IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Purchase 2008 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-16, 01:36 PM
aln08
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase 2008 IS350

Hello everyone. I've been a long-time lurker and finally decided to make an account. I'd like to see if this is a good deal. I'm in Texas and there's a 2008 is350 with 70,404 miles selling for $14,999. The car's been there for over 5 months. The price was dropped 1k from $15,999 a few weeks ago. I've attached the service history and carfax and they both look good. I've taken a look at the car and have driven it also. I'm thinking maybe $13.5k to 14k is a good price? Please let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Here's the link:
http://uagdallas.v12soft.com/invento...mers-Branch-TX
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
is350 maintenance.pdf (155.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: pdf
carfax.pdf (314.8 KB, 82 views)
Old 12-11-16, 01:49 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Where are all of the plastic trim covers under the hood?

Looks great otherwise
The following users liked this post:
aln08 (12-15-16)
Old 12-11-16, 01:55 PM
aln08
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Where are all of the plastic trim covers under the hood?

Looks great otherwise

Good question. I'll ask them about it first thing tomorrow. If they don't have I may be able to use it as a bargaining chip. I'll let you know.
Old 12-12-16, 04:36 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aln08
Hello everyone. I've been a long-time lurker and finally decided to make an account. I'd like to see if this is a good deal. I'm in Texas and there's a 2008 is350 with 70,404 miles selling for $14,999. The car's been there for over 5 months. The price was dropped 1k from $15,999 a few weeks ago. I've attached the service history and carfax and they both look good. I've taken a look at the car and have driven it also. I'm thinking maybe $13.5k to 14k is a good price? Please let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Here's the link:
http://uagdallas.v12soft.com/invento...mers-Branch-TX
Looks like a pretty well taken care of car.. If you can get over the interior color and the lack of ML audio, I say get it..
aln08 (12-15-16)
Old 12-12-16, 08:55 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Here's the link:
http://uagdallas.v12soft.com/inventory/view/9322595/2008-Lexus-IS350-NAVIGATION%2C-BACK-UP-CAMERA%2C-HEATED-COOLED-SEATS%2C-BLUETOOTH-Farmers-Branch-TX
When I was shopping around they had a few IS350's. I didn't feel comfortable buying from them. there was some discrepancy I found while investigated the particular vehicle. This one seems to have a good car fax report not that that means anything. Car had impact damage in the RR Bumper area but nothing major it seems. Probably just a bump or something. Looks like it was a Bank repo, second owner lived in the Colony. Lexus service report looks good.

I would just make sure they have the car and make sure it is the same car you are buying. If they try and sell you something else as soon as you get there it was just bait. If it all pans out to be real then refuse any additional warranties and bull**** they will try to add to it. Read over the contract well and don't finance through them. You would be best to pay by Cert Check from bank. Deal hard with them. Knock off at least at a minimum 1k. Be ready to walk. Don't feel it necessary to talk much or tell them anything. The quieter you sit the better. Let them talk and you just listen. When they ask you to give a price tell them you want it for 1 dollar and they want 15k so how about you meet in the middle and you'll give them $7500. I know this sounds silly but that is how you start. They will come back with 14800 and you come back with 8k. Remember you are going to have to fight hard for a good deal. They want to get rid of it and they will lie like hell. They will probably tell you there are 5 other people looking at it or it's out on a test drive. You tell them that's fine, you have a few more to look at too so it makes no difference if they sell it or not.

Anyway, unless your going to get it for about 13k I wouldn't sweat it. You can find them all day at the price they want. Remember they picked it up for under 10k and probably aren't in it for more than another $300.

here is a good vid to watch. Prepare yourself for at least 3-5 hours of a hard fight. Silence is your friend. Let them get uncomfortable and talk. Go for a walk and break the momentum. They hate that ****. Just go outside and walk around make a phone call,check your messages. **** like that. They ****ing hate it.

Here is a vid and there are plenty more to watch.

Remember they aren't making money if they're not moving them. people are broke and don't have 15k to spend on an 8 year old vehicle. Don't finance through them. Check out the whole vehicle well. Ask if they would let you take it to Sewell Lexus in Dallas or better yet to Davenport Motors (good Lexus mechanics in Dallas) for a pre inspection?

I'm rambling but you prepare yourself and remember silence is your friend. Start extremely low with your offers. you will have to fight for every dollar. Don't sign **** until you agree on a price and terms. They are going to throw offers down in front of you and try to get you to sign them. Don't even pick up the pen. Just say it's not good enough and raise your offer by $100.

