IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Grinding Noise when Braking w/(Video)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 06:19 PM
frostmica2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Noise when Braking w/(Video)

Hi,
I have a 2008 Lexus IS250 RWD. I've had the car about 6 months or so now. It started making a slight grinding noise when braking and I figured it time for new brake pads. Inspected the brake pads and they were due for a change.
Put new brake pads all the way around on the vehicle and still had the same noise (sounds like coming from front). Thought rotors could be warped...put new rotors on the front, noise stayed.
I've inspected the braking system (no rocks, dust shield looks good,nothing seems to be impeding or out of the ordinary) and caliper slide pins are properly greased and slide freely.

The noise only happens when I'm doing light braking coming to stop, when I'm barely on the brakes. Doesn't seem to matter if turning or not and sounds like coming from the front.
I hope the video helps and someone can direct me on what needs to be fixed.

Video Link:
http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/so...tml?sort=3&o=0

Threads Viewed:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-braking.html
http://my.is/forums/f115/metal-grinding-noise-441208/
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...d-and-braking/
Old 12-30-16, 06:58 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Couldn't play your video but if it is coming from the front I would inspect the rotors and pads for wear marks.

Is your Caliper secured well?
Did you put the pads on correctly?
Did you use new hardware with the pads and lubricate it?

If everything checks out could it be a wheel bearing failing? Have you checked your wheel bearings?
Old 12-30-16, 07:10 PM
frostmica2
Driver School Candidate

The noise was same before and after pad/rotors replaced in front, so I don't think anything was done wrong there. New pads were put on correctly and the hardware was lubricated.
If it was a wheel bearing I thought the noise would happen all the time, and not just when braking.

I used this walkthrough and everything was the same except I didn't resurface my rotors I just replaced.
Old 12-30-16, 07:36 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Well the only thing you didn't change was the caliper and if you're 100% sure it's not it, then I would lift the car and turn the front hubs by hand while someone applies the brake gently and watch carefully.
Old 12-30-16, 08:26 PM
frostmica2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Well the only thing you didn't change was the caliper and if you're 100% sure it's not it, then I would lift the car and turn the front hubs by hand while someone applies the brake gently and watch carefully.
I'm not 100% sure its not the caliper, but I figured if it was locked up it would be a constant noise. My dad and I tried that approach but couldn't hear or locate the issue.
Old 12-31-16, 01:35 AM
jraiderg
Rookie

I had the same problem after getting new rotors and pads after around 4 weeks the grinding noise stopped.
Old 01-01-17, 11:27 AM
frostmica2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jraiderg
I had the same problem after getting new rotors and pads after around 4 weeks the grinding noise stopped.
This would be best case scenario. Has anyone else dealt with this?
Old 01-02-17, 03:00 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of brake pad/rotor combo are you running? What type of material? Ceramic brake pads will make noise at cold operation and noise will go away as they heat up.

After installing your new pads and rotors, did you follow their procedure to "bed-in" or "seat" the brake pads?
Old 01-09-17, 09:56 PM
frostmica2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2slow
What kind of brake pad/rotor combo are you running? What type of material? Ceramic brake pads will make noise at cold operation and noise will go away as they heat up.

After installing your new pads and rotors, did you follow their procedure to "bed-in" or "seat" the brake pads?
Rotors were AutoZone Blanks and the pads were AutoZone Duralast Gold Ceramic Pads. The noise seems to go away a couple trips I had made, but keeps coming back. It has been extremely cold here sometimes around 5-10 degrees.
The new pads/rotors didn't have any instructions on bedding them but I went through a similar process of testing out the brakes after being done, progressing from smaller slower stops to faster quicker stops to ensure was seated correctly.
Old 06-26-17, 10:31 AM
EagleEye99
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frostmica2
Rotors were AutoZone Blanks and the pads were AutoZone Duralast Gold Ceramic Pads. The noise seems to go away a couple trips I had made, but keeps coming back. It has been extremely cold here sometimes around 5-10 degrees.
The new pads/rotors didn't have any instructions on bedding them but I went through a similar process of testing out the brakes after being done, progressing from smaller slower stops to faster quicker stops to ensure was seated correctly.
Did you figure it out?
Old 09-12-18, 12:33 AM
Droosive
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have same problem..and same brand brake pads and rotors

Im expirencing the exact same noise..I’m 100% convinced that it’s because it’s a duralast brand..very cheap brake materials compared to OEM ..next time, stay away from Autozone, O Reilly’s..etc brake pads and rotors..their extremely cheap for Lexus vehicles.

Update: Just fixed the problem..after 1 trip to brakes plus and 2 Visits to the Dealer..my driver front side Rotor got warped some how..and their only 1 month and a half old..pretty odd..tho the noise is gone for now..I’ll do another update if the noise comes back.

Last edited by Droosive; 09-16-18 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 07:03 AM
Droosive
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front brakes grinding still

👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇

Update: Just fixed the problem..The grinding noise came back after putting a new set of rotors and brake pads again. The real problem was a bent brake line which caused 1 of my brakes in the front to stop working while the other brake did all the work. That’s why you got a burning smell. If not fixed within a reasonable amount of time..it warps the rotor..sorry if I miss lead anyone ..good luck.

Update: August - 2021
Hey guys, it’s been awhile..I’m still getting grinding noise, this is what I’ve replaced since last update.

1. All 4 calipers were replaced

2. All 4 Brake pads replaced 4x’s (OEM)

3. Rotors replaced 4x’s (OEM)

4. All 4 Wheel bearings replaced

5. Brake flush replaced 2x’s

6. Brake line inspected - Passed Inspection

7. Front struts/shock absorber replaced in pairs for the front 2x’s

8. All front suspension bushings replaced (Lower control arm bushings, Sway bar bushings)

*As you can see, I haven’t had much luck resolving the situation, All my brakes around the entire car are brand new, and I’ve spent thousands on trying to fix the situation. I give up, just going to put brake cleaner when they start grinding. Temporarily stops the noise for only 1 week.*

Last edited by Droosive; 08-14-21 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Update