IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Major Carbon Fouling and Misfire on cyl 3&4

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 08:48 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major Carbon Fouling and Misfire on cyl 3&4

So, I had the misfire engine rebuild done at around 90k miles if memory serves. We are now at 140k miles, and check out my plug on cyl 4...

Major Carbon Fouling and Misfire on cyl 3&4-fghh8it.jpg

Major Carbon Fouling and Misfire on cyl 3&4-eaxw8pa.jpg

Major Carbon Fouling and Misfire on cyl 3&4-wdsc5il.jpg

So the "fix" doesn't work. I had cyl 3 and 4 misfire yesterday during a 200 mile road trip SIMULTANEOUSLY! I had to order a new set of spark plugs overnight from Amazon, and I get to my car to swap them out to find this.

Lexus never "fixed" the blowby issue. The rest of the plugs look perfectly fine.
Old 12-24-16, 10:44 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You can't fix a poor design. I would have put in a catch can right after that rebuild. Anyway, I would go ahead and do it now if you plan on keeping the car. Start running cleaner through the injectors and throttle body and also start a water decarbonizing ritual. Get what you can out of it.
Old 12-24-16, 11:31 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mrfix
You can't fix a poor design. I would have put in a catch can right after that rebuild. Anyway, I would go ahead and do it now if you plan on keeping the car. Start running cleaner through the injectors and throttle body and also start a water decarbonizing ritual. Get what you can out of it.
Where would I put it? And there are two PCV hoses, one goes to the intake, the other into the intake manifold. What is water decarbonizing?
Old 12-24-16, 04:52 PM
jjc250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were the plugs replaced at their recommended interval?
Old 12-24-16, 08:09 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after 3 years of the misfire recall i felt it again and installed this asap hasent happen again *knock on wood*

Old 12-24-16, 09:55 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by APynckel
Where would I put it? And there are two PCV hoses, one goes to the intake, the other into the intake manifold. What is water decarbonizing?
You would connect a catch can between the PCV Valve and the Intake Manifold. You should be able to find some posts around here on that.

The water Decarbonization works very well for the cylinders. There are some great youtube videos out there explaining how it works, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ecarbonization

On your vehicle, there is a hose running to the intake manifold from the PCV Valve. That might be a good place to introduce the water since it will flow back into the combustion chambers and clean out your cylinders.

It would have been great if you had one of those borescopes from Amazon for $20 bucks and were able to put it into the cylinder to take a look. You would find out real quickly how bad it actually is.

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Water...h+OTG+function

From the looks of things your plugs look really fouled and typically a Iridium plug should last at a minimum 100k. So it looks like those two cylinders are really taking a beating. I would borescope each cylinder and take a good look and figure out how full retard I need to go. I really think I could clean it up pretty good but it would take a couple of weeks, a few gallons of Seafoam and Berrymans and about 10 gallons of water. What you got to lose she is on the way out.
Old 12-26-16, 11:56 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Yea, I would think you would need 2 catch cans, one between the PVC and the intake pipe (pre-TB), and one between the driver's side PCV and the intake manifold, each separated from the other to ensure vacuum on the crankcase.

I don't really think "she's on the way out". I replaced the plugs and she's running fine again.