Stay cool and be ready to walk. You can always leave them your number and let them know if they want to sell it they can call you, otherwise you can buy them all day at 15k. Better yet find a few that are better at close to that price and only use it when the time is right.

I picked one up from Toyota where they wanted 13k. I got it for $10500. $2500 less than they wanted. They were adamant that they had to get 13k the whole time.

One last thing. the car will find you. If this one doesn't work out it wasn't meant to be.

Good luck...

Last edited by Mrfix; 12-12-16 at 09:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mrfix:
aln08 (12-15-16), meowCat (12-12-16)
Old 12-12-16, 09:03 AM
aln08
6th Gear

@HankMoody Thanks for the reply, the color combination doesn't bother me that much.

@Mrfix Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed response. I will certainly take it to heart. I certainly have no problem walking if I don't get what I want as I'm not attached to it at all. I also agree about the pre-purchase inspection; even though they say it's fine I won't just take them at their word. I also already have financing lined up with a local credit union. I will also keep looking around for any other IS350's I see.

Last edited by aln08; 12-12-16 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-12-16, 10:31 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Judging solely based on the carfax, it seems good. I'll be honest I'd still try to negotiate that 15k down a little bit but even if you aren't able to its still a pretty good deal. Aside from the engine covers (which I hear are annoyingly expensive) I'd just check spots in the interior where there could be wear (And check everything, you never know what you'll be able to find) and make sure all the features it comes with work 100% before writing any checks.
aln08 (12-15-16)
Old 12-15-16, 02:08 PM
aln08
6th Gear

Just wanted to update the thread.

I decided to pass on this vehicle. I asked them if they would go any lower than 15k but they wouldn't budge, and that's fine. I made them an offer of 13k on the vehicle last week via their website but received no reply. I asked the salesman about it and he says "we obviously can't accept the offer you sent us as it was very insulting." I asked why he just didn't call or email me to let me know. He said that they don't respond to insulting offers. No big deal, onto the next one. Thanks for the tips everyone. The search continues!
Old 12-15-16, 03:06 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

I decided to pass on this vehicle. I asked them if they would go any lower than 15k but they wouldn't budge, and that's fine. I made them an offer of 13k on the vehicle last week via their website but received no reply. I asked the salesman about it and he says "we obviously can't accept the offer you sent us as it was very insulting." I asked why he just didn't call or email me to let me know. He said that they don't respond to insulting offers. No big deal, onto the next one. Thanks for the tips everyone. The search continues!
I would suggest not doing anything over the phone or online next time. Always go in and look at the car.

These guys are douche's anyway. I didn't want to discourage you but when I was looking they had a couple IS's (could have been the one you even looked at) but I decided I didn't want to do business with them, They were sweaty and the way they responded to you is exactly why it's better to move on.

When your buying from a place like this you have to remember all their cars are auction cars. People don't come in there and trade their cars in. These guys go to an auction and buy a 100 cars at a time. Then they send the ones they don't think then can make money on back to the auction and take the ones they think will sell. There have been used car dealers in the DFW area that go as far as posting fake carfax reports. There was a Lexus Service Record report with this one so it was probably legit in this case but that doesn't mean they even had the car for sale. It could have been a bait car to bring people in and then they try to sell you something else. e.g. Oh I'm sorry we just sold it. How about this nice G35.... and your like I just called you an hour ago and you said you had it! That is probably the reason they didn't respond to you. They need you to come in.

If your interested in an IS350, look at the Major dealerships in the DFW area and be patient. There were several very nice ones when I was looking over a few months. Autotrader, craigslist and individual dealer sites like Texas Toyota, Sewell Lexus, etc. Something will come up and if I see anything good, I will post it here for you.

In the meanwhile start practicing and learning everything there is about negotiating a good deal. Lots of resources out there.
Old 12-16-16, 04:24 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Good choice. 13k isn't a ridiculous offer, either. Also, any 2IS at the dealership may be more expensive than the norm, but they only sell the best of the best.
Old 12-16-16, 05:37 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrfix
When I was shopping around they had a few IS350's. I didn't feel comfortable buying from them. there was some discrepancy I found while investigated the particular vehicle. This one seems to have a good car fax report not that that means anything. Car had impact damage in the RR Bumper area but nothing major it seems. Probably just a bump or something. Looks like it was a Bank repo, second owner lived in the Colony. Lexus service report looks good.

