IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011+ 2nd Gen IS350 AWD got hidden supercharger in it ?

Old 12-13-16, 10:20 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
i probably go for M series or 335i for my next car or an old ISF 2014 or something i saw a 2011 ISF in my area for 37k$ CDN, V8 for a daily drive must be crazy said my co-workers but i don't care about the gas, so M3 and ISF which one handle better and faster ?
Well I'll take all the cars you mentioned and lay their benefits (I'll do my best to remain as unbiased as possible):

-The 335i has a HUGE aftermarket. The internals can handle plenty of horsepower without the need to change them out. With nothing else but a tune you can add plenty of horsepower vs an NA engine. Check out BMW tuners to see just how capable these cars actually are. Not to mention, they make way more than 300 hp stock. If you've driven one you'd know this. BMW always underrates its powertrains for whatever reason.
-The M3 (I'm guessing you're assuming E92) is definitely the best handling of the cars you listed. And I've never driven one so I can't say for certain, but if you're planning on using it as a daily, don't do it. Because its a high revving NA engine (which side note are my favorite type of engine) all the power tends to come towards the end of the rev range, not to mention peak torque is pretty high up as well (this is not ideal for a daily driver), whereas a turbo engine can have peak torque at a much lower RPM. The dual clutch transmission shifts well but according to some people I talked to who own this car and doing some research on my own, BMW tuned the new 8 speed automatic to shift just as quickly if not faster, and the 8 speed is MUCH cheaper to replace should something go wrong. If you're getting the M3 as a track car or weekend fun car, go for it, but as a daily, it is not the best idea. Not to mention, it gets the worst MPG of the 3.

Keep in mind I haven't mentioned yet the running costs on the BMWs. This is the biggest problem with any German brand. If you are planning on getting one, beware that they are not the easiest cars to work on and parts won't come cheap. Not to mention the dealer will scam you completely should you do maintenance there. And its not like they are reliable cars either. Just google 'e90 BMW problems' to see what I mean. They are amazing driving cars, but fall apart for practical use and maintenance. But if you do know someone who can work on BMWs and not burn a hole in your wallet, go for the 335i. You can tune it more and it will get better gas mileage and you could probably make it handle better than the M3.

The reason I went IS350 instead of IS-F was two things:
1. I daily drive my car, so it would make more sense to get a car that gets slightly better fuel efficiency. Plus, 306 HP already feels fast enough. And also, you can change up the suspension of the IS350 to make it handle better than a stock IS-F. The IS350 weighs ~3,600 whereas the IS-F weights ~3800, so the weight advantage will show in the corners should you mod your suspension. Not to mention, tuners have just been able to crack the ECU and tune the 2GR FSE engine to crazy proportions. Whenever they finish, it is entirely possible they can tune an IS350 to be continuously faster than an IS-F.
2. I didn't have the money for it at the time. Its very difficult to find a good condition low mileage IS-F for under 25k. Because it is such a good and reliable car, they are selling between 28k and 40k if you really want a low mileage one.

The IS-F is easily more reliable than either of the two BMWs (and judging by a few videos on YT, seems to beat E92 M3s in a straight line too) so that is a plus. The IS-F doesn't handle as well as the M3 does unfortunately, but unless you're pushing the car to its limit I doubt you'll notice it. So personally, as a daily, I would get the IS-F OR just get an IS350, wait for tuners to come out with their tunes, and then just tune that car to crazy extents. You'll save a lot of money on gas vs a 5.0L V8. But if you're sticking to the cars you mentioned:

If you want to tune your car to crazy proportions: 335i (although beware of the maintenance costs)
If you want to use your car as a weekend fun track car: M3 (although beware of the maintenance costs)
If you want to use your car every day without worry of electrical/mechanical failures and use it as a weekend fun car and still be able to beat most cars on the street: IS-F

That IS350 you have though is nothing to sneeze at. Personally I'd keep it OR maybe go for an IS-F. But hey, its your call.
The following users liked this post:
Solara350 (12-13-16)
Old 12-13-16, 08:01 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
Well I'll take all the cars you mentioned and lay their benefits (I'll do my best to remain as unbiased as possible):

