IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Spec D Headlights with a Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 11:54 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec D Headlights with a Retrofit

As others have said, and reviews on their own website confirm, the quality of the Spec D Tuning Headlamp for the 2IS is very sub-par. Let me start off by saying that they actually look decent (when not lit) from a purely aesthetic standpoint... That said, the projectors in the headlamp assemblies are marginal (at best); certainly nothing to write home about. Unfortunately, the ones that came in mine weren't even aligned horizontally. I fully understand that some products of a batch will be bad, but QC should be catching these types of issues before a product is shipped to a customer. I ended up with these due to an unfortunate mishap that destroyed the front driver-side headlamp assembly. This wrecked a headlamp that I had built from scratch and had phenomenal light output quality. Because I didn't was one side of my vehicle looking different than the other, I advocated that both headlamps be replaced with the Sped D Tuning headlamps.

I've had these installed for less than three weeks and the driver's side DRL LEDs have already failed:

Here's a pic of the passenger side so you can see the difference:

And now... a few shots of these crappy projectors (i inserted the red lines so you can visually get an idea of how bad this looks from 20+feet away):

I've got a replacement set coming that I'm going to do a quad retrofit on with BI-LEDs projectors from IPHCar / iJDMToy for the main lowbeams, and Morimoto MH1 7.0s for the highbeams. Since the LED DRLs in the headlamps have already proven to be highly unreliable, I'll be installing Morimoto XBS 3.0 switchback strips in place of the LED's that came with the headlamps.

Here's an output shot of the BI-LED projectors:

Stay tuned and sub for updates!
Old 12-06-16, 08:51 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Yikes, I would of sent it back for a replacement if they failed that quickly. Definitely interested in seeing how the LED projector retrofit goes, would be the first time I've seen one done on the IS. Did you consider Corolla or Murano LED projectors at all?
Old 12-06-16, 12:38 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Wow. I don't have the Spec D head lights but another eBay version and they are still fine. That sucks. Don't they have a one year warranty?
Old 01-01-17, 09:41 AM
dci4life
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for Retrofitting. Total noob and looking into this stuff since my headlights are just pissing me off. When they say they used RX350 does that just mean any RX350 headlight projector and they swap right in? What are the years that are the most sought after? Trying to learn a little more about this Retrofitting side of the car world..