I would just make sure they have the car and make sure it is the same car you are buying. If they try and sell you something else as soon as you get there it was just bait. If it all pans out to be real then refuse any additional warranties and bull**** they will try to add to it. Read over the contract well and don't finance through them. You would be best to pay by Cert Check from bank. Deal hard with them. Knock off at least at a minimum 1k. Be ready to walk. Don't feel it necessary to talk much or tell them anything. The quieter you sit the better. Let them talk and you just listen. When they ask you to give a price tell them you want it for 1 dollar and they want 15k so how about you meet in the middle and you'll give them $7500. I know this sounds silly but that is how you start. They will come back with 14800 and you come back with 8k. Remember you are going to have to fight hard for a good deal. They want to get rid of it and they will lie like hell. They will probably tell you there are 5 other people looking at it or it's out on a test drive. You tell them that's fine, you have a few more to look at too so it makes no difference if they sell it or not.

Anyway, unless your going to get it for about 13k I wouldn't sweat it. You can find them all day at the price they want. Remember they picked it up for under 10k and probably aren't in it for more than another $300.

here is a good vid to watch. Prepare yourself for at least 3-5 hours of a hard fight. Silence is your friend. Let them get uncomfortable and talk. Go for a walk and break the momentum. They hate that ****. Just go outside and walk around make a phone call,check your messages. **** like that. They ****ing hate it.

Here is a vid and there are plenty more to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5wMmq6-kNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpEsmEaJcJo

Remember they aren't making money if they're not moving them. people are broke and don't have 15k to spend on an 8 year old vehicle. Don't finance through them. Check out the whole vehicle well. Ask if they would let you take it to Sewell Lexus in Dallas or better yet to Davenport Motors (good Lexus mechanics in Dallas) for a pre inspection?

I'm rambling but you prepare yourself and remember silence is your friend. Start extremely low with your offers. you will have to fight for every dollar. Don't sign **** until you agree on a price and terms. They are going to throw offers down in front of you and try to get you to sign them. Don't even pick up the pen. Just say it's not good enough and raise your offer by $100.

Stay cool and be ready to walk. You can always leave them your number and let them know if they want to sell it they can call you, otherwise you can buy them all day at 15k. Better yet find a few that are better at close to that price and only use it when the time is right.

I picked one up from Toyota where they wanted 13k. I got it for $10500. $2500 less than they wanted. They were adamant that they had to get 13k the whole time.

One last thing. the car will find you. If this one doesn't work out it wasn't meant to be.

Good luck...
Buying used car is about luck or bad luck, if you want a perfect and warranty car you buy BRand New, you think people are dumb ? you're buying used car and you want it cheap and perfect ? thats not going to happen, modern cars part breaks down according to time and mileage, a brand new Lexus IS would give you stressless for 6-8 years depend on how you maintenance the car, when an IS 2006-2008 reaches 100k mile + get ready to replace waterpump drivebelt idling pulley, when it reaches 160k miles+ get ready for Alternator and 2 HID light bulb, used car isn't a bulleyproof IF YOU THINK YOU LIKE IT ? JUST BUY IT, if they willing to drop the price the car is ****, video is just demonstration not true and not all sellers will do that, if you go to Sewell Lexus then i have nothing to say. Those guys are certificated and TRAINED to be a Saleman, if you're smart you buy brand new car like me. i bought my IS350 brand new in dec 2011 and now it starts to make noise.
Old 12-19-16, 10:53 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you found another car yet or are you still searching?
Old 12-20-16, 11:56 AM
aln08
6th Gear

Hi guys, just wanted to update the thread.

I purchased a 2007 is350 with 88k miles for about 13k. It's Tungsten Pearl with black interior, also has Nav. I'll try get to get some pictures when I pick it up later this week. I want to say to thanks to each and every one of you for your help. Also, this will mainly be a weekend car as I have a 2010 is250 as my daily. I'l probably add some performance mods in the future (exhaust, intake, tune, sway bars).
Old 12-20-16, 01:35 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Hi guys, just wanted to update the thread.

I purchased a 2007 is350 with 88k miles for about 13k. It's Tungsten Pearl with black interior, also has Nav. I'll try get to get some pictures when I pick it up later this week. I want to say to thanks to each and every one of you for your help. Also, this will mainly be a weekend car as I have a 2010 is250 as my daily. I'l probably add some performance mods in the future (exhaust, intake, tune, sway bars).
Congrats....looking forward to the pics...
aln08 (12-21-16)
Old 12-21-16, 01:38 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase! Hope you like your new car!
aln08 (12-22-16)

Quick Reply: Purchase 2008 IS350