IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Put a transmission in my IS350 yesterday

Old 12-11-16, 09:04 AM
flynryan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Put a transmission in my IS350 yesterday

Took my buddy and I about 8 hours on the ground in his driveway. I bought the tranny from a salvage yard for $400 with 103k on it. Overall it went fairly smooth. Didnt have to remove any of the exhaust or steering linkage. Did have to remove the starter in order to get the flywheel off and the tranny support bracket. The 3 or 4 bolts on the top are the hardest part to get out, 1 person over the top of the engine reaching down so that I could hand the 17mm with lots of extensions on it and break them loose. All in all we said it was about a 7 out of 10 for tough jobs. I needed a new transmission because ours was slipping during shifts. If you gave it alot of gas it would slip but if not too much gas it was fine but Im sure it would have got worse. I was also getting transmission CEL's. Bought the WS fluid from Toyota. Glad we did it because we saved thousands.
Mine is a 2007 Is350 with 128k miles on it before we put in the new (used) tranny.
Old 12-11-16, 09:29 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Has the car been driven hard? I wouldnt expect a transmission to go at 128k

Are all 06-13 transmissions compatible with those years?
Old 12-11-16, 11:49 AM
flynryan
Rookie

Bought the car 3 weeks ago and I'm assuming the previous owner must have driven it hard. People say these trannies are bullet proof but I have read about others replacing theirs too. I believe all the trannies for gen 2 are the same but I put in the same year.
Old 12-11-16, 12:03 PM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flynryan
Took my buddy and I about 8 hours on the ground in his driveway. I bought the tranny from a salvage yard for $400 with 103k on it. Overall it went fairly smooth. Didnt have to remove any of the exhaust or steering linkage. Did have to remove the starter in order to get the flywheel off and the tranny support bracket. The 3 or 4 bolts on the top are the hardest part to get out, 1 person over the top of the engine reaching down so that I could hand the 17mm with lots of extensions on it and break them loose. All in all we said it was about a 7 out of 10 for tough jobs. I needed a new transmission because ours was slipping during shifts. If you gave it alot of gas it would slip but if not too much gas it was fine but Im sure it would have got worse. I was also getting transmission CEL's. Bought the WS fluid from Toyota. Glad we did it because we saved thousands.
Mine is a 2007 Is350 with 128k miles on it before we put in the new (used) tranny.

Mannnn,, you should have taken a bunch of pics to create a DIY.
Old 12-11-16, 12:53 PM
flynryan
Rookie

I read this before doing mine so theres already a how to but this guy removed alot of parts that arent necessary to remove
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6ERPU86qSXXQ1g
Old 12-11-16, 01:38 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Been there done that at 52k miles, except i had to remove the exhaust components and the steering linkage. After removing those things it is much easier to remove the top bolts and tranny in general. I'm surprised you found one for so cheap because I paid $800 for mine but it only had 800 miles on the tranny.

Last edited by lysis250; 12-11-16 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 01:46 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Goes to show you that the lifetime fluid isn't always "lifetime fluid", especially in cases where the car was owned by a leadfoot punk kid.
Old 12-11-16, 02:02 PM
flynryan
Rookie

Originally Posted by lysis250
Been there done that at 52k miles, except i had to remove the exhaust components and the steering linkage. After removing those things it is much easier to remove the top bolts and tranny in general. I'm surprised you found one for so cheap because I paid $800 for mine but it only had 800 miles on the tranny.
I would have gladly paid $800 for a tranny with 800 miles or do you mean 80k?
Old 12-11-16, 03:42 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nope I mean 800.
Old 12-11-16, 06:22 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A tranny in the driveway on your back....that's just beast Dude....you can't get most folks to check their fluid levels never mind get their hands dirty.
Old 12-11-16, 06:36 PM
flynryan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mrfix
A tranny in the driveway on your back....that's just beast Dude....you can't get most folks to check their fluid levels never mind get their hands dirty.
Thank you! I dont know how old most of you are but Im 46. Im a little sore today but all in all glad we did it. Its my 17 yr old sons car. Hes not really mechanically inclined like his older brother and I thought it would just be easier to do it w/o him. He is appreciative though. I said it in another post but, I dont like paying anyone to do something I can do myself. Dont have a gardener, hang x-mas light myself (except this year the boys did it) and work on all the cars myself. Oh, I really impressed a HVAC guy when I told him I replaced my heat exchanger in my furnace too. Not trying to toot my own horn but I am grateful I can do things myself. My brother and I had to repair everything for our mom when we were growing up because we didnt have tons of cash.

Last edited by flynryan; 12-11-16 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 07:19 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Thank you! I dont know how old most of you are but Im 46. Im a little soar today but all in all glad we did it. Its my 17 yr old sons car. Hes not really mechanically inclined like his older brother and I thought it would just be easier to do it w/o him. He is appreciative though. I said it in another post but, I dont like paying anyone to do something I can do myself. Dont have a gardener, hang x-mas light myself (except this year the boys did it) and work on all the cars myself. Oh, I really impressed a HVAC guy when I told him I replaced my heat exchanger in my furnace too. Not trying to toot my own horn but I am grateful I can do things myself. My brother and I had to repair everything for our mom when we were growing up because we didnt have tons of cash.
Well you only have my respect man. I know what it's like and it isn't easy.
Old 12-11-16, 08:45 PM
Mason123
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to do the clutch on my 250 a couple months after having it and it took me and my buddy longer then 8 hours and it was on a lift so kudos to you man. I feel the same way about fixing it myself rather then someone else doing it
Old 12-12-16, 04:32 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I read this before doing mine so theres already a how to but this guy removed alot of parts that arent necessary to remove
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6ERPU86qSXXQ1g
Ahhh yes, I've seen this one.. Anyways good job on the trans, I know this was said previously, but yeah, most people on here can't even change their own oil.

Did you do any maintenance to the new trans before installation ? Fluid swap / Filter swap ?
Old 12-12-16, 07:17 AM
akoster
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't newer 2IS model year have a more responsive tranny in manual mode though?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Put a transmission in my IS350 yesterday