-The 335i has a HUGE aftermarket. The internals can handle plenty of horsepower without the need to change them out. With nothing else but a tune you can add plenty of horsepower vs an NA engine. Check out BMW tuners to see just how capable these cars actually are. Not to mention, they make way more than 300 hp stock. If you've driven one you'd know this. BMW always underrates its powertrains for whatever reason.
-The M3 (I'm guessing you're assuming E92) is definitely the best handling of the cars you listed. And I've never driven one so I can't say for certain, but if you're planning on using it as a daily, don't do it. Because its a high revving NA engine (which side note are my favorite type of engine) all the power tends to come towards the end of the rev range, not to mention peak torque is pretty high up as well (this is not ideal for a daily driver), whereas a turbo engine can have peak torque at a much lower RPM. The dual clutch transmission shifts well but according to some people I talked to who own this car and doing some research on my own, BMW tuned the new 8 speed automatic to shift just as quickly if not faster, and the 8 speed is MUCH cheaper to replace should something go wrong. If you're getting the M3 as a track car or weekend fun car, go for it, but as a daily, it is not the best idea. Not to mention, it gets the worst MPG of the 3.

Keep in mind I haven't mentioned yet the running costs on the BMWs. This is the biggest problem with any German brand. If you are planning on getting one, beware that they are not the easiest cars to work on and parts won't come cheap. Not to mention the dealer will scam you completely should you do maintenance there. And its not like they are reliable cars either. Just google 'e90 BMW problems' to see what I mean. They are amazing driving cars, but fall apart for practical use and maintenance. But if you do know someone who can work on BMWs and not burn a hole in your wallet, go for the 335i. You can tune it more and it will get better gas mileage and you could probably make it handle better than the M3.

The reason I went IS350 instead of IS-F was two things:
1. I daily drive my car, so it would make more sense to get a car that gets slightly better fuel efficiency. Plus, 306 HP already feels fast enough. And also, you can change up the suspension of the IS350 to make it handle better than a stock IS-F. The IS350 weighs ~3,600 whereas the IS-F weights ~3800, so the weight advantage will show in the corners should you mod your suspension. Not to mention, tuners have just been able to crack the ECU and tune the 2GR FSE engine to crazy proportions. Whenever they finish, it is entirely possible they can tune an IS350 to be continuously faster than an IS-F.
2. I didn't have the money for it at the time. Its very difficult to find a good condition low mileage IS-F for under 25k. Because it is such a good and reliable car, they are selling between 28k and 40k if you really want a low mileage one.

The IS-F is easily more reliable than either of the two BMWs (and judging by a few videos on YT, seems to beat E92 M3s in a straight line too) so that is a plus. The IS-F doesn't handle as well as the M3 does unfortunately, but unless you're pushing the car to its limit I doubt you'll notice it. So personally, as a daily, I would get the IS-F OR just get an IS350, wait for tuners to come out with their tunes, and then just tune that car to crazy extents. You'll save a lot of money on gas vs a 5.0L V8. But if you're sticking to the cars you mentioned:

If you want to tune your car to crazy proportions: 335i (although beware of the maintenance costs)
If you want to use your car as a weekend fun track car: M3 (although beware of the maintenance costs)
If you want to use your car every day without worry of electrical/mechanical failures and use it as a weekend fun car and still be able to beat most cars on the street: IS-F

That IS350 you have though is nothing to sneeze at. Personally I'd keep it OR maybe go for an IS-F. But hey, its your call.
Thankz Rezo for your awesome advice, My friend also said go for ISF BMW will give me headache, i dont know how reliable Lexus are but my car start to makes roaring and humming noise, mechanic checked twice and conform Wheel Bearing still good, they all blamed Direction Winter tires that makes the noises, humming noise can be heard at 40km to 70km at 80-90 i heard roaring and at 95-99km i hear whistling of Supercharger noise like i stated above , 100km+ no noise at all LOL those guys at the Shop laughed at me and said i'm a mother-F with sensitive ears, bro i have super ears i can hear from far far away.
Old 12-14-16, 11:00 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
Thankz Rezo for your awesome advice, My friend also said go for ISF BMW will give me headache, i dont know how reliable Lexus are but my car start to makes roaring and humming noise, mechanic checked twice and conform Wheel Bearing still good, they all blamed Direction Winter tires that makes the noises, humming noise can be heard at 40km to 70km at 80-90 i heard roaring and at 95-99km i hear whistling of Supercharger noise like i stated above , 100km+ no noise at all LOL those guys at the Shop laughed at me and said i'm a mother-F with sensitive ears, bro i have super ears i can hear from far far away.
No problem man. I understand the 'choosing a car' thing all too well since I chose between 10 cars before getting my IS350. Lexus has been rated the most reliable brand for quite some time now, so you shouldn't have much to worry about there. If you got the car inspected and they said everything was okay, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. And I completely get that, I notice every little sound too lol