IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is wrong with my IS250?

Old 12-07-16, 02:43 PM
Wiskey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is wrong with my IS250?

I have study the instruction/user manual, but cannot find information on what this warning message is?
I need som help.
Sorry for my bad english, but im Norwegian. :-)
I add a picture of the instrument panel.
Old 12-07-16, 02:46 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

It's indicating an issue with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. That is what the ( ! ) symbol means.

It could just mean one of the TPMS sensors has a dead battery.

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 12-08-16 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 12-07-16, 02:53 PM
Wiskey
Driver School Candidate

Ok, is it possible to disable this messages, or disable the pressure messurement?
Old 12-07-16, 02:55 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

No, not to my knowledge.

Have you been messing with the menu on the cluster? You may check to make sure you didn't accidentally switch it to secondary TPMS. The car can accept 2, if you accidentally changed it while scrolling through the menu it may be looking for sensors that don't exist.
Old 12-07-16, 03:08 PM
Wiskey
Driver School Candidate

Ok. No, i have tryed both, but the message wont go off.
As i live in Norway and need to have 2 set of tyres, one for summer and one for winter, i think that the winter tyres dont
have sensors... :-(

Anyway, thanks for your advise :-)
Old 12-07-16, 04:18 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's your TPMS. Yeah that would make sense when you change wheels and you don't swap the TPMS too thats what happens.
Old 12-07-16, 05:58 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Yeah it's your TPMS system and unfortunately unless you register new sensors for the winter it won't go away. There have been some people on CL who've made a quote unquote "pipe bomb" with a sensor as a fix. You can probably find it with the search.
Old 12-08-16, 06:05 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wiskey
Ok. No, i have tryed both, but the message wont go off.
As i live in Norway and need to have 2 set of tyres, one for summer and one for winter, i think that the winter tyres dont
have sensors... :-(

Anyway, thanks for your advise :-)
Yeah, if the winter tires do not have sensors it will continue to display that message. The only way to fix it is either install TPMS sensors in the wheels and register the sensors as a second set via Techstream, or like others mentioned here, you can do the "pipe bomb" trick. That is where people register the sensors then put all 4 in a piece of pvc, seal it up with end caps and install a valve stem in it to pressure it up to fool the system into thinking it's ok.
Old 12-08-16, 01:18 PM
ExtraZero8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tungstn-IS
or like others mentioned here, you can do the "pipe bomb" trick. That is where people register the sensors then put all 4 in a piece of pvc, seal it up with end caps and install a valve stem in it to pressure it up to fool the system into thinking it's ok.
Wouldn't it be only marginally more difficult to just install sensors in the winter tires?
Old 12-08-16, 01:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

2IS are getting up there in age where the TPMS batteries are at the end of its life. I had the same issue where the tire shop found out 2 of the TPMS had low batteries, so I bought a couple new OEMs online, changed the sensors out, tire ship reprogrammed them to the car, and everything is good and clear
Old 12-08-16, 02:18 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ExtraZero8
Wouldn't it be only marginally more difficult to just install sensors in the winter tires?
Yes. I think a lot of people just don't want to deal with buying another set of sensors, installing them and then having them programmed with Techstream. If you just keep reusing the same set of TPMS, you'd have to dismount and remount tires every time you swapped wheels so that's a way around it. Either that or they have aftermarket wheels that aren't TPMS compatible...
Old 12-08-16, 02:40 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you keep the summer wheels close enough to the car, such as in a garage next to the car, the car will pick up the sensors and the light will go away. It usually takes a day or so before the car realizes the wheels are not nearby any longer and shows the error message.

The best solution is to get a set of sensors off eBay, I believe I got a set before for like $30-50. First, I tried the pipe trick and it did the job until I had an excuse to get the sensors properly installed.

Buy some PVC pipe and 2 end caps, glue one cap on, and then put the sensors inside with some sort of soft materials to prevent the sensors from flying around, then drill a hole in the other end cap and install a schrader valve, throw in the sensors, glue on the other end cap, then use a bike pump to pressurize to 38 PSI. Then you can get a tire shop to program them as your secondary TPMS sensors (our cars can be programmed for 2 sets). Or... get Toyota Techstream and the USB cable and program them yourself. You will have to read up on how to do this. Make sure you take photos of the serial numbers on each sensor, as you will need the numbers for programming.
Old 12-08-16, 03:00 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I would just ignore the light for the next few months. Like Getafewliv said, if your summer wheels are close enough the light will go off.

If you did get another set of sensors, I curious if you could have them programmed and just leave them in the trunk instead of spending the money to have them installed on each wheel.
Old 12-09-16, 06:02 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mrfix
If you did get another set of sensors, I curious if you could have them programmed and just leave them in the trunk instead of spending the money to have them installed on each wheel.
Well, you could. But without pressure on them you will still have the light on 24/7, t will just say low tire instead of check system. That is why people put them in a pressurized tube of PVC.
Old 12-09-16, 09:22 AM
808newbie
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

put the tpms in the spare, just make sure you check your tire pressure to make sure its within the psi range