IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2IS aftmarket HU options/suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-17, 10:27 AM
roshedomv2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2IS aftmarket HU options/suggestions?

I have a base non-nav HU and I looking at the options for an aftermarket HU setup, but I didn't want to pay $1000+ for a custom setup. I was looking at a few things like the scosche dash kit:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LS2...c&awug=9010848

The only issues with this is that it's kind of pricey, as well as I think I will lose the center speaker in the rear deck as well as steering wheel controls. Another option was the flyaudio or thonzer OEM aftermarket HU that looks like the stock OEM nav unit in the 2IS. But I can't find a legitimate site to purchase this plus they're software issues with this Unit. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for a aftermarket HU setup? Are there any other options besides these two I listed? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-17, 10:48 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by roshedomv2
I have a base non-nav HU and I looking at the options for an aftermarket HU setup, but I didn't want to pay $1000+ for a custom setup. I was looking at a few things like the scosche dash kit:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LS2151B/Scosche-LS2151B-Dash-Kit-Black.html?tp=3486&awkw=207616501465&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=106648189225&awdv=c&awug=9010848

The only issues with this is that it's kind of pricey, as well as I think I will lose the center speaker in the rear deck as well as steering wheel controls. Another option was the flyaudio or thonzer OEM aftermarket HU that looks like the stock OEM nav unit in the 2IS. But I can't find a legitimate site to purchase this plus they're software issues with this Unit. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for a aftermarket HU setup? Are there any other options besides these two I listed? Thanks in advance.
The scosche unit lists that it has the steering wheel control harness. Can't comment on the sub in the deck, it doesn't even mention it. Don't see why you would lose it though... You're pretty much stuck with the Scosche dash kit though if you want any old aftermarket HU. As for the FlyAudio and Thronzer units... Check here in the Classifieds, or keep an eye on eBay. Alibaba may have them too.

If you want to go the OEM route, I know there's a guy on eBay who makes a custom wiring harness for non-nav guys to install the OEM nav in their cars. Bit pricey though. As for the OEM unit itself, sometimes people list them here on the classifieds for a relatively low price. Otherwise, eBay or your local junkyard. The few I've seen on eBay are about $5-800 depending on the seller. It absolutely needs to be an 06-09 navigation otherwise that harness won't work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-IS250-IS350-IS-F-GPS-NAVIGATION-CUSTOM-MADE-WRING-HARNESS-/251052866099?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
Old 01-14-17, 05:11 PM
roshedomv2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zmon
The scosche unit lists that it has the steering wheel control harness. Can't comment on the sub in the deck, it doesn't even mention it. Don't see why you would lose it though... You're pretty much stuck with the Scosche dash kit though if you want any old aftermarket HU. As for the FlyAudio and Thronzer units... Check here in the Classifieds, or keep an eye on eBay. Alibaba may have them too.

If you want to go the OEM route, I know there's a guy on eBay who makes a custom wiring harness for non-nav guys to install the OEM nav in their cars. Bit pricey though. As for the OEM unit itself, sometimes people list them here on the classifieds for a relatively low price. Otherwise, eBay or your local junkyard. The few I've seen on eBay are about $5-800 depending on the seller. It absolutely needs to be an 06-09 navigation otherwise that harness won't work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-IS250-...25.m3641.l6368

Oh ok. Thanks. I think I'm gonna go with scosche dash kit. It looks more compatible than I thought.
Old 01-14-17, 06:42 PM
JBLUR
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a picture from lexus facebook group of the scosche unit installed. I have my kit and radio ready to be installed sometime this week as well.
Old 01-14-17, 07:10 PM
LXMEUP
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Will this work for the Nav unit if I want to get rid of mine? (Sosche)
Old 01-14-17, 07:33 PM
roshedomv2
Rookie

Originally Posted by JBLUR
this is a picture from lexus facebook group of the scosche unit installed. I have my kit and radio ready to be installed sometime this week as well.

This actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. Doesn't look OEM but way better than the base HU. But what's that slot next to the hazard button? Is that the seatbelt/airbag light? Does the aux in your center armrest as well as steering wheel controls still work? And does your rear deck speaker still work?
Old 01-14-17, 11:57 PM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry the Sosche unit looks cheap to me. The trim used looks like cheap plastic and does not fit with the interior of our cars
Old 01-15-17, 07:43 AM
drew81333
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mirror both screens
or OEM as independent 2nd screen
I have a stock OEM NAV screen but wanted to add an aftermarket radio. I used the Beat Sonic kit. I was running the iVIC but was having issues, with what I thought were the interface cables being too sensitive.

Really like to Beat Sonic kit. Sorry the only pics I have were from after install at night. I will take some more in the day light
Old 01-16-17, 09:28 AM
LEX6IX
Rookie

Had no idea that this scosche unit existed.. always good to have options.
Old 01-18-17, 08:23 AM
zcollier
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do install the Scosche kit, please do let us know how it goes and post photos, preferably of the process in addition to the final product!

It's a pretty exciting option, as far as I'm concerned. I've been considering building a completely custom dash panel, separating and relocating the climate controls (which looks quite possible when you have it all apart), and adding a double DIN mounting area at the top, just so that I can install a CarPlay receiver.

One thing about the Scosche kit that I think is a shame in my opinion: The climate controls should be at the bottom, with the receiver, and its big screen for navigation, up at the top. I wonder if it's possible to get this kit, chop it up, and swap the location of components. Maybe the problem is that the wires for the climate control module wouldn't reach - I can't remember what the wires are like in the dash.

Just having this self-contained climate control module would do a lot to make custom installations fairly easy.
Old 01-18-17, 09:29 AM
roshedomv2
Rookie

Originally Posted by zcollier
If you do install the Scosche kit, please do let us know how it goes and post photos, preferably of the process in addition to the final product!

It's a pretty exciting option, as far as I'm concerned. I've been considering building a completely custom dash panel, separating and relocating the climate controls (which looks quite possible when you have it all apart), and adding a double DIN mounting area at the top, just so that I can install a CarPlay receiver.

One thing about the Scosche kit that I think is a shame in my opinion: The climate controls should be at the bottom, with the receiver, and its big screen for navigation, up at the top. I wonder if it's possible to get this kit, chop it up, and swap the location of components. Maybe the problem is that the wires for the climate control module wouldn't reach - I can't remember what the wires are like in the dash.

Just having this self-contained climate control module would do a lot to make custom installations fairly easy.
Yeah will do. Probably won't move forward with it until the next couple of weeks but I definitely will keep it posted.
Old 01-20-17, 09:28 AM
roshedomv2
Rookie

Originally Posted by drew81333
mirror both screens
or OEM as independent 2nd screen
I have a stock OEM NAV screen but wanted to add an aftermarket radio. I used the Beat Sonic kit. I was running the iVIC but was having issues, with what I thought were the interface cables being too sensitive.

Really like to Beat Sonic kit. Sorry the only pics I have were from after install at night. I will take some more in the day light
Just have a question about your install. What did you use to make the radio work with the aux input in the center armrest?
Old 01-20-17, 12:33 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JBLUR

That looks god awful.
Old 01-21-17, 07:38 AM
nyis250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zmon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-IS250-...25.m3641.l6368

Has anyone test this harness out? I would like to upgrade my non nav to nav. What are the additional hardwares I will need to make it work. I found stickies of plug and play like flyaudio but none for an oem nav system other the ones i have to rewire. I would stay away from that route.

Last edited by nyis250; 01-21-17 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-22-17, 07:46 AM
drew81333
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roshedomv2
Just have a question about your install. What did you use to make the radio work with the aux input in the center armrest?

you can use the OEM one (but make sure your connector adapter, radio side, is also passing the shield grounding through. I found it easier and cheaper to add a line straight to the Pioneer unit since I extended the 2 USBs, HDMI, and aux port into the center console. This way I could use the ports without having wires everywhere and/or pulling the radio out. If choose to use the OEM aux connector here is the diagram.

Quick Reply: 2IS aftmarket HU options/suggestions?