IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 6-speed manual transmission problem. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 12:25 PM
VaderIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS250 6-speed manual transmission problem. Help please.

So just got my car back from the shop were it was being worked on for almost 2 months. Had to get a new trans because my gave out on me while i was driving. Got super excited the day i got the call to go pick it up but then the mechanic tells me "hey bro its ready and all but for some reason 1st gear and Reverse wont go into gear, i guess its because of the short shifter you have wont let it go in since the transmission is new, so you have to hold it in place and then it starts moving." I thought for a second and told him that's BS, it was impossible since i never had that problem before. He begins to tell me they can shave off something to make it go into gear blah blah.

I went to pick up the car and they were telling me about it not going into gear, i told them i will take it so i can test it out myself for the day. Right away i tried going into first gear and hold it in place like they said and sure enough the transmission didn't grip it and it was grinding. Also noticed some leaking coming from the trans and it was falling on my exhaust which made it smell horrible. Also noticed some irregularities with my shifter. When a manual car is in neutral, the shifter sits right in the middle, right? well mine looked angled like if it was in third gear.

This is the way its supposed to sit, but mine was leaned toward the center console. (dont have a picture)
Name:  lexus-f-sport-performance-accessori.jpg
Views: 17650
Size:  46.6 KB

Is it possible that they could have installed this part picture below) on backwards/wrong to cause that? I have never seen that happen before.

Any input will be helpful so i know im not wrong on this while i argue with these mechanics. Thanks
Old 01-10-17, 10:49 PM
arafas
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ok, bro so here is the deal. i just recently did a seal on the shaft that enters the transmission, its in the picture you posted above. If you look in the middle of the red top line follow that towards the engine you will see a shaft going there. I did the gasket on that. I think the metal piece that connects from your shifter to that they installed wrong. Its almost symmetrical but its not. So if the put the more bend end towards the shifter it will prevent gearing. I am pretty sure. Is that tranny new or used? are you sure its new?