Just purchased '11 IS350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 06:59 PM
gearman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased '11 IS350 AWD

Hello all,

I have very recently purchased a L/certified 2011 IS350 and an additional unlimited mile warranty of 7 years. I'm looking for advice from other members who also own this model and if any of you think there are things I should be aware of or excited about it. Looking for general ownership advice and if there are any worthwhile modifications that won't void my warranty.

Thanks CL members,
gearman
Old 01-03-17, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gearman
Hello all,

I have very recently purchased a L/certified 2011 IS350 and an additional unlimited mile warranty of 7 years. I'm looking for advice from other members who also own this model and if any of you think there are things I should be aware of or excited about it. Looking for general ownership advice and if there are any worthwhile modifications that won't void my warranty.

Thanks CL members,
gearman
Welcome to CL.

I didn't actually own one, but did a full-review on a new 2011 IS350 AWD version when it first came out. Here it is, if you want to look at it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-is350awd.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-17 at 07:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gearman (01-05-17)
Old 01-03-17, 10:26 PM
gearman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response mmarahall,

Great write up, I enjoyed reading it! I found it to be pretty accurate although the amount of time I've spent with the vehicle has been limited since the dealer is delivering this week.
Old 01-05-17, 11:43 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hello all,

Thanks CL members,
gearman
Congrats on the purchase! You're going to absolutely love this car.

Things you should be aware of honestly is just making sure the general maintenance is performed on time. It is how these cars basically run forever. As for modifications that won't void warranty, I think any F-Sport aftermarket parts won't void anything, but I'd be careful buying any parts from another company not directly related to Lexus. Other than that, it is an extraordinarily fun car to drive and is properly quick, doing 0-60 anywhere from 5.2 to 4.7 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 13.9 - 13.3 stock. Take it to a back road or two just to get a feel for how the car handles.

EDIT: Also make sure if the car is near or at 70k - 90k miles that you get the transmission fluid flushed. The 'lifetime' fluid it comes with does not last forever and can ruin your transmission if it isn't changed sooner than later. Granted some have been gone without changing fluid for over 180k miles but I'd change it especially if you tend to drive your car hard.

Last edited by Rezno; 01-05-17 at 11:51 AM.
gearman (01-05-17)
Old 01-05-17, 12:05 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
Congrats on the purchase! You're going to absolutely love this car.

Things you should be aware of honestly is just making sure the general maintenance is performed on time. It is how these cars basically run forever. As for modifications that won't void warranty, I think any F-Sport aftermarket parts won't void anything, but I'd be careful buying any parts from another company not directly related to Lexus. Other than that, it is an extraordinarily fun car to drive and is properly quick, doing 0-60 anywhere from 5.2 to 4.7 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 13.9 - 13.3 stock. Take it to a back road or two just to get a feel for how the car handles.

EDIT: Also make sure if the car is near or at 70k - 90k miles that you get the transmission fluid flushed. The 'lifetime' fluid it comes with does not last forever and can ruin your transmission if it isn't changed sooner than later. Granted some have been gone without changing fluid for over 180k miles but I'd change it especially if you tend to drive your car hard.
He also has differential and transfer case to worry about, not just transmission fluid
gearman (01-05-17)
Old 01-05-17, 02:20 PM
gearman
Driver School Candidate

Cool thanks guys I'll make sure to keep the tranny and diff fluid in mind. Seems odd to me that such a thing as "lifetime" tranny fluid exists. Thankfully I wont have to worry for a while since my car is still in the 30k miles range.
Old 01-05-17, 02:30 PM
gearman
Driver School Candidate

Receiving delivery today, Jan 5 2017!
In the drive way realizing quickly I need to order some all weather mats.
Found a set of like new Lexus rubber floor mats on eBay for $35 and a license plate relocation kit $40 so I wouldn't have to drill holes in my bumper!
Old 01-05-17, 02:48 PM
gearman
Driver School Candidate

The car had 3 bent oem wheels when I went to purchase so as part of the deal I had the dealer buy 3 of these Lexus accessory wheels and I purchased the 4th. I did this because I thought the look of darker metallic wheels would be cleaner looking on a black car rather than the more brightly silvered ones that were on it.
Old 01-05-17, 06:41 PM
steveis350
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats. I have the same car and have been loving it for the past 2 years. I have 100,000 kilometers on it and besides regular maintenance, the only things I've had to change was an oxygen sensor and the windshield washer pump.

