IS220d Smoking!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 08:08 AM
CardiffGar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS220d Smoking!

Hi all

I am new to this so forgive if I have posted this in the wrong section. Also the subject I'm writing about has probably been raised so many times before a lot if you will find it boring but I really do need some advice on it. I have a is220d on a 57 plate around 111k mileage. I have only owned it 4 months and it has recently started smoking. It only starts when I get to between quarter and half temperature, it pumps it out for a while and then stops and only smokes a little every now and then when I accelerate hard.

It has been into Lexus who found no fault codes, all they have suggested is a DPF, EGR and 5th injector clean but I'm not paying what was quoted! I have had the EGR removed and cleaned and tried swapping it for a second hand one which was idling all over the place and sluggish so swapped back to the original. This weekend I also had a full carbon clean done by a professional company, it's now a lot more responsive and idles better however still the smoke. I have even tried expensive diesel and tank treatment and blasting it down the motorway.

I really am stuck on where to turn next, has anyway got any ideas or do they know anyone around Cardiff area who can remove the manifold and carry out the proper clean for a reasonable cost?

appreciated any ideas as I can't keep driving it like this it's embarrassing

p.s it's a white smoke I am getting.

Gareth
Old 01-02-17, 09:33 AM
flynryan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We dont have the diesel in the US I dont believe so you probably wont get much of a response here but maybe Im wrong.

Have you seen this blog?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gGmbZ_XmwT0H3g
Old 01-02-17, 10:00 AM
CardiffGar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I appreciate the response. I have read that one, I really don't know what to think and don't want to just keep spending money on trying different things. If Lexus don't know what's wrong I really don't have much chance!
Old 03-03-21, 10:38 AM
Troaca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CardiffGar
Hi all

I am new to this so forgive if I have posted this in the wrong section. Also the subject I'm writing about has probably been raised so many times before a lot if you will find it boring but I really do need some advice on it. I have a is220d on a 57 plate around 111k mileage. I have only owned it 4 months and it has recently started smoking. It only starts when I get to between quarter and half temperature, it pumps it out for a while and then stops and only smokes a little every now and then when I accelerate hard.

It has been into Lexus who found no fault codes, all they have suggested is a DPF, EGR and 5th injector clean but I'm not paying what was quoted! I have had the EGR removed and cleaned and tried swapping it for a second hand one which was idling all over the place and sluggish so swapped back to the original. This weekend I also had a full carbon clean done by a professional company, it's now a lot more responsive and idles better however still the smoke. I have even tried expensive diesel and tank treatment and blasting it down the motorway.

I really am stuck on where to turn next, has anyway got any ideas or do they know anyone around Cardiff area who can remove the manifold and carry out the proper clean for a reasonable cost?

Gareth
Hi, did you solve the smoke problem? I have the same problem and no one knows what to do with it
Old 03-03-21, 10:55 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Try these guys over across the pond.

They should be able to help you.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/
Old 09-26-23, 04:56 AM
Michaelyml
1st Gear

Default Is220d 2008 140k miles

Originally Posted by CardiffGar
Hi all

Gareth
Hi Gareth
I have the same problem as your Lexus, I as wondering did you manage to resolve it, I have new egr, new dpf and new 5th injector in, still the same and worsen with white and blue smoke. I was hoping you can share some light.
Thank you
Michael
Old 09-28-23, 06:21 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts

White and blue smoke? You should check for a failed head gasket.