IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Winter traction suggestions

Old 12-13-16, 07:39 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter traction suggestions

So it is approaching that time again in Ohio when the snow falls. Last year my 2008 IS 350 didn't perform very well in snow, slush, or ice. This year I am hoping to do better. Other than snow tires, what do you guys recommend to improve performance on snow? I have thought about adding weight in the trunk to increase traction between the rear wheels and the pavement, but I wasn't sure what to put back there.
Old 12-13-16, 07:51 AM
ewingli
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of winter tires are you running? With a good set of winter tires, you shouldn't have too much issue with traction.
Old 12-13-16, 08:36 AM
belac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Chicago and we just got our first big snowfall.
I have a RWD IS350 also and really didn't have any trouble getting around. Even on back roads that haven't been plowed yet.

I'm on fairly new Hankook Winter I*cept Evo2's and used snow mode (really made a huge difference) and had no problems.
Later in the season if I start having problems I plan to just stop by Lowes or Home Depot and picked up 50lb bags of sand to put in the trunk.
Old 12-13-16, 09:00 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ewingli
What type of winter tires are you running? With a good set of winter tires, you shouldn't have too much issue with traction.
I actually don't have winter tires yet but am planning to buy some. Not sure on which brand or model at this point
Old 12-13-16, 09:01 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by belac
I live in Chicago and we just got our first big snowfall.
I have a RWD IS350 also and really didn't have any trouble getting around. Even on back roads that haven't been plowed yet.

I'm on fairly new Hankook Winter I*cept Evo2's and used snow mode (really made a huge difference) and had no problems.
Later in the season if I start having problems I plan to just stop by Lowes or Home Depot and picked up 50lb bags of sand to put in the trunk.
I thought about using sandbags but I'm worried, because of how I drive, that the bag may break open in my trunk.
Old 12-13-16, 09:28 AM
ewingli
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a good condition used Winter set on craigslist, and you won't have to worry about putting bags in your trunk. I run Blizzak on my RVR, and GT Altimax Artic on my IS250, I Prefer the Altimax as I notice better traction on ice. I used to run a cheap brand of winter tires on my SC400, and the traction was still far superior compared to the all seasons tires.

Good luck with your hunt, stay safe.

-Jay
Old 12-13-16, 09:49 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The key to being able to drive in snow without too many problems are a good set on winter tires and being very light on the gas pedal. Winter tires make a huge difference on snow vs an all season tire.
Old 12-13-16, 12:37 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Aside from snow tires, maybe using snow mode but I really don't find it much better than a light foot with normal mode. For snow tires, if you live in a place with a lot of snow that doesn't get cleared up I would suggest Blizzaks and X Ice 3s if you have constant plows.
Old 12-13-16, 12:51 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aspect
Aside from snow tires, maybe using snow mode but I really don't find it much better than a light foot with normal mode. For snow tires, if you live in a place with a lot of snow that doesn't get cleared up I would suggest Blizzaks and X Ice 3s if you have constant plows.
I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. Not a ton of snow but it does come down fairly often during these winter months.

I have the staggered 18 inch rims with tire sizes F 225/40R18 and R 255/40R18. I am having trouble finding snow tires for the rear tire size. Does anyone have experience using a slightly smaller or larger tire on the rear wheels?
Old 12-13-16, 12:59 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I believe a good set (all 4) of winter tires like the Hankook I Pike 409 should do the job. They are the best winter tires I have ever used (lived in Canada for 25 years).

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie...+Winter+i-Pike

Nokian was working on this gem. Now that would have been an amazing tire.

https://www.wired.com/2014/02/winter-tire-hidden-studs/
Old 12-13-16, 03:41 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in chicago on brand new blizzaks. No issues at all, I also went with slimmer tires in the back as well. I'm running 225 all around. I just hit the gas and it eats through all the snow like butter. I woukd NEVER get used winter tires but that's just my opinion. Lots of posts say 6/32 or 7/32 tire tread left and call that 50% life left. Ummmm NO 6/32 for winter tires they are Dead time to toss them.
Old 12-13-16, 05:48 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by P128sniper
I'm in chicago on brand new blizzaks. No issues at all, I also went with slimmer tires in the back as well. I'm running 225 all around. I just hit the gas and it eats through all the snow like butter. I woukd NEVER get used winter tires but that's just my opinion. Lots of posts say 6/32 or 7/32 tire tread left and call that 50% life left. Ummmm NO 6/32 for winter tires they are Dead time to toss them.
Just a heads up. You never toss winter tires. You're suppose to run them out through the summer once they are done with there last winter.
Old 12-13-16, 07:27 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Just a heads up. You never toss winter tires. You're suppose to run them out through the summer once they are done with there last winter.
I meant for winter purposes, and no I have dedicated summer tires...
Old 12-13-16, 07:56 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusben
I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. Not a ton of snow but it does come down fairly often during these winter months.

I have the staggered 18 inch rims with tire sizes F 225/40R18 and R 255/40R18. I am having trouble finding snow tires for the rear tire size. Does anyone have experience using a slightly smaller or larger tire on the rear wheels?
where in cincy? I too am a fellow is owner in the nati. I was a bit worried about the drive home today when i saw snow dropping. Its so hit or miss here i dont want to buy snow tires, only to see it stay in the 40s all season

Old 12-13-16, 08:09 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

One thing I do in snowy weather is use a less wide rear tire, thinner tires mean more Lbs per square inch. (same as adding weight to the trunk) I am using 8" wide with 225 tires on my IS350. The tires are summer style but are new so have plenty of tread. So far here in Utah I haven't had any problems with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter traction suggestions