The first thing I would tell you is you may feel a subtle "wobble" accelerating out of first gear from a stop or a very slow roll. I thought I had bent driveshaft or it was because I'm lowered but it isn't the case. I've seen quite a few people on different forums saying the same thing. Also, my brother has the 2015 IS250 AWD and also feels it.

Besides that, I can't think of anything else. As Rezno mentioned, just do the regular maintenance and the car will be happy as I'm sure you will be also.

Mods; I agree with Rezno on the F-Sport equipment. Seeing as they come from Lexus, it shouldn't void the warranty but it's best to check with your dealer to make sure. I have the intake, exhaust, and lowering springs and am happy with them all. The exhaust is quiet at stop and highway speeds but deep and throaty when you push the accelerator a little more aggressively. It's not obnoxiously loud. Quiet when you need it to be, but growls when you're pushing it. The springs are just low enough that you don't rub every single speed bump on the road, but there are still some you won't get away from.

Enjoy it!
gearman (01-05-17)
Old 01-05-17, 07:35 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Unless your mod directly cause the issue you are claiming under warranty it is fine, I'd call to double check if you are Leary though.. I had mine in for bubbling headlight (check under the low beam for bubbling paint) with aftermarket bulbs and it was fine.

I love my intake, Joe-z tube and modified air box replicating f sport, nice sound when you want it and quiet when you don't. Also, LEDs everywhere.. both are cheap and begin to make it your own.
gearman (01-05-17)
Old 01-05-17, 09:01 PM
gearman
Driver School Candidate

Yeah you guys already knew exactly what I had in mind haha. I think after I drive it for awhile I'll end up getting the f sport intake and exhaust. I know everything sounds different in person but from what I've heard online from YouTube videos and other testimonials the f sport exhaust sounds the best especially when combined with the intake. Thanks for the input Steve and MAizz I wanted something a little more aggressive sounding when I get after it but nothing that's too obnoxiously loud to be on a daily driver.

As for the wobble you mention I haven't even noticed since I got those terribly bent wheels replaced!
Old 01-05-17, 09:05 PM
gearman
Driver School Candidate

I did however notice a very annoying rattiling from somewhere near the dash on the driver side a highway speed but couldn't quite locate it yet. Anyone else notice this problem and have a solution/source?
Old 01-05-17, 09:12 PM
gearman
Driver School Candidate

Also just in case anyone is curious these wheels cost about $220 for the dealer I believe and are stored in a warehouse near the Detroit area. Can't express enough what an astetic upgrade these were from the old generic looking ones.
Old 01-05-17, 09:18 PM
steveis350
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

F-Sport intake/exhaust combo will be perfect for your needs then. If you don't have the wobble, then you're on the side of people who don't have it. If you decide to lower it, I'd be interested to know if it pops up though.

Yeah you guys already knew exactly what I had in mind haha. I think after I drive it for awhile I'll end up getting the f sport intake and exhaust. I know everything sounds different in person but from what I've heard online from YouTube videos and other testimonials the f sport exhaust sounds the best especially when combined with the intake. Thanks for the input Steve and MAizz I wanted something a little more aggressive sounding when I get after it but nothing that's too obnoxiously loud to be on a daily driver.

As for the wobble you mention I haven't even noticed since I got those terribly bent wheels replaced!
Old 01-05-17, 09:28 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I did however notice a very annoying rattiling from somewhere near the dash on the driver side a highway speed but couldn't quite locate it yet. Anyone else notice this problem and have a solution/source?
Its a very poor design on behalf of whoever designed the car. The dash is not directly bolted, rather it is held together with plastic clips. Over time it falls apart. If you take it the dealership it will be a 1000+ service and there is no guarantee they will find all the rattles, so don't do that. There have been a few solutions, this one is perhaps the best (Bolts the dash directly to the car without any plastic clips, prevents rattles permanently):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...have-pics.html

Personally I just got used to it and if I am playing music, even if it is quiet, I never really hear any rattles. Its not worth spending 1k over and I haven't had the time to fix it myself, but if you're able to, that is perhaps the best path you could take.

Side note: Your car is looking very nice. I especially love the rims and the redesigned front bumper and headlights. Great buy!
gearman (01-06-17)

Quick Reply: Just purchased '11 IS350 AWD