the fuses are good there too, I would open it to see if any connection is loose.
Old 01-17-17, 08:34 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Since it has gone black it would indicate that it lost power. I would take a look in the owners manual and check all the possible fuses that could cause that.
Old 01-18-17, 04:35 AM
jeengy
Driver School Candidate

I checked every single fuse in every single box and didn't find one. Since you can't always see a blown fuse, I will try too look into other possible culprit fuses to replace. Any leads on which ones? Also where would I start to see if any connection is loose? Would that be taking out the whole center or is it closer to the fuses?
Old 01-18-17, 05:38 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Get a multi meter and check each fuse for continuity. If your brave get a little wire and jump each lead in the fuse box to see if you can determine the one that is bad (if one is bad). You still might have a short somewhere or a wiring problem. I'm curious if there is a fuse in the back of the display console somewhere (part of the unit itself). I suppose you can get a good wiring diagram and just find the wires that power the unit and check them.

Electrical issue is the biggest pain in the butt. They can take a long time to trace (if that is what's wrong).

Here is a thread with a similar problem

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...-screen-blank/

Here is another.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...vac-issue.html

Here is another interesting one.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...work-fine.html

It turns out to be the backup camera ecu (I know it's not your exact vehicle but it might shed some light on your problem.

Over a year later, I have solved this issue! There is a television camera ecu in the trunk; the signals for both the backup camera and the navigation unit pass through the television camera ecu (part # 86792-50040). The constant power wire going to this module was showing 0 volts when I tested it on the multimeter; it should be 10-14v at all times (even when the car is off). Thus, the unit that sends both signals (backup camera and navigation) to the display was not powering up. Rather than trace the wire harness through hell and back, I simply spliced into this wire at the connector and ran it to the constant power from the fuse box located in the trunk, and it works perfectly! I was able to diagnose this by subscribing to techinfo.toyota.com for 48 hours ($10 I think) and downloaded all electrical pdf's for the navigation and radio. I can post pictures of the fix if anybody is interested. With a few pics, a novice could fix this in a short amount of time. Anyways, I hope this helps.
Old 01-19-17, 11:54 AM
Oakey
Driver School Candidate

Had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Pulled out the radio and climate control,unplugged everything and reconnected it back.. It started working. hope this helps.
Old 01-19-17, 05:09 PM
jeengy
Driver School Candidate

I will definitely try that, did you do anything else in addition to just unplugging and replugging everything?
Old 01-19-17, 06:03 PM
Oakey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jeengy
I will definitely try that, did you do anything else in addition to just unplugging and replugging everything?
Checked all the fuses. That's about it.
Old 01-19-17, 10:46 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

i've been through it.
One of my customer car has similar problem. The screen is working fine but the A/C and all the control is not working (properly) and some what very slow responsive. Of course we did checked all the fuse and all good.
Here what i did:
1. take out the whole unit, disconnect all the connection.
2. plug it back in and turn on ACC (everything is working normal but will be back same stage as before -screen show up but nothing work- when you start the engine)
3. Reset the ECU by removing the negative terminal.
Everything is working normal.

I don't know about your case but my customer did the ECU reset and didn't wait for system initialize completed causing this problem.
Old 01-20-17, 12:47 PM
jeengy
Driver School Candidate

I am about to pop this thing out and try, thanks so much for the suggestions. I will report back.
Old 01-20-17, 01:28 PM
jeengy
Driver School Candidate

No luck, unplugged everything on the back of the unit, unplugged negative on battery for 5 mins, looks exactly the same. Top screen with a line at the button, bottom screen no power. Can I bother you guys for which fuses you did replace? I'm sure I have replaced like 5 or 6 and checked them all but perhaps I will just replace the ones you had success with if I haven't already.
Old 11-19-19, 01:23 AM
Tiffany702
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeengy- Did you ever find the problem? Mine is doing the EXACT same thing. Thanks!
Old 11-20-19, 11:38 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Try reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes to see if it helps.
Old 11-20-19, 09:54 PM
Tiffany702
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I did replace several fuses & unplug the battery. No luck. I guess next step is to pull out the console & check all the connections. I don’t really feel confident doing that though. I’ll check out some videos & see if I can do it. Otherwise I’ll need to take it to the dealership.

My issue is exactly as the original poster’s description & picture. It would do it occasionally (like 1x every 6 months) 9 years ago when I first bought the car (2 years old) but would turn on after a few minutes or next time I started the car. I reported in when it was still under warranty but it happened so seldom they never saw it. I’m hoping there’s a record of that & I might be able to get it covered.

Then it got worse this year & finally, it’s been broken now for over a month solid. It’s getting cold & I’ll need the heater & defrost! Just as the OP said, mine was stuck on a/c but after checking the fuses there’s no air coming through the vents. The radio works. I can change the volume & station with the ***** but none of the buttons work. CD player works because it’s on the bottom section.

so it’s mainly the climate control & the screen to the radio.
Old 11-21-19, 06:17 PM
eframsal
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried getting a used replacement unit. The non-Nav units are pretty cheap

Quick Reply: A/C and Radio Screens and Buttons Not Responsive