IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Could something cause battery die all the sudden?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-16, 05:32 PM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could something cause battery die all the sudden?

I purchased a 06 IS250 a couple of months ago. The car is in perfect condition with all the service records. This afternoon I took the car to get gas. I tried opening the door several hours later and nothing. I had to use the key and got nothing. Not even a light came on. I currently have a charger on the battery but I'm just surprised that a battery would be fine and then completely dead a few hours later. The battery looks fairly new.
Old 12-03-16, 05:38 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's possible. I would say just take it somewhere and have them test it.
Old 12-03-16, 05:42 PM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SQLnovice
It's possible. I would say just take it somewhere and have them test it.
The battery?
Old 12-03-16, 06:22 PM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

The battery is really dead. I got the car to start with a jumper box but it died as soon as I took the jumper box off. I didn't have enough juice in the jumper box to jump it again. I'll have to dry again later after I recharge the jumper box.
Old 12-03-16, 06:31 PM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

Will I need to reprogram anything once I get the battery charge or a new battery?
Old 12-03-16, 07:00 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sbrodaz
Will I need to reprogram anything once I get the battery charge or a new battery?
Sometimes a cell can go bad just like that causing the battery to fail almost instantly. Don't even try to charge it. Running on that battery risks messing things up like your computer etc. Just go get a new battery and install it. You should not have to reprogram anything but the car may run rough for a little while as it needs to readjust the computer (air/fuel, etc). After driving it for a couple of days you should be back to normal.
Old 12-03-16, 07:18 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^You will have to reprogram the windows and the seat memory.

Lou
Old 12-04-16, 02:05 AM
UnderCover
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the car was running and then turned off when you removed just the jumper box I think your alternator is dead instead. Battery isn't doing much work when the engine is on, it's just charging.

Either way, battery should read about 12vdc with car off, and around 13.5vdc with engine on.

I'm guessing you're reading will be less than 12vdc with the car on requiring an alternator replacement...

But please do keep updated, good stuff to know.
Old 12-04-16, 07:43 AM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

The battery is completely dead and does not seem to hold a charge. I'm going out of town for a few days this week for work. I won't be able to replace the battery until Friday at the earliest. The car has 70,000 miles. I hope it's not the alternator. I may just have the battery tested before purchasing a new on incase it is the alternator. I'm pretty sure it is the battery. Once I got it started lights would flicker and the car would die. My battery charger does not seem to be working right. Or it is not working right due to the battery being bad. I have a battery tender on my land cruiser in the garage that I could throw on the lexus but that'll take forever to charge it, if it even charges. I don't see a battery replacement in the service records. The previous owner went to lexus for everything. Don't batteries have a date on them?

Last edited by sbrodaz; 12-04-16 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-04-16, 07:56 AM
flynryan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Pull a battery out of 1 of your other vehicles and put it in the Is. Start the Is and put a volt meter to the battery and see what the amperage is, should be 13.5 to 14 ish volts. I just had the same exact problem with my sons Is a couple of days ago. The alternator was bad and in turn it ruined the battery. I replaced the alternator myself, it wasnt that difficult if you are somewhat ok with handtools. The hardest part was getting the thing out once it was loose.
Old 12-04-16, 08:05 AM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flynryan
Pull a battery out of 1 of your other vehicles and put it in the Is. Start the Is and put a volt meter to the battery and see what the amperage is, should be 13.5 to 14 ish volts. I just had the same exact problem with my sons Is a couple of days ago. The alternator was bad and in turn it ruined the battery. I replaced the alternator myself, it wasnt that difficult if you are somewhat ok with handtools. The hardest part was getting the thing out once it was loose.
I don't have another battery that would fit. I'm pretty good with hand tools. It's just so damn cold outside now. We're supposed to get 3-5" of snow today. I was excited to drive the IS in the snow for the first time and of course it won't start
Old 12-04-16, 08:24 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That is just the way batteries are - you can turn the car off to buy gas and have the battery be dead. They used to say it was a characteristic of 12V batteries, I'm not sure that was ever true. Just last week my son stopped at my house for just a minute and then found his year old Denali battery dead - so dead the car would not even stay running once it was jumped. "Internal short", a new battery and everything was fine.

I wouldn't really even look very hard for any cause like an alternator or starter - my mantra has become "it's always the battery". That's after I replace a few alternators and starters. When I lived in the Midwest it was always "the battery died because of the cold" and of course it does take more to crank a cold engine, but when I moved to Arizona it was "the battery died because of the heat" and it is true that many more batteries are sold here in the hottest months.

Buy a new battery and get out and try your car in the snow.

Dave Mac
Old 12-04-16, 09:25 AM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

It's the battery and alternator. I put the battery in from the land cruiser and it fired right up. I let it run for a bit and eventually the battery light came on. My battery charger also said the alternator along with the battery were bad. I forgot I have a 3000/3 month warranty on the car. I'll have to put a battery in it and hopefully have enough juice to get to the mechanic. Luckily the mechanic is a block or two away and provides a loaner. The lexus with have to sit without a battery till Friday at the earliest. OOOH do I want to test this car in this snow right now.
Old 12-04-16, 11:09 AM
flynryan
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought an alternator from Oriellys for $170 with lifetime warranty. Im in Ca so its about 70* degrees out now. Sorry its so cold there
Old 12-04-16, 11:22 AM
sbrodaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flynryan
I bought an alternator from Oriellys for $170 with lifetime warranty. Im in Ca so its about 70* degrees out now. Sorry its so cold there
At least now hopefully I just have to buy a battery and the alternator is covered under my warranty and I only have to pay a $100 deductible.

Quick Reply: Could something cause battery die all the sudden?